Gripboard Movie Gallery Update

Bill Piche

I didn't see the videos, but is this the "Brad Johnson" from the Ironmind catalogue???

Yep. Doing a one-finger chin with one hand while pinching with the other.

Unreal. I haven't been so shocked since I saw the pic of Tommy Heslep two-finger pinching the 45's.

Edited by Finnegann

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad

• Bill Piche

• MIKE HALEY RILEY CLOE

• Darco

Many people try their whole life to do that and fail. Congratulations on one of the most elite grip feats that can be done.

Outstanding!

That is just too cool!

When I saw the title I thought you were going to be one of those 135lb ex lightweight wrestlers. I was even more impressed when I saw all that extra muscle you have to support. WOW!!!!

I'm at work and can't watch the video until I get home. Somebody tell me what it is, I don't want to wait! :yikes

Thanks a lot for the compliments.

Aeroman-I had to rotate the video because it needed to be held sideways to get my feet in. The rotation distorted my body a little and made me appear a little more muscular than I am. I am 5'8" and weigh 145 pounds.

Raziel-I cut a two 8" sections out of a 2"x10". Drilled a hole through both and put a threaded rod through the holes. I placed washers and nuts on both sides of both boards. You can also adjust the distance apart that the boards are to increase and decrease the difficulty. You have to hang it from something. I hung it to the rafters but could also be hung from a bar or tree.

Mike-It was a 72 pound Kettlebell. I can do more weight but on video it appeared that I was jumping. I wanted to display a slow pull-up with a hold at the top.

Brad

yes awesome indeedie!! :rock

so you can do rafterchins.. thats pretty damn good!!! howmany others can do that?? and then ADD 72 POUNDS TO IT ALL !!! HOLY SHEEEIT!!

inspiring to say the least, get to your local rock gym now!!

~Steve

Thats insane Brad! :rock

That video just blew me away man!! :bow:bow:bow

Humans are not able to do that. DNA test please! I think we have the missing link as a member of the board. Do people ever look up trying to find you in the basement?

I saw history today. I can die now!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have several other things that I am working on with the rafters. It is a lot of fun dreaming up different things to do and then practicing them. A one arm rafter pull-up is a goal of mine. In order to achieve this, I would have to be able to do a one arm pull-up (I can) and pinch grip my entire bodyweight with one hand (not close yet). I periodically test how close I am by placing a bathroom scale on a chair or stool, stand on the scale and pull with one hand to see how much weight is left on the scale. I have not done this for a while but I know that I have got a LONG ways to go.

Brad

Awesome video!!!

As for the one arm rafter chin, grabbing your wrist with your free hand might be a "in-between" step. (I know I am not qualified to give Brad advice on rafters, but it did help me ease into one-arm pullups on a bar).

Or how bout 2 fingers on each hand rafter pinch?

How much can you pinch on a block or with plates, Brad?

That's crazy! You make it look easy. Awesome stuff!!

I've never seen anything like that before. :bow

AP- I'll try the two fingers rafter chin in my next workout. I rarely work my pinch grip other than directly on the rafters. I used to do more pinch work after the rafters but my grip and skin is usually fried by then. I can do a pinch chin on a single rafter with around 30 pounds attached so I am guessing that I could pull 175 with two hands from a wood block. I would not be able to pull quite as much with plates since they are harder to grip than wood. If you look closely behind the duct in my weighted rafter pull-up, you will see something round. Those are two smooth 25 pound weight plates attached to the rafters that I sometimes do pinch chins from. It is definitely harder than from a single rafter. With rafter chinning feats, it is about your pinch grip strength relative to your bodyweight. I am not even in the ball park of the pinch grip greats (David Horne, Soren, Gillingham, the Vingeants and others :bow ) but I would need to get to that level in order to do a one arm pinch chin. That is definitely a tall order! I plan to just enjoy the process and see what happens.

Brad

Well, now that I know it was 72 lbs. (as if it wasnt already one of the most impressive things I have ever seen) , and at 145Lbs. of BWT, :rock:bow:rock:bow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNREAL :blink Mike

The rafters workout?

That cool to do that.

What workout do you do?