4.8 bolt vs grade 5 or drill rod

dean_redzic

Hello,

Are the horrido bolts (4.8, A2, A4 etc) harder to bend than drill rod or even grade 5 bolts at the same krahling rating?

I know ratings are only approximate but I have bent a grade 5 at approximately 420lbs,  but a 220lb 4.8 is much harder. Is it possible that the bolts vary that much?

I have matched the markings to the eat chalk get big ratings

Is the grade 5 a 1/4×6"?

If so then the increased difficulty could be the length. 420@7" is not the same bend as 420@6". 

Yeah it is 6" (silver NY grade 5 1/4"x6")

The 4.8 is 7" but only 220lbs according to the chart

That g5 is definetly the harder bend.

If you are new to 7" stock then you just have to adapt  to length. It is a big inch.

• Like 1

I know grade 5 bolts can be all over the place in terms of rating. I have never encountered one harder than the Horrido 4.8 bolt tho. I think the grade 5 bolt you have are unusually hard ones if they are harder than the 4.8.

The hardest 1/4 G5 bolt I've bent was always slightly easier than the Horrido 4.8 bolts at the same length.

Have you bent them both to sub 2", or are you talking about the start of the kink? Because if the latter, it's possible that the thicker stuff is harder to start.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, matek said:

Have you bent them both to sub 2", or are you talking about the start of the kink? Because if the latter, it's possible that the thicker stuff is harder to start.

Although G5 bolts can vary a lot I think 420 lbs seems like way out of range. I mean that's where you start to find red nails. So my guess that rating is not comparable to the numbers Horrido puts up on his website.

Also like you said the kink will be harder on the 4.8 bolt. Even more if you're doing double overhand. The 4.8 bolt is 180 mm long and the G5 bolt I assume is 6". That 4.8 bolt will always be harder to kink under those circumstances and the G5 bolt will always be harder to crush. The 4.8 bolts from Horrido is actually the least springy material I ever bent, while G5 and G8 bolts are the most springy.

Edited by Fist of Fury

Just going off of this spreadsheet it says a silver grade 5 1/4" by 6" with the NY stamp is 420. Could be way off though.

I am only bending DU at the moment so the initial part could be the issue 

Screenshot_20240704_112037_Sheets.jpg

15 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Although G5 bolts can vary a lot I think 420 lbs seems like way out of range. I mean that's where you start to find red nails.

I was surprised as well, but I checked and apparently, people rated G5s even higher than that.

19 minutes ago, dean_redzic said:

I meant the very start (not up to 30 or 40), it will just give up after that (unlike the G5, hence the higher rating).

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dean_redzic said:

Just going off of this spreadsheet it says a silver grade 5 1/4" by 6" with the NY stamp is 420. Could be way off though.

Screenshot_20240704_112037_Sheets.jpg

Crazy that they go even higher than some G8's.

Kink is always going to be easy on a 1/4 bolt. Challenge with these kind of bolts are always the sweep and crush.

Edited by Fist of Fury

Most grade 5 bolts should range between 305-350 for a 1/4 inch x 6 inch bolt. It's possible that some manufacturers use slightly stronger steel, but 420 lb is about where G8 bolts come in. I've rated g5 bolts at close at 400 so I can believe there is variability there. It really depends on the manufacturer and the batch. Worse case, rate a few yourself compared to another known product.

Re: horrido's bolts, the 7 inch for me is a lot tougher on the kink especially when using single wraps. Like Sid said it's really a big inch!

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input everyone.

If I dedicate my training to the 7" length will 6" require much training to get back into the flow of things?

Does 7" transfer to 6" length? It would seem that training 6 inches doesn't directly transfer to 7 inches  

Obviously specificity is king, but just curious if there is transfer and If I should be spending more time on longer bars

Edited by dean_redzic
Added extra info