Heavy Grips Grippers redesigned

Tim Bledsoe

First 20th Anniversary Heavy Grips grippers with redesigned handle in the world.  

Hello, I recently purchased a couple of fake HG grippers from amazon. I messaged Heavy Grips directly to report what was going on, they informed me that there are a lot of people making counterfeit HG grippers currently. I was also informed that every legit HG gripper has both a coated spring and handle, so if you have one missing its fake. Anyway, Tara Hammond with Heavy Grips super awesome to work with and ended up sending me two of their redesigned grippers that they are making to try to stay ahead of the counter fits. Tara informed me that I was the first customer in the world to receive these redesigns so here they are. The new laser etching looks great and i swear they have made the knurling much more aggressive as you can see compared to an older HG in the pics. 

image.thumb.jpeg.055a6509bfd651ebb3d95a9ab30030da.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cecc8ad6da17d30ea25bf69417d5db82.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9741ea28022a87e9fda8360c0a04ad5d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6d10387e4cf5f8b6597b591f73ee688e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.efd043719a1726c9ac829f764984397e.jpegATT00002.htmATT00002.htm

• Like 11

Good to see that they're addressing the knurling. My first set of proper grippers (rather than just the plastic handled ones) was from HG, but the knurling was practically non-existent. Definitely looks improved in the latest revision you posted. 

The flattening on the inside surfaces looks nice, but doesn't this mean that each gripper is now effectively filed? Looks to be about 1mm on each handle, but could be more. Assuming they're using the same springs as before I'd imagine these will rate higher on that basis. 

Did they give any indication of when the new ones will be available? 

• Like 1

Looks nice, that amount of filing will probably add barely a pound or two. I wonder if there will be a price change. I'd like to see some really heavy 350's, and it would be nice to see a 400 with 19 mm handles at some point.

• Like 3

Heavy grips are underrated. 

I’ll probably buy a few of the new ones eventually! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tim Bledsoe said:

and i swear they have made the knurling much more aggressive as you can see compared to an older HG in the pics.

Their knurling has actually been MUCH better recently even on the old design. I would go as far as calling it good knurling. 

• Like 2

Looks like a nice improvement, I have a few of their old ones and the knurling is so bad you would believe it was just drawn on with a pencil totally useless

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Looks nice, that amount of filing will probably add barely a pound or two. I wonder if there will be a price change. I'd like to see some really heavy 350's, and it would be nice to see a 400 with 19 mm handles at some point.

I do not believe it would add anything the way they have it. All the same, I’m surprised they did a design where people could get in their head about “does this line up”. If assembly is like with the cut out, I know positioning of those varied. They were rarely square to each other. I am glad they moved away from the cut out though. This is more elegant  

The last HG350 I rated was 194. Old style of course. 

• Like 3

The mounting height is different and looks lower on the spring meaning more leverage and therefore a less force required at the end of the handle (assuming the springs are the same). Will be interesting to see whether they do actually rate lighter in the end

6 hours ago, Tim Bledsoe said:

Anyway, Tara Hammond with Heavy Grips super awesome to work with and ended up sending me two of their redesigned grippers that they are making to try to stay ahead of the counter fits.

Tara is great. I have been preaching this for over a decade, but Heavy Grips is one of the longest-standing members of the grip community. Their service is great. Their grippers have a LIFETIME WARRANTY. And I believe any bad reputation can actually be attributed to counterfeits, not their product. As above, it’s a problem they have also battled for 20 years, same as the community. 

I love me some Heavy Grips. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Slipshod said:

The mounting height is different and looks lower on the spring meaning more leverage and therefore a less force required at the end of the handle (assuming the springs are the same).

This has always varied quite a lot. I agree that it will be interesting to see where they land, but I would not take this example as evidence of a “different” mounting depth. Yet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This has always varied quite a lot. I agree that it will be interesting to see where they land, but I would not take this example as evidence of a “different” mounting depth. Yet. 

Actually looking at the image posted comparing the knurling, I had assumed the springs were lined up, but they are presented with left handle top touching right spring. So probably the same.

Hopefully the consistency in general improves now since they are obviously attempting to improve the quality

Sorry folks I made two good videos to go with this post but could not for the life of me get them to load from my iPhone to the post or even get them to convert to another format and load. If you guys have any experience on this please let me know and I’ll through the videos in for a way better example. 

I absolutely love the new fully flat name plates, and I’d bet the farm that these will spark a lot of good debate in the grip world centered around “over crush” and “harder” because of the flat contact points on the handles. All and all great grippers, great improvements, and great service staff!!!

2 hours ago, Tim Bledsoe said:

Sorry folks I made two good videos to go with this post but could not for the life of me get them to load from my iPhone to the post or even get them to convert to another format and load. If you guys have any experience on this please let me know and I’ll through the videos in for a way better example. 

Upload to youtube or instagram and share the link here. You can only attach pictures as attachments direclty in a post