Rating AtomGripz 6-Band

Cannon

This is kind of a PSA.

I have had an influx of AtomGripz 6-bands to rate. Honestly, any of them are dangerous for my setup and I don't like doing these. One of the problems is that the knurling is nice and sharp and it's practically impossible to protect it in my fixture. These grippers routinely rate over 300 pounds and that is simply too much focused pressure. I do not believe I can rate these without leaving marks on the handles.

I won't say that I will not rate them, but you have to be okay with me possibly leaving marks on the handles. Some would be unavoidable pressure marks, although I do my best to protect against that pressure. Sometimes grippers tip out of balance unexpectedly. I consider this an accident, but it can happen. I have safety bars that catch the gripper but if it tips out of balance with 300+ pounds in place, the knurling is getting damaged against the bar for sure. There is nothing I can do about that. The bar is lined with rubber, but it still squishes the knurling. If my finger is in the way, I get a nasty injury which has happened more times than I care to admit. 

So I'll leave it up to you if you want one of these rated. There are significant risks to rating these 300+ pound grippers. If you want to keep them "like new" then I would not get them rated. Assume there will be marks on the knurling when you get them back.

This kind of goes for any gripper over 300 lbs although that is an arbitrary cutoff. :pinch
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Actually I should also mention smooth handles since AtomGripz has quite a few. Those I will just decline to rate over 5-band. They are even more dangerous because it's practically impossible to keep the strap on the handle because it slopes downward slightly at the close. It just slides right off, but not slowly or anything. It gives way and it's kind of like something exploding. I've almost gotten a few Darwin awards for trying to rate smooth-handled grippers. These are also more prone to tipping which can still leave a mark on the handle. Get these rated at your own risk. If you want them to stay "like new" then don't get them rated. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Cannon said:

So I'll leave it up to you if you want one of these rated. There are significant risks to rating these 300+ pound grippers. If you want to keep them "like new" then I would not get them rated. Assume there will be marks on the knurling when you get them back.

This kind of goes for any gripper over 300 lbs although that is an arbitrary cutoff. :pinch

Finally an upside to me struggling with grippers half as hard to close.  Stuff within my range is much safer and easier for @Cannon to rate!  😂🤣😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The one Jared had me rate was 355. That’s sketchy. 

• Like 3