Counterfeit grippers are circulating!

Cannon

15 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

what I meant by that is basically weren’t sold on any other sites- just his own-  like how you were able to get CoCs from other sites, HeavyGrips, Barabans, Tettings- FBBCs were just from his site and really not many folks knew about FBBC compared to the other gripper guys-  well unless you’re from this place but we’re not regular folk haha

Yeah, that's true.  We are definitely not "regular"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With grippers becoming collectibles, the idea of counterfeit grippers is definitely a reality.

Also, considering the Tettings are high collectibles right now, it’s ironic that they’re design - due to simplicity- make them probably one of the easiest to attempt to counterfeit.

I wonder if we’re going to have to go down the road of authentication paperwork when trading and selling our grippers?

And with some fellas spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on gripper collections, do these “fitness springs with handles” need extra homeowners insurance to cover them in a loss?

I used to think of my grippers as my sort of baseball card collection only they were practical training tools.  

now I am going to start thinking of some of these grippers as jewelry.

(I even put one Tetting gripper in my safe at home.)

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

With grippers becoming collectibles, the idea of counterfeit grippers is definitely a reality.

Also, considering the Tettings are high collectibles right now, it’s ironic that they’re design - due to simplicity- make them probably one of the easiest to attempt to counterfeit.

I wonder if we’re going to have to go down the road of authentication paperwork when trading and selling our grippers?

And with some fellas spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on gripper collections, do these “fitness springs with handles” need extra homeowners insurance to cover them in a loss?

I used to think of my grippers as my sort of baseball card collection only they were practical training tools.  

now I am going to start thinking of some of these grippers as jewelry.

(I even put one Tetting gripper in my safe at home.)

I ever get married I might get a prenup to play it safe🤣

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I ever get married I might get a prenup to play it safe🤣

Just don't tell her they're valuable🤫

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

that's even more dangerous!

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

2 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

that's even more dangerous!

I usually wait until the 3rd date to show off my off my grip collection but they always find out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I usually wait until the 3rd date to show off my off my grip collection but they always find out 

nobody I know completely understands my grip training. They know I do "workout stuff" , but I don't dare try to explain it to them, lol.

• Like 4

Nobody will ever truly know how many grippers I have until I’m dead and gone. Just like Luke said “I do workout stuff “ and I build crazy grip stuff that no one understands but us.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This was me bringing my 29 rgc filed coc guide to a 1st date then acting amazed they could close it: 

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

This was me bringing my 29 rgc filed coc guide to a 1st date then acting amazed they could close it: 

...with a deep, deep set, freshly warmed up, chalked up, nose torked, music blasting, and having previously deloaded a full week. 

• Like 1

@Cannon (and maybe @liftyzig), how do we know if a Tetting is original? What are the signs of counterfeits?

Sometimes, they come up at local auctions and although I'm not a collector, it would be cool to have one Tetting someday. But this thread makes me nervous 😅

Or maybe it's better if we don't even discuss it on the board, just private message you with photos?

1 hour ago, matek said:

how do we know if a Tetting is original?  What are the signs of counterfeits?

1) No details about the provenance. "I got this from so-and-so who got it from Warren. Feel free to check with so-and-so."
2) The spring won't be right. It might lose a lot of spread after a single close. It might have a coating or could be another type of spring that was darkened to look oil-tempered. It could just be way too wide or narrow in general.
3) The stamp might not be right. Warren had physical stamps that looked a certain way. Even the THOR logos were stamps, not engraving. For the few I have seen, the stamps were a give-away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1