The Gold Standard Challenge

Ben Helms

1 minute ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Just how difficult is it to get a hold of a Next Gen half 100 or baby Inch? (Like to actually procure 😂)

Nathan Holle makes a 60kg or 64kg inch so that wouldn’t be too hard to get. Just the shipping cost. A next gen will be tough. I think there is one on ebay right now but its wayyyy over priced 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

A next gen will be tough. I think there is one on ebay right now but its wayyyy over priced 

That's what I figured. That's a huge part of why I've never bothered with blobs. Difficult to buy, and I don't live near folks that would have one to try out/borrow. Maybe one day!

I can at least keep working towards the plate pinching goal. The gripper is no problem, and I would guess I could do the 35 hub, if not now then in short order. No idea on the bending though; never tried it. 

The Gold Standard will essentially serve as my ultimate grip goal. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

That's what I figured. That's a huge part of why I've never bothered with blobs. Difficult to buy, and I don't live near folks that would have one to try out/borrow. Maybe one day!

I can at least keep working towards the plate pinching goal. The gripper is no problem, and I would guess I could do the 35 hub, if not now then in short order. No idea on the bending though; never tried it. 

The Gold Standard will essentially serve as my ultimate grip goal. 

Thats great man! Having people train for well roundedness in grip was the goal. The challenge is a great way to help people improve 👍🏻 The red nail will seem impossible for a little bit but eventually youll find a comfortable position and just smash it. Ive only been doing bending for a few months and have only had like 10 training days ever for bending 🤣

• Like 2

@Ben Helms Could other blobs meet the Fatman criteria? I have a Holle 24kg on order. It was easy to order and seemed reasonably priced.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

@Ben Helms Could other blobs meet the Fatman criteria? I have a Holle 24kg on order. It was easy to order and seemed reasonably priced.

Unfortunately no. That blob is a totally different shape and feel. The fatman is a classic and has its own unique role in grip history. I only used the next gen for the silver standard because its the bridge blob to the fatman. Now if you want to use a holle 78kg inch dumbbell thats fine. Any brand inch dumbbell thats in the 78kg weight will do. My inch bell was an Adamski. 

• Like 3

What's the best place to be on the lookout for blobs? I imagine if I ever expect to do this, I'll need not only the goal blobs but ones leading up in weight. Is it just a matter of watching eBay? 🙄

Ebay, Facebook marketplace, and on here as well! I always typed in “York 100 blob” in the search bar on ebay. 

20 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

What's the best place to be on the lookout for blobs? I imagine if I ever expect to do this, I'll need not only the goal blobs but ones leading up in weight. Is it just a matter of watching eBay? 🙄

Ebay, Facebook marketplace, and on here as well! I always typed in “York 100 blob” in the search bar on ebay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

The two York 100 blobs listed for over $400 on eBay have a USA stamp. I think that stamp is on the next gen and not on the Fatman.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, WorksinaPinch said:

The two York 100 blobs listed for over $400 on eBay have a USA stamp. I think that stamp is on the next gen and not on the Fatman.

Correct. Usa stamp is next gen

• Like 1

First things first had to grab some of these (only had kg steel plates):

IMG_6097.thumb.jpeg.d400cd52d1dff7155292c8118e71b807.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ben Helms said:

Unfortunately no. That blob is a totally different shape and feel. The fatman is a classic and has its own unique role in grip history. I only used the next gen for the silver standard because its the bridge blob to the fatman. Now if you want to use a holle 78kg inch dumbbell thats fine. Any brand inch dumbbell thats in the 78kg weight will do. My inch bell was an Adamski. 

Hi Ben,

I would tend to agree with your point about the blob. The Fatman is indeed distinct, though it's worth noting that the Holle 24kg blob is designed as a replica of the Fatman, much like how most Inch dumbbells are modeled after the original 172-pound Inch Dumbbell. That said, one key difference is the paint; the original Fatman has a tougher paint to grip compared to the Holle.

However, I would advise against accepting any 78kg Inch Dumbbell without careful consideration, as not all are true replicas. Some so-called 'Inch dumbbells' feature 5 inch handles and less rounded shapes (almost octagonal shape), which can make them easier to lift.

Best regards,
Bader

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Hi Ben,

I would tend to agree with your point about the blob. The Fatman is indeed distinct, though it's worth noting that the Holle 24kg blob is designed as a replica of the Fatman, much like how most Inch dumbbells are modeled after the original 172-pound Inch Dumbbell. That said, one key difference is the paint; the original Fatman has a tougher paint to grip compared to the Holle.

However, I would advise against accepting any 78kg Inch Dumbbell without careful consideration, as not all are true replicas. Some so-called 'Inch dumbbells' feature 5 inch handles and less rounded shapes (almost octagonal shape), which can make them easier to lift.

Best regards,
Bader

The Red Pill was also considered a fatman replica but its about 56lb and very wide. The Holle 24kg is significantly wider than a fatman with gradual slopes and sharp edges. While being a great block weight for training, its nothing close to a fatman. Also, 78kg “inch dumbbells” with 5” handles or oval shaped handles aren’t inch dumbbell. They are thick handled dumbbells. For example, the strength shop dumbbell. Long handle and oval shaped. Not an inch dumbbell. Just a circus dumbbell. Lifting the classics in The Gold Standard Challenge means lifting the classics. Not a form of the classics. Nothing needs to be specific. CCS a 3 (use any card, doesnt have to be an ironmind card. Could be a drivers license. Same thing. Lift an inch dumbbell (any 4” round handle 78kg there are tons of brands out there) Lift a fatman (nothing else, just a fatman. Its unique its own) Pinch 45’s (any 45’s. The og 45’s like the york deep dish are so rare and expensive. Barely anyone can get there hands on them) 45lb hub (any hub works, some are more expensive than others but the cheaper ones seem to be more challenging. A regular Olympic 45lb plate has a shallower hub and slick clear coat, yet more available than an easier hub like a marcy hub. They are deep and can be textured easily but cost a fortune) Bend a red nail (any bending style of your choosing and single or double wrap is also a preference. Just bending the nail is the gold standard as long as its not braced of course) All that being said, its a challenge that was made to be fun and honor the classics and what they have done to shape the grip world today. I see no reason in changing anything that I've come up with for this challenge. 👍🏻 

Edited by Ben Helms
Clarification
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

The Red Pill was also considered a fatman replica but its about 56lb and very wide. The Holle 24kg is significantly wider than a fatman with gradual slopes and sharp edges. While being a great block weight for training, its nothing close to a fatman. Also, 78kg “inch dumbbells” with 5” handles or oval shaped handles aren’t inch dumbbell. They are thick handled dumbbells. For example, the strength shop dumbbell. Long handle and oval shaped. Not an inch dumbbell. Just a circus dumbbell. Lifting the classics in The Gold Standard Challenge means lifting the classics. Not a form of the classics. Nothing needs to be specific. CCS a 3 (use any card, doesnt have to be an ironmind card. Could be a drivers license. Same thing. Lift an inch dumbbell (any 4” round handle 78kg there are tons of brands out there) Lift a fatman (nothing else, just a fatman. Its unique its own) Pinch 45’s (any 45’s. The og 45’s like the york deep dish are so rare and expensive. Barely anyone can get there hands on them) 45lb hub (any hub works, some are more expensive than others but the cheaper ones seem to be more challenging. A regular Olympic 45lb plate has a shallower hub and slick clear coat, yet more available than an easier hub like a marcy hub. They are deep and can be textured easily but cost a fortune) All that being said, its a challenge that was made to be fun and honor the classics and what they have done to shape the grip world today. I see no reason in changing anything that I've come up with for this challenge. 👍🏻 

Thanks Ben for your detailed response. I see that we’re on the same page regarding the blob. As you noted, the Holle 24kg blob, while a notable block weight, does not quite match the Fatman in terms of shape, paint and feel.

Regarding the 5-inch "Inch dumbbells," I appreciate your clarification. I just wanted to ensure that any lists or references are precise, and your explanation has made it clear. The distinctions you’ve outlined are helpful and accurate to understand.

Thank you for the insights and for maintaining the integrity of the challenge. Let the list grow!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My inch dumbbell is on loan to a friend, so I used my 200lbs Myers bell with a 2.5” handle. I know it’s not the original challenge but I worked with what I had.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

My inch dumbbell is on loan to a friend, so I used my 200lbs Myers bell with a 2.5” handle. I know it’s not the original challenge but I worked with what I had.

Fantastic Tanner! Thank you for the submission! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ben Helms said:

Fantastic Tanner! Thank you for the submission! 

Thanks man, I love the idea! I know it’s not the official challenge because I didn’t use the inch dumbbell, but hopefully this gets the ball rolling. I know there are more guys that can do it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Embarrassingly the red nail was the hardest part 😆. I’m really out of practice on those. Mobility isn’t what it used to be 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Boulderbrew said:

Embarrassingly the red nail was the hardest part 😆. I’m really out of practice on those. Mobility isn’t what it used to be 

You did single suedes right? If so, thats no joke man! 

The Gold Standard Challenge List:

1) Ben Helms

2) Tanner Merkle

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

You did single suedes right? If so, thats no joke man! 

Yes single suedes 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Yes single suedes 

That’s intense man! 

10 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

You look massive, Tanner! Well done

• Like 1

@Boulderbrew Tanner, have you been training grip much these days, or is this more of a “just off the couch” type of performance? Seriously impressive!

• Like 3