Will Grip Training Beef Up My Actual Hands?

cajunjay

Mobster has said that lifting one of these 50lbs blocks is easier than lifting the blob, not sure by how much though.

As for picking up the goods myself, I don't think that's going to happen - it's a long treck from Cornwall!

I think im gonna buy a 30lb block weight from Stan, And a guy on ebay has offered me the coc trainer for 25 euros, these tools should get me going on the right path I hope. Or will I need more tools even to start with? Also I'll grab a pony clamp or 2 from my local hardware store

From the information Ive gathered so far on this thread I feel ive got to hit the block weights hard and the grippers aswell. All I have at the moment is regular sports shop grippers and a home made block weight (a peice of 2x4)

Well I have the powerball to, but not sure what kind of workout it actually gives. It does get kinda hard to hold once it gets going so I take it it must help somewhat with grip strength. :D

Edited by cajunjay

Cajunjay,

I've only been training grip for 8 months. and I've taken these past 2 months off for injury (tweaked my middle finger). I can mash the #1 anytime and have now continued the chase for the #2 (finger permitting)

I like to work with block weights and currently have some 25lbers and some 40lbers. I warm up and toss the 25er from hand to hand, then work two hand assisted lifts for the 40lber.

I've also thrown some towels over my pull-up bar. Grab the towel instead of the bar. $2 for a great grip workout.

Past that, it's some sledge work, bending, and 2" thick dumbbells

I have a very unstructured grip training. I listen to my hands and work what I feel like working. Some want a more structured routine, and if you're shooting for an elite goal I would recommend a specialized routine, but I'm doing a-ok for the time being. Getting stronger, having fun.

You'll find that your weight won't make much difference in improving your grip strength. I simply mentioned my weight to show people that the increased mass in my hands was from muscle, not because I was husky.

Good luck with your grip training. This is the #1 place to learn.

I have made a dumbell with a 2 inch diameter but using loads of tape to increase the thickness of the bar, im not sure what this is supposed to do will the thicker bar make my grip better if i do deadlifts?

Instead of using tape to thicken the bar, try PVC pipe.

I wrapped and taped some washcloths around my dumbbell handles, then slid some 2" diameter pipe pieces over top that. Voila - thick handled dumbbells.