Dmitry Volegov Certifies on the Captains of Crush No. 4 Gripper

RHZGrip

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

The last year has made it very clear that video certs are a very bad idea.

There are safeguards IM could take but maybe can't for fear of changing the cert again. I'm not very worried about the upcoming MM cert, for example. But I'm in a position right now to establish protocols at the initiation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

That's because you're a newbie and haven't followed grip sport so you don't know what has happend. The last year has made it very clear that video certs are a very bad idea. 

Well then, I guess we'll just have to see I'm IM keeps using them.

Video certs could be a lot more regulated...the gripper could be shipped inside a number combination padlocked box, you could get on a live video zoom call with the judges, and have them tell you the code to unlock the box on live video and do the close in front of them on zoom while making the video.

The format of video is not the problem, the problem is people having the opportunity to fiddle with the package and exchange the gripper with a fake one before the camera even starts recording.

• Like 8

I don't put any stock in certs or videos anymore since I can't even count how many cheaters we've seen over the years. Especially when any day now we're going to be able to make AI videos and everyone will be snatching the inch. Competition is all there is, everything else is unofficial to me

This is how it works in many other sports, no matter how nice your video is you can't set a powerlifting record in your basement

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I don't put any stock in certs or videos anymore since I can't even count how many cheaters we've seen over the years. Especially when any day now we're going to be able to make AI videos and everyone will be snatching the inch. Competition is all there is, everything else is unofficial to me

This is how it works in many other sports, no matter how nice your video is you can't set a powerlifting record in your basement

Yup, at the end of the day, that's what counts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

You're arguing we shouldn't have the same rules for different levels of the certification. Which is stupid.

Gold nail bend will never happen ever with the current rules. 

Depends on two factors.

First is if the gold nail remains the same difficulty then it will not happen. If a batch of super easy gold nail appears then it could be done. And we’ve seen both super easy reds and golds in the past. 

Second is how strict they are with keeping the rules. IMO no red nail cert since the rule change has followed the rules. Given that fact I could see someone DO bend the gold with how the rules have been applied thus far. Say a +240 lbs verson of Derek Graybill shows up, then it can be done. But if the rules are followed as they are written i.e. no DO, then it will not happen.

I could probably full reverse a red nail at arms length from straight down to 2” without it ever touching my body when I’m in good unbraced shape. But a Gold nail, which is basically like two red nails taped together, forget about it. Not happening. Not even with a $10 million reward and the top strength guys go after it for a decade straight.

• Like 3

If the rules are applied the same way they were when London and I certified then I think it’s doable. It’ll be one hell of a mountain to climb but doable. I do agree the wording of the rules is terrible though and it’s painfully obvious that they know nothing about bending despite calling themselves the gold standard of bending 😂 

• Like 1

Oh so Ironmind changed another cert? No more DO bending? I don’t follow the certs but that’s par for the course for Ironmind. 

11 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Oh so Ironmind changed another cert? No more DO bending? I don’t follow the certs but that’s par for the course for Ironmind. 

It's a little off-topic here. But you can read all about it HERE.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, king crusher said:

You can use DO and that’s what London and I both did. It’s basically just loosely wrapped pads touching for Red or 38mm gap in the middle for Gold (any unbraced style), single pad with the overhang folded toward the center (again any unbraced style), or Ostlund style (pads folded into squares in your palms. Ridiculously hard and basically just a safe way to train barehanded.). The wording is just really bad but no matter which style you choose it has to be bent to within 2” and they’re going to be extremely nitpicky about everything. Hardest part of certifying is dealing with the gate keeping from the marketing team. 

Why doesn't Ironmind just make people attempting certs  pinky promise not to lie or cheat? Are they dumb? 

• Haha 11

12 minutes ago, stranger said:

Why doesn't Ironmind just make people attempting certs  pinky promise not to lie or cheat? Are they dumb? 

They can even put their hand on a copy of Dr Strossen's book and swear to close the gripper, the whole gripper, and nothing but the gripper

Edited by Luke Blackwell
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Depends on two factors.

First is if the gold nail remains the same difficulty then it will not happen. If a batch of super easy gold nail appears then it could be done. And we’ve seen both super easy reds and golds in the past. 

Second is how strict they are with keeping the rules. IMO no red nail cert since the rule change has followed the rules. Given that fact I could see someone DO bend the gold with how the rules have been applied thus far. Say a +240 lbs verson of Derek Graybill shows up, then it can be done. But if the rules are followed as they are written i.e. no DO, then it will not happen.

I could probably full reverse a red nail at arms length from straight down to 2” without it ever touching my body when I’m in good unbraced shape. But a Gold nail, which is basically like two red nails taped together, forget about it. Not happening. Not even with a $10 million reward and the top strength guys go after it for a decade straight.

I really don't believe more upper body mass helps bending the gold nail. On the contrary I think around 225 lbs is probably around the ideal weight for that feat. You lose so much mobility when you get bigger which is very crucial for the bending the gold nail DO.

Someone with a larger frame however, so that the bar would actually be shorter in relation to their shoulders, that would help. 

5 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

The only thing that still bothers me about this story is how he was exposed (aside from the "broken" arm).

What is your understanding of how he was exposed?

12 minutes ago, Cannon said:

What is your understanding of how he was exposed?

I expected we would be discussing some specific evidence base, as with did with Tiziano’s exposure. 
But in this case, it seemed to me that the person simply distanced himself from the community, refused to meet and close grippers.
And only on this basis alone the certification was revoked.

Maybe I missed something?

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

I expected we would be discussing some specific evidence base, as with did with Tiziano’s exposure. 
But in this case, it seemed to me that the person simply distanced himself from the community, refused to meet and close grippers.

Who knows if anything was found or what the reason was, unless Randall tells us. Could be he'll get his certs back just by showing something very close in a controlled environment. Or completely banned. When you aren't told things you don't know things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

I hope that someone who feels they know the details will weigh in. I’ve had a few conversations with different people who have details, but I do not feel in a position to recap or clarify. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

The only person revoking certifications is Dr. Strossen.  He's made it pretty clear in the past that he isn't swayed by any of the discussion here, although there are some members of the gripboard who have relationships with him and maybe have some influence.

At this point, I haven't seen any official public statement from IronMind as to the reasons for the revocation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pleased to see that Dmitry has been removed from the certification list. However, it's important to remember that individuals like him will continue to emerge. Dmitry was not the first, nor will he be the last. We had Tiziano, Silverback, Timmy and the likes. While the current members are more vigilant, their influence may diminish over time, and newer members may not take their opinions as seriously. I anticipate that we may see a similar pattern in the future, with inexperienced individuals (unelected lawyers) being misled into defending such behavior. To those reading this in the future, I encourage you to always apply sound judgment and to use your God given brains. 

On 9/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, Fist of Fury said:

They should do that for all certs and records. Video was good during restrictions, no need for it anymore.

I agree

On 9/25/2024 at 4:50 AM, C8Myotome said:

The stories between Tiziano and Dmitry are so similar you could almost just swap the name and have it be the same story, right down to hiring reputable well known coaches to try to sell the idea that they became the "best in the world" in just months, while using fake grippers to cheat certs. You can still see tizianos fake GHP8 and GHP9 certs on GHP's YouTube channel. They were both too good for the 3 cert, and went for reps on the 3.5 cert as well. The only real difference is tiziano got greedy and started the fake scale stunts which is what started the serious investigation into what ultimately outed his fake gripper certs after closer examination, while it appears Dmitry tried to pull the fake broken arm stunt and stop responding to anyone and basically disappear. Both tiziano and Dmitry turned down the free trip to Dubai to show their strength to a reputable witness in person as well. They also both stated that anyone who questioned them was just jealous..lol

Absolutely, that's very true! Both of them follow the same pattern.

• Like 5

It's hard to see someone put all their self respect on the line just for attention and status. Not to mention show blatant disrespect for the sport. Someone who cheats clearly doesn't appreciate the sport for what it is. To them, it's just a platform for their ego.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Luke Blackwell said:

It's hard to see someone put all their self respect on the line just for attention and status. Not to mention show blatant disrespect for the sport. Someone who cheats clearly doesn't appreciate the sport for what it is. To them, it's just a platform for their ego.

Yup, there's people like that everywhere in society. So it shouldn't be any different in grip sport. But grip sport is not that big so hopefully it will not attract as many of those individuals. If grip sport grows I suspect we will see even more people like this. Then on the other hand we will also see more serious competitions around the world, so it won't be as easy to cheat, hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1