One arm dumbbell deadlift

Nick K.

I saw some challenges on youtube that people attempted 100kg dumbbell and very few have managed to lift it from ground for even a bit. Have people here tried it and if yes what was your max? I can lift for a bit the 100kg dumbbell and i close around coc 3 level gripper.

On 9/23/2024 at 12:45 PM, Nick K. said:

I saw some challenges on youtube that people attempted 100kg dumbbell and very few have managed to lift it from ground for even a bit. Have people here tried it and if yes what was your max? I can lift for a bit the 100kg dumbbell and i close around coc 3 level gripper.

I do sets of rows with 100kg, and I can close a #4.  Are you talking about a thick handle or just a regular dumbbell?

• Like 1

It's a regular handled dumbell, but most people don't lift weights anywhere near heavy enough to have the strength for it. There is another popular one which is the 300lber golden dumbells at the Golds Gym. 

Most people dont lift weights, and of the ones that do, not many are focusing on grip

• Like 1

I think I did 115 kg with both left and right, wasn't able to put on anymore weights at the time. I have a better handle now but it's thicker so it changes the difficulty quite a lot.

I did 125 kg with a one hand rolling handle (for cable machines), that's a bit easier since it's a higher lift when using a loading-pin. I think I could do more now however. It's at least five years since I tried these.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

Here in my gym we have a 125 pound dumbbell and a 175 pound dumbbell both with 2 1/4 inch handles.

both these are only used for one arm, deadlifts.

IMG_1596.png

IMG_1595.png

image.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Here in my gym we have a 125 pound dumbbell and a 175 pound dumbbell both with 2 1/4 inch handles.

both these are only used for one arm, deadlifts.

John...I've said this about everything in your gym...but those look AWESOME!  So super cool!

• Like 1

I’ve never had the opportunity to see a bigger regular handled dumbbell than 200lbs. I did lift that up to standing though. I wouldn’t consider it a great feat though. 

• Like 1

I did something like 234 or 238lbs, don't recall exactly but moderately difficult. I can't even close a coc 2.5

• Like 2

On 9/25/2024 at 4:52 PM, dubyagrip said:

I do sets of rows with 100kg, and I can close a #4.  Are you talking about a thick handle or just a regular dumbbell?

Yes i forgot to tell that i  talk about regular dumbbell handle.. 

Edited by Nick K.

With a regular handle, I'd assume I can either barely do that or barely not do it. I am curious now but my gym has nothing close to that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kurtwpg said:

With a regular handle, I'd assume I can either barely do that or barely not do it. I am curious now but my gym has nothing close to that. 

You talking about 100kg dumbbell? Same my gym goes until 50kg so i bought a metal pipe and put the weight plates on it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nick K. said:

You talking about 100kg dumbbell? Same my gym goes until 50kg so i bought a metal pipe and put the weight plates on it. 

Yeah. I think mine might have a loadable barbell as short as 5 feet, but that's still pretty unbalanced.

• Like 1

I’ve been able to one hand deadlift 315lbs (barbell) on multiple occasions just messing around. I’d guess I can get anywhere from 350-405. But on a barbell it’s harder than a dumbell 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that was a wakeup call 

It occurred to me that loading up a Smith Machine would solve the stability problem of doing it with a barbell. Dumbbell probably still a tiny bit easier.

Left (strong): Didn't break ground on 185

Right: Barely locked out 155

Left: 165 about 3 inches off ground.

• Like 1