About The Inch Dumbell

daniel_lidstrom

Theres been a few who handled it with ease first try and I will bet theres tons more who would too.

And the guys that HAVE done it on their very first attempt aren't the ordinary guys off the street either. They've weight trained and/or are very strong.

Theres plenty of guys off the street that would lift it. Just average men. The only problem is you have to find them.

Theres plenty of guys off the street that would lift it. Just average men. The only problem is you have to find them.

Matt, on this point I'm going to respectfully disagree with you and I'll tell you why.

Thomas Inch toured with his infamous DB and lots (as in thousands) of "average men" tried and failed to lift it.

Most of these men were manual laborers... farmers, construction, etc., and these men KNEW what heavy weights felt like. And they still couldn't lift it.

So your average Joe Blow doesn't stand a chance against a DB like the Inch. Sorry.

I had neither and still trained to lift it - stop making excuses. :flame

I'm not making excuses, I'm just telling you what I have!!! :angry::angry:

Then lift it.

If I was there with you right now you'd get it within weeks. So why aren't you getting it when I'm not?

I think there are a lot of men who could lift it on their first try such as some basketball players and pro and college linemen. Larger hands coupled with their great strength would allow them to do this without much if any training. At the Snowman challenge, Brian Schoonveld thought that if Shaq were to try the Millenium he wouldn't be that far off.

I think there are a lot of men who could lift it on their first try such as some basketball players and pro and college linemen. Larger hands coupled with their great strength would allow them to do this without much if any training. At the Snowman challenge, Brian Schoonveld thought that if Shaq were to try the Millenium he wouldn't be that far off.

Yup and I'd add Jevon Kearse to that list as well.

QUOTE (Sybersnott @ Apr 1 2004, 11:52 PM)

QUOTE (mobsterone @ Apr 1 2004, 03:38 PM)

I had neither and still trained to lift it - stop making excuses.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just telling you what I have!!!

Then lift it.

If I was there with you right now you'd get it within weeks. So why aren't you getting it when I'm not?

Steve, how are you doing on the MB these days?

Since commencing training for the Iron Grip I have only done thick handled db work pre the last Intense Fitness Kettlebell seminar. I was equalling my old PB of 300.1lbs. At the OH awards I did a partial lift immediatly after bending a 206 kilo challange bar and followed the MDB with a CoC 3.

Depending on how I get on with the Iron Grip comp I will either keep training for the European or start working on the CoC 4 and doing whatever other training takes my fancy (thick handle dumbell work obviously).

Mobsterone you have world class strength when it comes to thick bars. I have a question how much are you currently handling in the rolling thunder, and what is your max?

Also how much can you deadlift with a regular bar using the alternate grip, and using the double overhand grip?

How much can you deadlift with a 2 inch bar with both grips? Excuse me for all the questions but if I shoot for atleast 80% of your maxes I will have accomplished a superior level of strength. Thanks in advance and keel up the outstanding work.

Currently I am not using the RT. If it's not in the Iron Grip, then I'm not training on it. However, just for kicks, I had a quick go to show off with a girl a few weeks ago and did, on my old handle, 120 kilos.

Ditto deadlift. When I got real heavy I had to use a thicker than normal bar. I may be adding this into the next few weeks training as it served me well for the one hand lift and I'll be aiming for 1000+ pounds in the partial movement. I used to swap the grip back and forth using 700 both hands knuckles forward, 900 - left hand forward-right reversed and then at my best 1074 (I think) with the hands reversed (my strongest position). All on a 1.5 inch thick bar.

On a 2 inch thick bar and in preperation for the 2003 Iron grip I used to do timed holds with 300 kilo (GT 330 kilos or about 700), again in the partial deadlift movement. I got 105 kilos on a 7 feet long, 2 inch thick bar for the one hand barbell deadlift (photo in gallery) which was the winning total in that event at the IG 2003.

Is the PDA inch the best tool to train for it for those of us who don't want

to buy an inch replica right away?

IMHO yes, it apears to be the best tool.

Is the PDA inch the best tool to train for it for those of us who don't want

to buy an inch replica right away?

IMHO yes, it apears to be the best tool.

Thanks. I'll consider getting one, I've always been happy with PDA.

I would disagree, sure the PDA DB is ok, but in order to load it properly with decent collars, you'll only have room for maybe 120 pounds, hardly Inch level. Not to mention the different leverages involved.

Then theres actually having to deal with PDA.

Well anyhow, theres better ways and better tools to train for lifting the Inch.

Good Luck!

I would agree with Johns comments.

I would save the dosh up and get the real thing,there is nothing like seeing and feeling the real thing to bring you down to earth,unless you are one of the lucky people :D strong enough to lift it.

I would just get some pipe the inch handle diameter and cut it up and then getsteel disks welded onto each end in various weights,you could gey say a 100lber,125lber,150lber etc and they will all be non revolving keeping the inch feel.

I have lifted my inch loadable in the past at the inch weight ,but cheated,it was easy to jam in the wrist against the plates and lift with a tilt,then when you tranfer this over to the true inch you are in for a rude awakening :blush

Mine is still a large paper weight at the moment but its a great conversation piece and looks beastly just sittin there laughing at me,best buy i ever made :D

I would disagree,  sure the PDA DB is ok,  but in order to load it properly with decent collars, you'll only have room for maybe 120 pounds, hardly Inch level.  Not to mention the different leverages involved.

Well anyhow, theres better ways and better tools to train for lifting the Inch. 

Good Luck!

John, your post is inaccurate. 120lbs?

Here's a picture of the PDA Inch loaded to 158lbs using just 10 lbers.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.p...&cmd=si&img=308

Actually my post is accurate, I said decent collars, I would watch my toes if I was using those.

Then theres the problem of the plates in the way of your wrists.

Actually my post is accurate, I said decent collars, I would watch my toes if I was using those.

Then theres the problem of the plates in the way of your wrists.

Those are some of the best collars on the market. Double locking. And, they prevent plate rotation. I could film a drop test for you too when there's time if you want? :)

I suppose if you want to train a tilted lift you are right.

When it comes time for me to train for the Inch I will probably use the Inch loadable trainer from Detroit Barbell. I think this is as good for the Inch as the Blobett from PDA is for the Blob.

-HH