BLOB50

GordonV

It's been a long time since I've been active on the GB but it is awesome to see it going strong! 

The Foundry that cast the Blob50 has closed. I stopped by last week to get my pattern and I thought maybe you guys would appreciate a picture. 

GordonV

20241001_093247.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

That’s awesome!

What’s the other side look like?

1 hour ago, sid_arnes said:

Thats nice work. Did you start from scratch or use a blob model?

I borrowed an actual York from another GB-member and the foundry used it as a model for the pattern. At the time (Summer 2004), it wasn't clear if it would be accepted as an equivalent feat (York100=BLOB50) but after a bunch of guys tested (Wanna, Jedd, Ostlund, Peterson, and others) it was given the thumbs up. I was doing it as a fun personal project, (I didn't want a side hustle or anything), and it all worked out. I was personally frustrated at the difficulty in finding an actual York and the prices were insane. In the end, the community had access to a reasonably priced Blob and I learned a ton/had fun.

GordonV  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, GordonV said:

I was personally frustrated at the difficulty in finding an actual York and the prices were insane. In the end, the community had access to a reasonably priced Blob and I learned a ton/had fun.

I know we have broached this a couple of times and it didn't catch legs for whatever reasons, but we should use the mold and make more! :) We are both in Minneapolis! 

• Like 9

Just now, Cannon said:

That’s awesome!

What’s the other side look like?

Hi Matt, hope you are well!

The other pattern has a large pouring riser and the bottoms. 

41 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I know we have broached this a couple of times and it didn't catch legs for whatever reasons, but we should use the mold and make more! :) We are both in Minneapolis! 

That would be great! 

1 hour ago, GordonV said:

I borrowed an actual York from another GB-member and the foundry used it as a model for the pattern. At the time (Summer 2004), it wasn't clear if it would be accepted as an equivalent feat (York100=BLOB50) but after a bunch of guys tested (Wanna, Jedd, Ostlund, Peterson, and others) it was given the thumbs up. I was doing it as a fun personal project, (I didn't want a side hustle or anything), and it all worked out. I was personally frustrated at the difficulty in finding an actual York and the prices were insane. In the end, the community had access to a reasonably priced Blob and I learned a ton/had fun.

GordonV  

How many did you make and for how long were you making them? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cannon said:

We can probably figure something out Matt. Let's set up some time to chat.

• Like 5

dang, well i guess ignore my pm then 🫣

• Haha 2

SUPPER COOL

On 10/1/2024 at 1:09 PM, GordonV said:

GordonV  

Gordon just got back on 2 weeks. Great to hear you are around. 

• Like 1

This is cool.  I was going to pour my own but have a limited casting weight on my home setup right now and will need to double it to pour a solid blob 50.  It would be cool if folks with apple devices could scan their blobs into a file serve so that we can generate a blob50 model normalized across a larger set of samples.  This could then be 3d printed and finished to generate a mold that takes into account an average across many blob50s.  Once printed casting molds can easily be built and taken to foundries for production quotes.  You could then create a more competition promoter and athlete friendly device to standardize on ensuring access to equipment is not hindered by rarity and cost.

This would work well as a community project for the growth of the sport, as well as a for profit with incentives aligning to folks who submit their lidar scans of personal blobs to contribute to a normalized model. Either way I would buy one :)

Edited by marko
  • Like 6

On 10/1/2024 at 7:43 PM, GordonV said:

It's been a long time since I've been active on the GB but it is awesome to see it going strong! 

The Foundry that cast the Blob50 has closed. I stopped by last week to get my pattern and I thought maybe you guys would appreciate a picture. 

GordonV

20241001_093247.jpg

On 10/1/2024 at 10:09 PM, GordonV said:

GordonV  

That's cool to see. I don't know if you remember me Gordon, but I bought one from you long ago. You shipped it to Dubai. Mine never came (was  lost or something) and I told you that. You sent me another one and I am grateful till today. If you're wondering did I ever lift it, then yes, I did. I also cleaned it with two fingers.

On 10/1/2024 at 10:41 PM, Cannon said:

That's a good idea! A fatman replica too would be great. Or heck, the PDA blobette or blobexxe. Both are super cool.

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

That's cool to see. I don't know if you remember me Gordon, but I bought one from you long ago. You shipped it to Dubai. Mine never came (was  lost or something) and I told you that. You sent me another one and I am grateful till today. If you're wondering did I ever lift it, then yes, I did. I also cleaned it with two fingers.

That's a good idea! A fatman replica too would be great. Or heck, the PDA blobette or blobexxe. Both are super cool.

I 100% remember Bader, awesome to see your name pop up again! So happy to read that you 2-finger cleaned it, that's fantastic! For Blob50's outside the US, I remember shipping 3 to Australia, 3-4 to Germany, a couple to the UK, 1 to Italy and 1 to you in UAE. Your's is the only one that got lost in the mail (US or international). I remember the postal forms were a headache but you were patient and it all worked out!

• Like 1