Richard Sorin

John McCarter

I came across these two post. I cannot find any more information at this moment to state if this is true or not. If it's true, the world lost a real legend. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7spDyVgTqq/ 

• Sad 11

My condolences to the family. An absolute legend 

• Like 1

So sad, RIP Richard. He was the first ever to certify on a COC #3 in 1991 and also recertified once the credit card rule went into effect... Badass dude.

• Like 2

Damn.

• Like 3

Terrible is right. I wonder what happened. :( 

Sad news. Condolences. The original Captain of Crush.

Passing of a true grip legend.

Rest in peace. Legends never die.

Condolences go out to his family and friends.

Huge loss, his contribution to the strength community can hardly be matched, Sorinex created many of the things that nowadays everyone thinks is normal equipment in gyms everywhere. His influence extended well beyond just grip sport and even that was already gigantic

• Like 1

R.I.P. Richard Sorin 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, John McCarter said:

I came across these two post. I cannot find any more information at this moment to state if this is true or not. If it's true, the world lost a real legend. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7spDyVgTqq/ 

I just saw the sad news on Sorinex IG account. Very sad news indeed. He and a few others shaped our grip sports. He was the first IronMind CoC #3, founded the blob and I believe 2 york 45s pinch. A true legend. He will truly be missed. My sincere condolences to his family. 

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 3

Sad news

• Like 1

Devastating news. He was such an inspiration to so many over the years. I remember the videos with him, Tex Henderson and Rich Williams from around the time of his re-cert. He is gone now but the memories will remain.

• Like 1

This news completely floored me, and I'm still spinning from it.

Eric Roussin allowed me to do a dedication prior to the first event of Day 2 of the North American Grip Sport Championship.

Here is the short speech I prepared.

"I woke this morning to learn that our Lord needed someone with a strong Grip. He called Richard Sorin.  The man called Pops, the Grip Legend, himself, has passed away.

Over 20 years ago, one of the first people I learned about in the world of Grip was Richard Sorin. The first Captain of Crush. The man who coined the term Blob, he the challenged himself to lift a half 100lb York Dumbbell with a pinch grip, and was successful in doing so.

Richard was my main inspiration in Grip. He's the reason I fell in love with the practice of developing a well rounded strong grip.  Over the years, any time I accomplished a major goal, he was one of the first I shared the news with. The Double Old School York 45s pinch, the Thomas Inch Dumbbell Clean, just to name a couple.

I had the honor of holding the Global Grip Challenge at his facility, Sorinex, in 2006 and I was the MC at Summer Strong at Sorinex in 2011. 

Today, as we chalk our hands and take our Grips, remember that Richard Sorin was a pioneer and paved the way for us all.

And remember that no matter how well we chalk up, and how good of a grip we think we have, the people we love and look up to can be taken away from us without warning.

And now, I ask for a moment of silence as I perform a 10-bell salute to the great Richard Sorin. Thank you."

I then took a Silver Bullet disk and chimed it 10 times.
  • Like 18

Legend in the strength community.  His legacy will persist for generations.

Very sad news, we lost a great leader legend and hero 

RIP Richard

It seems like every time I pop on the Gripboard for a read, I am reading something like this.

So much to say about Richard. He was a mentor for many years to me and always provided me with great advice when I needed it.

In early 2003, when I certed on the #3 at the Arnold Classic, I ran into Richard who was over the moon excited for me. We talked for about 30 minutes about grip, and he told me to stay in touch and to keep training hard. When I did my grip contest in the summer of 2003, he provided a grip machine to give away as a prize. I believe it was the Pop's Gripper and Steve McGranahan won it. He also donated cash. He was actually in an Ebay battle at the exact same time to win a set of the original silver crush grippers to donate as well, but he didn't end up winning the bid when it closed.

When I purchased an Inch Dumbbell from Richard, one of his staff messed up the shipping costs and I only paid about $20 to ship the inch. Richard called me and explained the situation, and even when I offered to pay the full price, he refused to take it.

Later, when my oldest son was competing in powerlifting, Richard sent us a Texas Deadlift bar free of charge to help prepare my son for his World's meet. He also sent us checks to cover his meet entrance fees and t-shirts to wear while he competed. Another time I reached out to him to talk about pinch grip and a few days a later, a beautiful pinch block showed up at my front door, complete with Richard's autograph.

We stayed in touch over the years. When Richard fought his cancer battle, I sent him some books for motivation. Whenever I would have grip questions for myself or my son, I would send a quick email and Richard would always respond back with some gems. His knowledge and love for the strength game was contagious and is evident in everyone that had the pleasure of talking to him.

We have lost a great man and a legend in the grip and strength world. As they say, time waits for no one. As I get older, I see those I leaned on for support, motivation, and a good old kick in the butt, leaving this earth and it saddens me. We all have an expiration date.

Thanks for everything Richard! God bless you and your family! I hope you are getting after it in that great gym in the sky!

-Rick Walker

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

It seems like every time I pop on the Gripboard for a read, I am reading something like this.

So much to say about Richard. He was a mentor for many years to me and always provided me with great advice when I needed it.

In early 2003, when I certed on the #3 at the Arnold Classic, I ran into Richard who was over the moon excited for me. We talked for about 30 minutes about grip, and he told me to stay in touch and to keep training hard. When I did my grip contest in the summer of 2003, he provided a grip machine to give away as a prize. I believe it was the Pop's Gripper and Steve McGranahan won it. He also donated cash. He was actually in an Ebay battle at the exact same time to win a set of the original silver crush grippers to donate as well, but he didn't end up winning the bid when it closed.

When I purchased an Inch Dumbbell from Richard, one of his staff messed up the shipping costs and I only paid about $20 to ship the inch. Richard called me and explained the situation, and even when I offered to pay the full price, he refused to take it.

Later, when my oldest son was competing in powerlifting, Richard sent us a Texas Deadlift bar free of charge to help prepare my son for his World's meet. He also sent us checks to cover his meet entrance fees and t-shirts to wear while he competed. Another time I reached out to him to talk about pinch grip and a few days a later, a beautiful pinch block showed up at my front door, complete with Richard's autograph.

We stayed in touch over the years. When Richard fought his cancer battle, I sent him some books for motivation. Whenever I would have grip questions for myself or my son, I would send a quick email and Richard would always respond back with some gems. His knowledge and love for the strength game was contagious and is evident in everyone that had the pleasure of talking to him.

We have lost a great man and a legend in the grip and strength world. As they say, time waits for no one. As I get older, I see those I leaned on for support, motivation, and a good old kick in the butt, leaving this earth and it saddens me. We all have an expiration date.

Thanks for everything Richard! God bless you and your family! I hope you are getting after it in that great gym in the sky!

-Rick Walker

Wasn't aware of most of this.  Great to read it and thanks for sharing.

• Like 8

A true grip legend.
I have t-shirts from him, he made them in honor of Dmitry Khaladzhi, when he was in his gym and impressed with his grip strength, and that was not easy to do, then Rich Williams and Tex Henderson were there.
Richard Sorin organized the world's best grip tournament - Mighty Mitts.
He was a real enthusiast.
We are all mortals, but 73 is too early. Probably, the course of treatment for cancer, which he suffered several years ago, undermined his health. His mother had cancer.
Rest in peace Pops, your legacy is with us.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this Interview has been posted before. In the early 2000s, David Horne published a little journal/magazine called Iron Grip Magazine. I saw an ad for it towards the end of an issue of MILO Magazine, and sent away for a subscription. The first issue I received had this article in it, an Interview with Richard Sorin by David Horne. I lifted it from David's website, it was easily obtained by Googling "David Horne Richard Sorin":

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/greats2.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I apologize if this Interview has been posted before. In the early 2000s, David Horne published a little journal/magazine called Iron Grip Magazine. I saw an ad for it towards the end of an issue of MILO Magazine, and sent away for a subscription. The first issue I received had this article in it, an Interview with Richard Sorin by David Horne. I lifted it from David's website, it was easily obtained by Googling "David Horne Richard Sorin":

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/greats2.html

IMO things like this can't get posted enough.

Thank you

• Like 2