My hand crank operated RGC

C8Myotome

That’s really pretty cool
Nice work

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve completed a version using what I had on hand, including an AASS RGC device. Thanks for the inspiration! Using a chain hoist (since winches were sold out), I’m averaging a tolerance of .006, but with nylon webbing and environmental factors, I’ve seen accuracy down to .003. I 3D-printed a strap holder to keep the strap in the same spot on the handle and splay it below the handles to prevent rubbing. I also 3D-printed a shim to keep the gripper firmly in place, maintaining parallel alignment.

I’ve tested different pulley types, positions, webbing knots, and materials, and the setup in the attached photo is the most stable so far, with little to no drift in rating once tension is applied at the desired feeler gap over time. I’m open to feedback on improving accuracy or reducing variables. It’d be great to cross-ship grippers and compare ratings across other rigs. Canon’s expertise could provide valuable insight here.

I am also experimenting with new tags that I can 3d print with the rating, as well as a code to distinguish the rating authority, feeler gap used, etc..  Below is a photo of some of the setup and the tag was just my first draft missing the distinguishing code which I am still thinking about.  Either a QR code to a youtube rating video, or some serial number to show who, how, gap, and rating.

image.png.be371b3d578465fe55c27f6cd793ab3c.png
image.thumb.png.631362b8c4df78d0aff7031920e53371.png
image.thumb.png.62ece012d83cd950d5005e14fb8dcd6e.png

Edited by marcb
  • Like 7

Slightly filed the top clamp and removed 1 piece of rubber from it so I can rate a 9 mm deep file. Tested it in a vice first before reinstalling. Now I don't need to worry about any depth of file as I never file that deep normally. Also rated a grip genie for the first time today.

20240919_182037.jpg

20240919_183553.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, marcb said:

I’ve completed a version using what I had on hand, including an AASS RGC device. Thanks for the inspiration! Using a chain hoist (since winches were sold out), I’m averaging a tolerance of .006, but with nylon webbing and environmental factors, I’ve seen accuracy down to .003. I 3D-printed a strap holder to keep the strap in the same spot on the handle and splay it below the handles to prevent rubbing. I also 3D-printed a shim to keep the gripper firmly in place, maintaining parallel alignment.

I’ve tested different pulley types, positions, webbing knots, and materials, and the setup in the attached photo is the most stable so far, with little to no drift in rating once tension is applied at the desired feeler gap over time. I’m open to feedback on improving accuracy or reducing variables. It’d be great to cross-ship grippers and compare ratings across other rigs. Canon’s expertise could provide valuable insight here.

I am also experimenting with new tags that I can 3d print with the rating, as well as a code to distinguish the rating authority, feeler gap used, etc..  Below is a photo of some of the setup and the tag was just my first draft missing the distinguishing code which I am still thinking about.  Either a QR code to a youtube rating video, or some serial number to show who, how, gap, and rating.

image.png.be371b3d578465fe55c27f6cd793ab3c.png
image.thumb.png.631362b8c4df78d0aff7031920e53371.png
image.thumb.png.62ece012d83cd950d5005e14fb8dcd6e.png

You're welcome. Very cool, I had to look up how a chain hoist worked. The 3d printed parts look very useful.

Those tags look interesting too, I'm not sure if I could ever use a tag, I just like using the bare gripper with nothing on it. I never liked dog tags swinging around as I have a very dynamic set and get all over the place with longer sets, plus I don't like random sensory stimuli of the tag hanging and swinging, like how when your hair tells you there's a spider on your hand etc. I just like using sharpie and like how it looks like that too

Screenshot_20240919_192516_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

You're welcome. Very cool, I had to look up how a chain hoist worked. The 3d printed parts look very useful.

Those tags look interesting too, I'm not sure if I could ever use a tag, I just like using the bare gripper with nothing on it. I never liked dog tags swinging around as I have a very dynamic set and get all over the place with longer sets, plus I don't like random sensory stimuli of the tag hanging and swinging, like how when your hair tells you there's a spider on your hand etc. I just like using sharpie and like how it looks like that too

Screenshot_20240919_192516_Gallery.jpg

Happy to send you some 3d printed pieces if you want to give them a shot.  The tag I printed currently swings freely but does not fall off.  However I have a version that is tight enough it wont swing to prevent the sensory issue as much as possible.  I am not a fan of swinging tags and string problems, plus I hate spending $.50 - $1 per tag depending on material.  PM me if interested.

• Like 2