Measuring degrees with protractor

Jlark27

Now that I am getting back into bending and specifically focusing on reverse style, I realized that I have no clue how to measure the degrees of a bend using a protractor. 

here is an image of a 5” grade 5 bolt that I bent last week. Am I placing it correctly? Did I hit the 40degrees? Depending on where it sits, the degrees seem to vary quite a bit. 

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. 

image.jpg

Based on what I see, you probably didn't hit 40 deg. It would be best to get a different protractor with lines going from outside to center point to help you or just add the lines yourself. Here's a markup of yours, you should line up the straight parts of the outside edge of your bar to the lines. If you drew a line from 35 degrees to the center point and moved  your bar above the horizontal center point line it would probably match that angle.image.jpg.9066e02b277e58b8436116711b28607d3.thumb.jpg.d5f5b247bcdd6c9bddac8049d5126d8c.jpg

Something like this one.

Screenshot_20240830-233839.png

Edited by Gripineer

53 minutes ago, Gripineer said:

Based on what I see, you probably didn't hit 40 deg. It would be best to get a different protractor with lines going from outside to center point to help you or just add the lines yourself. Here's a markup of yours, you should line up the straight parts of the outside edge of your bar to the lines. If you drew a line from 35 degrees to the center point and moved  your bar above the horizontal center point line it would probably match that angle.image.jpg.9066e02b277e58b8436116711b28607d3.thumb.jpg.d5f5b247bcdd6c9bddac8049d5126d8c.jpg

Something like this one.

Screenshot_20240830-233839.png

Okay, this is starting to make more sense now. Outside edge to straight line. Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 2