1-Rep Muscle Journal

Luke Whippo

Let’s try something here guys.

I am now age 46, been lifting for 25 years now. Competed in Strongman from 2003 to 2008 in the under 200# class. I weighed about 180 back then.

I really went off track 10years ago, gained a fat belly, now I’m right where I want to be to start gaining real good size. I’m about 195#.

Mistakes I made in the past regarding 1-rep training is I was a complete minimalist and not doing light work messed me up. Doing conventional dead lift and squats, OUCH, odd lifts and other lifts are needed for balance. And not warming up properly.

To me there is nothing like pushing a 1-rep for feeling satasfied in regards to muscle building and fat loss. Yes I love high reps but you can’t duplicate a good 1-rep. So that is going to be the goal in most workouts. 

Oh yeah Boogz is huge influence!!!!!

LETs GO!!!!!!

Sunday 10-20-24

Heavy Gobblet squat using hammer bar, bottoms up-

175 x1 (10# PR)

Monday 10-21-24

Floor press bottom up-

120 x20

142 x20

152 x36 (PR)

209 x12 (PR)

Tuesday 10-22-24

lunch - squats 92# x80reps 1-set

later-

1-arm Barbell Press-

with 50# book bag-

77 x1 (PR with book bag)

No book bag - 82 x1 ea. arm (PR) 

VID-

Edited by Luke Whippo
  • Like 2

Way cool lifts

nice workout to

Edited by John Knowlton

Wednesday 10/23/24

AM 

standing tricep extension with 50# plate and loading pin-

up to 73# x39 (goal is 40reps).

I did 72.25 x40 last week, after a heavier set.

i always warmup well.

I have limited equipment and no bench so I make do with what I have in unique ways. This might be a great way to go really?

I scrapped floor skull crushers because the barbell gave me horrible tendinitis. I bought a cheap EZ bar and that didn’t help. So now I just do standing extensions with a plate and pin. Seems to work , great pump!

More to come for PM workout!

• Like 1

Wed. PM

YES!!!!

The never before seen lift - Standing Incline-

131 x11 PR

153 x3 PR of 1# and 3reps

I was failing these for 1-rep with 151 and 152 weeks ago, plus I used a slightly wider grip for more shoulder size.

Must of been my background TUNES-

Thursday 10/24/24

No AM training, I couldn't really sneak one in, plus I had some tougher squats in mind- 

PM-

Squats (no rack clean and press on/off shoulders) 121# x80 reps (1-set)-

These were the best squats I've done with this weight for 80reps. I've done over 115reps with 115 years ago, but they were dragging and it smoked me. Today I blasted 4-sets of 20 (sets meaning resting with bar on shoulders).

I've found variety is key to sticking with these, If I add more weight soon I will only do like 70reps, or I will take some weight off for a set of 90-100. It's all about sticking with it because the oxygen IMO builds me.

Since this is a grip forum, I may not have much stuff, but I got a nice solid steel 3" thickbar and I posted a vid of my warmup set to near failure before my 1-rep EZ curl rep-

3"bar 75# (empty) x12

3"bar 85# x14 (Vid)

EZ bar 117.25# x1

EZ bar 127.25# x1

Everything was an increase from last time which is the goal, but it might not always happen-

Supper nice 

way cool bar

Friday 10-25-24

no time in AM (of anything can be done quickly).

PM

BORs 

limited time, and I much prefer to hit the floor running, push yourself to the max and call it as opposed many sets. I mean that in a non boring way.

With BORs I been using a 100# with loading pin. It’s so different but the problem is you are limited with grip width, so I started adding snatch grip berbell row. 

Plate BORs warmed up to 200

snatch grip up to 260 x1 PR

drop down to plate BORs for reps-

150 x25 (3-rep PR)