Bending and snapping.

purehealthy

Brand new to the sport.

Just have a few questions I'd love to fire off.  

I weight training regularly and within that there are certain standards such as range of motion, technique, 'strength standards' like 1/2/3 plates etc... I wondered when bending, what standards should I be looking to work towards or be aware of as a newbie?

Also, snapping steel. From what I can find online, this requires working your bar repeatedly until it gives in and breaks. I'd been using my leg as leverage to pull the steel open, is this considered 'bad form'? Do you grade snapping certain grades of steel based on time or any other factors?

Right now, I'm just messing about, having fun and finding my feet but I'd love to tighten things up a bit. 

There's many different "classes" in steel bending. Many different techniques, different amount of wrapping etc. When comparing feats, everything needs to be done with the same set of rules.

The biggest difference is braced and unbraced bending. What you're doing when supporting with the leg is braced bending. You can do snapping unbraced also but it's most commonly done the way you're doing it.

Unbraced bending is always going to be harder. Double overhand is considered unbraced but in reality it's sort of a combination of unbraced and braced. The bar and your hands might touch you're neck and chest but apart from that it has the same rules as other styles of unbraced bending. So it's sort of a hybrid although it's always categorised as unbraced.

You're not allowed to use your feet in braced bending, like standing on the bar. You can use any other part of your body, everything will go under "braced bending", you can use which ever technique you want as long as you don't use your feet.

For unbraced bending the technique you're using will will be separated in to different classes. Like double over hand is a much stronger technique than reverse so they will not be compared to each other.

There's a lot of different types of steel to bend, different bolts etc. What's considered good totally depends on what technique and what type of wrapping you're using.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. 

I'd bought a few starter kits from Gods of Grip, and absolutely used my legs when bending a tougher bar, good to know this still counts!  I guess a progression would be going from braced, to unbraced with those bars is something to work on. I also have a few dozen 60D nails to build progressions on and experiment with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, purehealthy said:

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. 

I'd bought a few starter kits from Gods of Grip, and absolutely used my legs when bending a tougher bar, good to know this still counts!  I guess a progression would be going from braced, to unbraced with those bars is something to work on. I also have a few dozen 60D nails to build progressions on and experiment with. 

No problem, that's what this forum is for. Bending can be quite confusing at first. It's even more complex than grip stuff to be honest.

Everything counts, most impiortant thing with bending feats is to label your feat correctly, that's all. Be transparent with what you're doing.

Learning the technique is going to be the most important thing. Everything from how you’re wrapping the bars/bolts, hand placement, and where the pressures are applied takes time to learn and perfect. It’s also painful but at the same time extremely satisfying. Double overhand is the standard but depending on your background you might find that you’re more comfortable double underhand. A bend is considered complete for double overhand, barehanded, and braced when the ends of the bar/bolt are within 2” apart from the lowest part of the inside edges. For double underhand and reverse it’s considered complete when whatever you’re bending is past 40°. There are tons on milestones to shoot for along the way based on material, style, length, width, amount of wrapping, and even time.

• Like 1

If you want to get an idea for difficulty progression @devinhoo one hell of a spreadsheet full of ratings at various lengths and widths going all the way from a number 2 pencil to a 3/8x7” grade 5 bolt. It’s great for assessing where you’re at currently and will help make incremental progress but keep in mind the leverages change based on length so even if something rates the same at 6” as it does for 7” it’s going to feel significantly harder at 7”. Here’s the link to that spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/11d_ZIIbkcM8cM53cJlzWwTVCZYnMuzUqdwe7RKf0Kc8/htmlview#gid=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1