General PSA | Attachment storage limit

Cannon

I wanted to give a heads up about using attachments, such as posting pictures or memes. As image files get larger and larger, some members are close to the allowable limit. As you can imagine, the content posted across 23 years by the GripBoard's roughly 20k members  can add up to a lot. We have to host all that content.

Every member has a personal storage limit. The limit is 200 MB. If you click on your profile in the upper right, then My Attachments, you can see all your attachments. Your capacity should be shown there. I am guessing if you actually hit the limit then you'll get an error message. 

As a comparison, I post more images than the average bear, and also post memes from time to time. I have also been on here not paying any attention to this limit for 18 years. I have 240 attachments and my capacity is at 130 MB. Still a ways to go. So it is pretty generous on a per member basis. 

So have this on your radar. If you post a lot of memes or photos, you may run up against this limit. If you suddenly cannot make attachments, this is probably why. Consider first reducing the file size of images before posting. Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions.

:cannon:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yikes...

Screenshot_20241023_220042_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have learned that Contributor Group 3 has an expanded 300 MB limit! 

@stranger That’s how you’re above 200 MB. :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I have learned that Contributor Group 3 has an expanded 300 MB limit! 

@stranger That’s how you’re above 200 MB. :) 

Yea, i figured. Now I gotta delete some pictures lol

2 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

How do you delete attachments?

You can’t because it would leave a hole in the context of where it was originally posted. Like people might have replied or commented on a picture that won’t be there any more. I did confirm this was the case. The picture that exists in the wild is inextricably tied to it being your attachment. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

You can’t because it would leave a hole in the context of where it was originally posted. Like people might have replied or commented on a picture that won’t be there any more. I did confirm this was the case. The picture that exists in the wild is inextricably tied to it being your attachment. 

I had a feeling...

With only 12 attachments, I've used 8%... it must go fast..

I'll just be mindful. Thanks👍

Edited by Luke Blackwell

Dang, already at 90%. Guess I'd better make sure my photos are actually worth sharing from now on lol.

41 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

I had a feeling...

With only 12 attachments, I've used 8%... it must go fast..

I'll just be mindful. Thanks👍

The problem is if you don't resize pictures (in 2024, 200MB is about 40 smartphone pictures, if you don't resize it) . Sometimes I'm also too lazy to do it, and I'm 64% full of 300MB. But for reference, I have 489 attachments. So if you resize the images, it's actually quite a lot.

Btw if you upload the image somewhere else (like imgur), and just paste the link to the post (like https://i.imgur.com/blabla.jpeg) it will automatically embed the picture and will not affect your quota. For unimportant stuff like showing my bends, I will just do this from now on

Edited by matek
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, matek said:

Btw if you upload the image somewhere else (like imgur), and just paste the link to the post (like https://i.imgur.com/blabla.jpeg) it will automatically embed the picture and will not affect your quota. For unimportant stuff like showing my bends, I will just do this from now on

Thank you for this tip :)

• Like 1