How Have You Injured Your Hands?

Dumnorix

Damaged both wrists performing heavy cheating curls(240lbs).

It took me 6 months to completly heal.

Damaged my knuckle pounding on Makiwara(wooden board) & heavy sand bag

(actually not sand, small rocks).

Strained my right thumb when I first started block weight deadlift.

My advise is don't curl heavy with wide grip & don't pound on Makiwara or sandgbags.

• 2 years later...

bump in hope of new peeps not makin the same mistakes....

p.s. after reading this i've come to the conclusion that.....Bending is the Devil....or just straight up hawdko'

got tendonitis in left wrist. after 4 yellow in 1 min . :E my right hand is semi-Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed after lots of overcrushing and grip training every day with no rest. :)

and i cant close my #2 now. i think its because i dont have any rest between training. going on a 2-3 day rest now . feel better already after 1 day. my forearm have gotten bigger and i feel the strength is coming back.

Edited by Yersinia

Numerous falls in training damaged both wrists. Freshman year of college, when learning the spin technique in shotput using a 20lb shot I hit the technique perfect for the first time. I was way strong already and my hand could not take the force of the release. Loud snap and middle/ring fingers touched the back of my hand. I ended up not breaking anything but I tore ligaments, tore tendons, and ruptured the vulnar plate. Surgery and a removable cast and rehab on that one. I never really threw shot well after that. But, the injury allowed me to focus on a new event for me which was hammer throw and it ended up being my best event. I got all-american in it in 1995, and the 35lb weight in 96'. Junior year of college the first time I tried to power clean 405lbs I had a bad catch on the left. I didn't catch high enough and on the shoulder. I was rock bottom with the bar trying to tear my thumb off and could not dump. I ended up having to stand up with it and muscle the weight up into the racked position. It really tore my wrist up for a while. I recently found out that I had actually broke the little wrist bone where the thumb bone connects to the wrist. That was over 10 years ago. It was daily pain until I started doing sledge levering. I guess that has helped finally rehab it. All in all I'm very happy with any improvements in my hand or wrist strength as a result of the injuries.

- Aaron

Just recently, I strained my right thumb a bit while doind a warmup with relatively light but big pony clamp..pissed me of big time. I guess it was becaase my thumbs were sore to begin with that day from previous grip workouts. Plus I was sloppy..but I learned from that.

Couple of other hand injuries happened when I played hockey, from slashing I recieved, my left thumb still reminds me of it at times and it's 8 years since I quit playing.

Love hurts

I have been really lucky to not have any serious hand injuries, but I have had a few.

Boxers fracture right middle knuckle (Going for the body...caught the elbow....1-0 elbow)

Broken/severely jammed? right middle finger (gymnastics, started after 2 years off...bad form)

Nerve damage right index (bending)

Smashed left index (Rock....they had to cut the sides by the fingernail off)

Tendonitis left middle knuckle (Grippers)

I have slammed fingers in car doors and such, but these are the only injuries that still affect me. The boxers fracture is the worst because it still hurts when I do grippers and I just have to train through it (got that injury a long time before gripping). Nerve damage feels cool because when I stroke the side of the finger it gets all tingly and starts twitching.

hmm.. lets see...

-crushed my fingers several times (between 2x4 and wall, between planks etc...)

-hit meself on finger with hammer few times

-cut 3 of my fingers with big knife when cutting ice cream as kid, 3 cuts to bone, no tendons bcut

-trigger finger on middle finger (doctors said its ok if it doenst get worse, rly?)

-strained both of my wrists when trying to lift 5m log (which apparently weighted alot more than i expected)

oh well, construction site never is a safe place, and lumberjacking neither...

Edited by bliss

I touched on this topic a few months back in an article I did for Iron Grip. I certainly dont think that injury should be an expected part of training. It is certainly very possible to develop world class strength withough destroying your hands in the process. I would say the key to this is to focus more on recovery, as it seems that few people do and also the development of opposing muscle groups. Bending is a high risk activity anyway so the potential for soft tissue damage is always prevalent

There is a guy in our gym I'm good friends with and he, like many of his ilk in gyms the world over, trains nearly every day. He's a good guy with some meat on his back and pecs but will never tread the lifting platform or posing dias. Recently he's sniffles, upset stomach and so on. I have said 'take a day off - you're over trained'. This went on for three weeks and finally today he's having the first of three complete days rest.

Far too many trainees forget the importance of the recovary process.

That said I still nurse my prolapsed disc through many a workout - as Dave did his shoulder last year and just today tore the skin on my left hand middle finger again as I did last week doing V-bar work.

I dislocated my thumb (the middle joint) in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu going against a big fat 270lb guy. He was in my half-guard and when I reversed him, as I rolled over, I guess my thumb was in a bad position. That hurt my thickbar and pinch training for a few weeks, but now I am back up to par. (par for me)

I dislocated my thumb (the middle joint) in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu going against a big fat 270lb guy. He was in my half-guard and when I reversed him, as I rolled over, I guess my thumb was in a bad position. That hurt my thickbar and pinch training for a few weeks, but now I am back up to par. (par for me)

Woodworking...

Table saws + fingers = :blink

also, Exacto knife + thumb = stitches

[edit] Oh, and vBar. That sucker will rip calluses right off!

Edited by Careful With That Axe Eugene

While I routinely tear skin while climbing and wide pinch, those are not big deals.

Last year when I was learning to squat clean (something I never really learned anyway) I caught 215 with my hand between the bar and my shoulder. I had hand pains in that hand (left hand) anytime I did overhead stuff for a while.

The only other hand injury I've had, and only other exercise related injury I have had, was messing around with a friend, I jammed my thumb. It has been a couple months, and it hasn't really healed, it just doesn't hurt that often. It'll come up about once a week now, and hurt a bit when applying pressure on the tip, as in pushups on fingertips. But otherwise, it's fine.

I can do a few more other than dropping the stone on my finger, I guess. Multiple nice big callous removals - 840 lb frame carry in Vegas 2003, 330 farmers at the American Hercules in 2000 (let Odd Haugen talk me into overgripping), Truck wheelbarrow at Nats in 2003.

Grinding steel for FBBC customers & stuck my left index finger in the bench grinder. This will not bring the wheel to a halt, I learned.

Peeled the end of my thumb off cutting limes back when I bartended. Adding lime juice to a big open cut is a BAD idea.

Dropped a brand new carving knife I was buying for my mom & caught it (partially) by reflex. The grip was on the blade & it slid right through my hand, opening my middle finger to the tendons. 10 stitches, peeled the whole finger from the first knuckle to the base.

The grip was on the blade & it slid right through my hand, opening my middle finger to the tendons. 10 stitches, peeled the whole finger from the first knuckle to the base.

Sounds like a great knife. :rock:tongue

the lastest one - tore my meniscus in my right wrist, currently undergoing physical therapy, they have me doing grip related excercises, but its slow in healing

broken fingers, index and pinky on left, thumb and index on right

nerve damage on left hand...hand sliced open on barb wire fence (12 stiches)

tons of cuts, slices, gouges, my hands look almost as bad as my grandfathers and he worked as a farmer for 40 years!...

Ha! More than any other part of my body, my hands have absorbed a lot of trauma.. including running my finger lengthwise in to a tablesaw (worst of all) to getting my hand caught in a homemade hydraulic woodsplitter (second worst- could feel my bones bending in the back of my hand :() to all manners of cuts, and broken fingers (both pinkies essentially non-functional). I'm still lucky to have good grips! Today I had 2 stiches put in a gaping knuckle wound I got 2 weeks ago just to get it started to heal.

John Scribner

It might be easier to list what I haven't hurt, not just on my hands but my whole body. One hand injury of note I guess was when I was doing a hand jam in a roof and everything blew except my right hand - it slipped down about a foot and caught - peeling the whole back of my hand off in one big flapper. Had a heck of a time getting the thing out hanging there in space with the darn thing stuck in the crack. Might not have been so bad but I had that night and another day to go to finish the route. Kind of sore that second day.

Ucl tear of right thumb,scaphoid fx of left wrist,collateral ligament damage l and r index fingers,vular plate tear of l index finger,5th metacarpal fx of r hand 3x and left hand 2x or 3x,i forget :unsure,boxers knuckle both hands,r thumb severe lacerations 34 yrs. ago and stil hurts like a ***** when hit due to nerve damage,numerous cuts and stitches,etc.injuries due to w/o and stupid choices :cry

I can't count the number of scars on my hands other than cuts, stitches, burns,... I've broke a couple fingers that never saw medical attention and I ripped the extensor tendon off my right pinky so the tip just dangled, it's more or less normal now

after thinking about it I should probably become a hand model!!!!!!