Rolling Thunder progress to 200 lb pull? Training for CTD certification.

Joe T

Hey guys, today at the end of my workout I was able to pull ~140 lb x2 on the Rolling Thunder. This was my first time using it,  and this was after a full workout to failure on my CoC grippers, hub, and pinch blocks.

I have the whole Olympic pin apparatus thing and loaded 135 lbs on it after warmups (I figured the whole setup is ~140 lbs). It didn’t feel too bad, and I might have had 1 more in the tank. Afterwards, I dropped to 100 lb and did timed holds.

My question is, what do you think is the best way going forward to train for maximal Rolling Thunder strength? I’ve only ever held heavy weights for a long time while doing shoulder shrugs, and I figure this is probably where my base comes from.

Also, do you think it is at all reasonable to project a potential “Crushed To Dust” certification within a year? I can already comfortably close the CoC #2 and pull hub 45 lbs.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say, altho I'm no expert, but getting 60lbs within a year seems reasonable, especially since you're comfortable with the #2 and getting the 45lbs with the hub. Not to forget you got the 140lbs up twice and after a full workout. So I'd say with warmed up hands without any fatique, you could get 150-160lbs-ish?

Just make sure your hands are in the shape that you can do all of the three feats in a row. Just because you can lift 200lbs someday doesn't mean you can immediately lift the 45lbs with the Hub and CCS the #2 afterwards. I don't remember if there is a strict time limit on the CTD cert, but naturally taking anything longer than a few minutes to cert is just going to water down the whole thing.

Let us know how much you can lift with rested, warmed up hands, then it's easier to determine how much time is approximately needed to reach the 200lbs (We can't give you 100% facts of course, but many people here have certed the CTD and are more knowledgeable about the subject and the progress to get there).

Going from 140 to 200 on the RT in one year would be impressive. Most people could never do that. It's like going from the #2 to the #3. Some can do it, maybe even faster than that, most people can't however.