Jose's bending log

Jose Matus

Hello all, I have decided to start a log in order to help keep me focused on my bIMG_20240717_130213303.thumb.jpg.fddfd34c8da3fbe99b62b348e7050085.jpgending goals as I haven't been as motivated as of late so I hope this helps get me back on track. I am primarily focused on braced bending but have messed around a little bit with some short steel in the past and other feats. The pic shows my most recent PRs. A 19 inch 5/8 bar, my first ten inch adjustable wrench, a Kerckhaert Century Bigfoot #5, Kerckhaert DF #1 and a failed 17.5 inch 5/8 bar.

• Like 7

Yesss!!! I love watching your horseshoe bends, they’re always a thing of beauty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Recent braced bends I did my most recent session. I am primarily focused on mid length bending right now but decided to try and heart an SSP #3 first to see if I could as I never tried before and was curious. It was tougher than I expected due to the shorter legs compared to the DS5s and St Croix 5 Xtras I've hearted but was pleased as I was able to do it. I did a 20 inch 5/8 bar down below to gauge my performance and to build some confidence and was able to do it in about a 90 seconds which is more than twice as fast compared to the last 20 inch I attempted. I also tried a 16.5 inch 5/8 bar as I was curious to how difficult it'd be and failed unsurprisingly, it'll take me a while before I get that. My biggest weakness currently is my leg crush as I am able to get my goal bar which is a 17.5 5/8 bar to a power position to leg crush but have yet been unable to pull it off so I've been doing 1-2 hours worth of leg crush isos 1-2 times a week.

IMG_20240817_071351764.jpg

IMG_20240817_071130519.jpg

IMG_20240817_071103462.jpg

• Like 5

Great bending Jose, and great training insights too on the leg crush iso programming!

• 1 month later...

I managed to perform a successful braced bend attempt of a 19" 5/8 bar for David Horne's list. The bend felt pretty good overall and was the fastest I ever managed to bend a 19" bar. Following the video attempt, I bent 3 more 19" 5/8 bars successfully. I feel like I am ready to try an 18.5" which I will do later this week after I have recovered. https://youtu.be/kNt2YTb55z4

• Like 2

NICE WORK

I achieved a new PR today by bending a 17.5" x 5/8 bar. I've been after this bar for several months and am pleased to have finally gotten it. The bend took me roughly 13 minutes to complete. Following that, I decided to do a speed bend attempt on a DS5 Horseshoe and was able to heart it in less than a minute. For the rest of the bending session, I focused on isometrics with the leg crush phase of the braced bend as that is my weakest link currently. 

The attached photo shows the 17.5" 5/8 bar, a DS5 heart and a St Croix Ultralite 2 heart for size reference.

IMG_20240926_031339946.jpg

Edited by Jose Matus
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jose Matus said:

Love to see the videos Jose, I hope you post more. 

• Like 1

My first attempt at long bar bending, I bent a 3/4 x 34" bar. I didn't expect to be able to complete it but I managed to do so after working on it for 20 minutes. The kink was not as hard as I expected but the final sweep portion of the bend to get the bar into a power position to leg crush was quite challenging. I'm going to start implementing long bar bends into my routine and see how far I can take it. 

IMG_20240930_113322696.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

First attempt bending a "Wonder-Bar" (3/8 x 2" x 30") and was successfully able to complete the bend in around 10 minutes. I had no idea how hard this bar would be and honestly wasn't sure I'd be able to get movement but was pleasantly surprised I completed it. 

I've also recently made two video attempts at attempting a 17.5" x 16mm bar for DHWOG and failed both attempts. I was able to get the bar to about 90° in a little over a minute but failed at the leg crush which is my weakest phase of the bend. I have only successfully bent the bar all the way twice in previous training sessions. I intend to focus on the leg crush phase with increased volume and hopefully complete the bend for DHWOG before the year ends.

IMG_20241027_092249313.jpg

• Like 2

That’s f$$king crazy