Luke's Training Log

Luke Blackwell

I've been training grippers over a year now and I've grown to love them(and hate them at times lol). I'm very happy to say that I'm now on the road to the #3. And at only 5'9" 140 lbs, I know I've got my work all cut out for me. I'm excited to share my journey with you guys. 

In addition to grippers, I also do overall strength training. I might occasionally share my progress in that area as well. 

I'm currently taking a week off grippers to deload for the new program. Im going to focus on 2 sessions a week, A and B:

A. Higher volume. Attention to technique and wider sets (ccs)

B. Higher intensity, focused on deeper set (mms). Will incorporate some negs, holds, and BTR with heavier grippers. 

Im looking forward to interacting with you all. Best of luck to everyone's training.

-Luke

• Like 6

I'll go ahead and list all of the grippers I own at the moment. I have 7, All are Ironmind...

Trainer

#1.5

#2.5

#2.5... Filed, also stouter than other

#3*... 145 rated (Current goal Gripper)

I intend to purchase more rated grippers from CPW. But at the moment,  I train with these ones. I just recently made my first purchase from Cannon (#3* and setting block), and I was very pleased with their services. 

My next gripper session is Saturday, so I'll write then. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

-Luke

Edited by Luke Blackwell
  • Like 3

It would be a good idea to get the ones you already have rated, you could exclude the warmup grippers to save money. A Standard Platinum would likely be a nice addition, or some other lighter filed like filed CoC 2, etc. A Standard Iron will also be a bit easier than the CoC 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

It would be a good idea to get the ones you already have rated

I did consider that. I for sure want a filed and rated #2. And yes, something a little easier than my 3 would be nice. I know the 130 range is tough to come by.

• Like 2

On a good day, I can close my filed 2.5 ever so slightly Into the filed portion. That's an improvement because for a while, I struggled to even get it to the normal closed position. I usually assist it the rest of the way down and then either do a negative, or let it pop open.

On the subject of negatives, I'm really limiting how many I do. I think my training has taken too much inspiration from Joe kinney and his teachings. While I believe negatives have their place, I don't want to overuse them and risk injury. 

Edited by Luke Blackwell
  • Like 5

Today was pullup day. I'm currently working towards 1-arm pullups again. I trained for them a while back to the point where I could do 1 very clean rep. It's been a while though, so I'm trying to gain that strength back.

The way I train for them is with a modified pullup. I do it by putting more emphasis on 1 side to increase the weight on that arm. Also, as I get stronger, I add in 1 arm pullup negatives, but I'm not quite there yet.

Today's workout looked like this...

1 × 8 modified pullups(4 reps on each arm)

Followed by...

1 × 6

1 × 4

...Then finished session with normal chinups. Very slow, concentrated reps...

1 × 6 chinups

1 × 5 chinups

• Like 5

1 arm pushups today...

1 × 12 right

1 × 12 left 

1 × 7 right

1 × 7 left

1 × 5 right

1 × 5 left

...finished with normal pushups...

1 × 20

1 × 12

• Like 3

Today is normally a gripper session. But since I'm deloading, I thought I'd log my current progress with my #3. I expect to see that gap much smaller over the months ahead...

Screenshot_20240911_050811_Video Player.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

That's a great effort!

Thank you sir

1 × 20 chinups... went amrap, just to see where I'm at....

1 × 7

1 × 5

Followed by pullups...

1 × 6

1 × 5

...Then some good stretches

Edited by Luke Blackwell
  • Like 1

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. 

I'm finally back at the grippers today. Felt super fresh after my week off. Here we go...

(Right hand)

-Warmup-

Then......

1 × 4    #2.5 mms reps

1 × 2    #2.5 mms reps...plus overcrush/hold 👇

1 x 2   #2.5 mms reps

1 x 3   #2 ccs reps. Missed 4th one.

1 × 3   #2 block reps (30mm)...Then flipped block to 20mm and did 1 more rep/hold.

Pump set with Trainer.... 1 × 34 reps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Left hand)

Warmup...

Then......

1 × 3  #2 mms reps

1 × 2  #2 mms reps

1 × 1  #2 mms reps(missed 2nd rep)

1 × 7  #1.5 mms reps  

1 × 5  #1.5 mms reps

...Pump set with Trainer....  1 × 26 reps

.....Overall, a great session. A month ago I could only hit 1 rep with that #2.5, so I am improving.

I intend to follow my program for 2 months, then see where I'm at with my #3. 

Edited by Luke Blackwell
  • Like 4

......a little more training footage from today

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Luke Blackwell said:

......a little more training footage from today

Great work!

I've noticed your hand is very high on the gripper, making closes much harder. Try getting as low as possible while keeping about half of your pinky on the handle. Leverage will be much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Great work!

I've noticed your hand is very high on the gripper, making closes much harder. Try getting as low as possible while keeping about half of your pinky on the handle. Leverage will be much better.

Yes, that's something I try to work on. Sometimes if I go that low, my pinkie tries to slip off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

Yes, that's something I try to work on. Sometimes if I go that low, my pinkie tries to slip off.

I see. Looking at the video, you could use more chalk on your fingers, including your pinky, that might help

Just now, matek said:

I see. Looking at the video, you could use more chalk on your fingers, including your pinky, that might help

I don't chalk the fingers, only the palm. I've heard before that it helps the fingers "slide" on the front handle. What's your thoughts on that?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

I don't chalk the fingers, only the palm. I've heard before that it helps the fingers "slide" on the front handle. What's your thoughts on that?

I definitely know it wouldn't work for me. My pinky would come off all the time.

Just try chalking everything (including the sides of your setting index finger) for a session or two. If it's worse for some reason, you can always go back

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, matek said:

I definitely know it wouldn't work for me. My pinky would come off all the time.

Just try chalking everything (including the sides of your setting index finger) for a session or two. If it's worse for some reason, you can always go back

Sure, I'll do that👍... might just work better.

Thanks for your input by the way. I appreciate that.

• Like 2

Gripper session...

(Right hand)

-warmup-

2 × 1  Filed #2.5 singles...max pull then negative until hand opens to parallel..

(Switched to unfiled #2.5)....

1 x 1  #2.5 mms

2 x 1  #2.5 assisted reps

1 × 3  #2 overcrush reps

1 x 1   #2 Hold (18 sec.)

.........trainer pump set

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Left hand)

-warmup-

1 x 3  #2 mms...last rep assisted

1 x 3  #2 mms...last 2 reps assisted

1 x 6  #1.5 mms

1 x 1   #1.5 hold (12 sec)

........Trainer pump set

Screenshot_20241002_051553_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20241002_052847_Video Player.jpg

• Like 4

nice grip work

• Like 2

Great work 

• Like 1

I skipped Friday' session last week, so I thought I'd log this one real quick...

Wide grip pushups:

1 × 40

1 x 15

1 x 8

Close grip pushups:

1 x 12

1 x 8

....Nows eggs and toast for breakfast

• Like 3

🍳 good breakfast

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1