GHP plastic labels on handle ends yellowed? Quick fix here

degradated

I received this GHP8 after purchasing on eBay... The seller actually UPS overnighted it with free shipping! Anyhow, I noticed that it's in perfect condition except for the handle labels.ย 

The label ends are very yellow and old looking. I looked online and a quick fix was to set it out in the sunlight since UV rays seem to restore things like this. I happen to own a UV flashlight ๐Ÿ”ฆ so I experimented & lit one end for only about 1/2 hour. These are the results with a smaller flashlight. I imagine if I left it overnight it would turn out even brighter white.

Anyhow, I thought this was a good tip if any of you have the same issue. If you don't have a UV flashlight, I suppose creating a rig to keep the handles vertical pointed toward the sun would be an option.

Also, I cleaned up all my GHPs per Matt @Cannonย recommendations. This includes using a wire brush on the handles to remove chalk, sweat and gunk. I also use Flitz metal polish on the spring and buff it up, along with the tops of the handles. A little bit of 3-IN-ONE oil droplets to finish on the top of the spring keeps it from squeaking. A thorough wipe down with a old t-shirt seems to work well.

Here's all my GHP (gen 1s) to date. I started with only a GHP1 & 4 from 2012, but with the help of several board members and keeping a close eye on eBay, I was able to grow the gripper collection to 13 (plus two gen 2s). My goal is to have doubles of every level. ๐Ÿ˜‰

20240518_012254.thumb.jpg.2e8da557c27b840489ee4cfbc901c872.jpg

20240518_020921.thumb.jpg.e7a212687c0d9da020a838f6affbb2a4.jpg

• Like 10

Great solution. Looks like new!

• Thanks 1

Awesome, this is good to know. My first gen stickers are pretty yellowed, will try this method.

• Like 1

Dang, I think fresh batteries are important. I left the blacklight flashlight on the other handle end overnight after getting the first one satisfactory. Even after running all night, it still has a more yellow cast than the one with fresh batteries that had been only exposed for an hour or two.

20240518_220615.thumb.jpg.6433dd868798084f84d7e3516992c2d2.jpg

• 2 months later...

I modified my GHP plaque to hold more grippers now (5 extra). They are all gen 1s except one of them. Hoping to get doubles on all Gen 1s someday.

I like the variation amongst the same levels. For instance, one of my GHP4s is 85 RGC and the other is 95. Then I have a 105 GHP5 and 112. My GHP6s are 125 and 138. They make great bridge grippers to fill the gaps in between other brands for RGC ratings, or even just by themselves. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

20240723_060059.thumb.jpg.e7c0c67dab99ae934d358593b0b1f308.jpg

• Like 6