The Mmg Lineup!

Bill Piche

Sort of like not allowing a record holder to break his own record until someone else comes along and ties it.

What does everyone think about this. Should we make the next level up gripper when no one else besides one guy can close the previous level?

Course we could make the gripper and then the guy at the top flops with it. I suppose that could be ok.

The MMG3 is a .306 wire with 1/4" mounting.  So, if you want Warren to make you a copy, that's what you need to tell him. And, 2.75 between the handles.

Bill,

Could you post the specs for the MMG 1 and 2 as well?

Thanks,

Brian

MMG1 - .295 spring, 1/4" mount, 2.75 width

MMG2 - .295 spring, 3/16" mount, 2.75 width

Yes, 1/16 makes a noticable difference.

Rather than go 1/8", it was decided to jump to the next spring size.

Should set up a poll for this but here is my answer.

Keep increasing the grippers until no one can do it. As soon as someone closes the hardest one make the next one.

Here is my rationale:

For historical purposes this will provide a level that a competitor can do and show the level at which he failed. When someone comes along and closes the gripper he failed at there will be no question that the new guy is the king. Injuries, aging and other factors could prevent the top guy from being able to continue years later and you would have never set the bar to his level. We do not know what the timeframe that these records will last. It could be 10,15,20, hell 50 years, who know maybe the gripboard will still be in existence (Wanna - any heirs to the throne??? :D )

Having one guy 3 or 4 levels above the rest will put some competitive guys into training overdrive...

The MMG3 is a .306 wire with 1/4" mounting.  So, if you want Warren to make you a copy, that's what you need to tell him. And, 2.75 between the handles.

Bill,

Could you post the specs for the MMG 1 and 2 as well?

Thanks,

Brian

MMG1 - .295 spring, 1/4" mount, 2.75 width

MMG2 - .295 spring, 3/16" mount, 2.75 width

Yes, 1/16 makes a noticable difference.

Rather than go 1/8", it was decided to jump to the next spring size.

Based on those specs and my own experience I would guess that the jump from MM2 to MM3 is greater than the jump from MM1 to MM2.

I like the jump from the MM2 to the MM3. It would have been very difficult to get the jump to be the exact same.

I assume all MMG's have same "coil wind" parameter. That parameter also has a fairly significant effect on so-called force-to-close. E.g., what is the coil inside (or outside) diameter?

On other grippers I own, this dimension can vary from ~.875" to over an inch.

I'm also a bit confused as to the definition of "handle mounting". Is it the distance from the handle top plane to the "bottom" of the inside perimeter of the coil. That might make sense since manufacturing could easily reference handle top to mandrel bottom. All my other BB grippers have ~ .25" handle mounting dist referenced to inside perimeter. I imagine Tetting might want to be consistent with this for the MMGs. Also, the MMG handle mounting figures just posted make more sense if referenced to inside perimeter.

As an onlooker I think it would be nice to keep the levels going up until no-one could close it. I suppose that it is possible (though unlikely) that someone MAY be head and shoulders (2 levels) ahead of the competition.

Finances allowing, of course.

I think that it would be a good idea to create a higher level when someone has done the current highest. No sense in making him wait for others to catch up to him if he's ready to move forward now.

BC.

I think that it would be a good idea to create a higher level when someone has done the current highest.  No sense in making him wait for others to catch up to him if he's ready to move forward now.

BC.

I agree, even if no one can close it right away, someone will eventually unless its made to WC proportions.

Edited by jad

Of course its going to become a lot more difficult to judge the strength of these higher grippers if only one person in the world can close it. This will be a big problem if we want to continue to have several copies of each level in case one gets lost/stolen/broke...

I think Brian said it best. There really is no point in making the best wait. Let him keep climbing if he can.

I think Brian said it best. There really is no point in making the best wait. Let him keep climbing if he can.

Ok. Sounds fine by me.

yeah wanna That is a great thing you have done here for the board memebers

Just my two cents worth about immediatly building the next hardest (or higher levels). Remember when Alexev was the first man to raise 500 lbs over his head. soon after many guys could do it. same with the 600 lb bench press and the new record of 1125 in the squat. After one does it the rest catch up quickly. Plan on building higher levels before they are needed.