Near Misses and Time Fails

featsofalex

On 6/17/2024 at 6:56 PM, featsofalex said:

Been too long since I had something to post here, so came through with 3 in a row to make up for lost time 😭😭😭

*i think the 225kg sbr bar counts as a near miss because in cordura singles if i can get the kink I’ve never not finished a bend that I can think of!!!

08832163-462A-4D29-A90E-B2294B66D102.jpeg

Those are some brutal bends man! Just kinking that SBR bar in cordura is impressive

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gunna chalk this one up to both a near miss and a time fail. This shoe is a Kerckhaert SSP #3 and measured at 7.75x23.5mm (supposed to be 8x22) so it was a freakin brutal one. Tried doing it under certifying conditions and failed the time limit but kept working on it till I just couldn’t get it moving anymore. It’s so close to being done but I just can’t finish the damn thing off 😕 so frustrating. 

IMG_9438.jpeg

IMG_9439.jpeg

IMG_9440.jpeg

• Like 3

Damn dude that’s a lot of movement to put on an SSP 3, excellent job, the next one is going down!!! I haven’t tried one in a while but never got one past 90 yet, although I still remember the exact moment the first tIme I got one moving 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you man! Yeah going at it pre-exhausted was definitely a mistake but I think even going at it fresh would’ve had the same end result. This things a beast to try to finish off and was making my chest and lats cramp up in the attempt 😅 I just need to get stronger. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My past month and a half have been one miss after the other. Granted, I’ve continued moving the bar up so I’ve been missing harder and harder bends. Yesterday when bruce1337 and Thom Fingalsson had a grip get together I attempted to cert on a SSP #2 10x22. It moved slow on the kink. But the biggest error was that I repeatedly tried to sweep the shoe too early. I eventually did get it kinked far enough to be able to sweep it. But at that point I was started to get gassed out. And time was also starting to run out. I left the shoe at 90 degrees. 

I do feel though that if I was just a little bit stronger, and also didn’t make the same mistakes in the sweep, that I could bend it in cert conditions for Anton’s list - 1.5” wraps and sub 5 minutes.

It’ll be my goal for this summer.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 6

That’s an absolute monster of a shoe 😳 If I’m not mistaken that’d put you at the top of that list once you get it! I need to watch more of your videos to see how I can improve my technique 😅 I’m sorta just brute forcing it. 

I’m back! But this time with immediate even sweeter redemption!!!

Was well off center on a FBBC mag hex and it finally locked up for good on me at 2-1/4”😤 needless to say, I was not amused to took out my rage on a FBBC Magnificent Shiny Bastard and under 2 mins later the result was magnificent!

I’m planning to do 4.5” next week to take down an authentic FBBC insane bastard, but I’m two weeks the mag hex is going down in the rematch!!!

IMG_0785.jpeg

• Like 3

Time failed this 6.5” 12.9 braced attempt. Just spent too much time reworking my wraps and missed it by a minute. Once these are back in stock I’ll give it another shot though. 

IMG_9714.jpeg

• Like 4

I couldn’t stay away😂😂😂

Painful 1/4” near miss of a special OG FBBC Insane Bastard from my buddy @tkovach724who got it from his bro Chad who got it from Wiggy himself!!! Among the hardest bastards ever rated, these were 510 pounds at 7” for a theoretical 4.5” rating of 1,025 pounds (not counting around an extra 40 pounds for the exact cut being at 4-3/8”)!!!

After the OG Insane Bastard, one from this January was no problemo - 2 min bend!

Then my second ever try at a FBBC Insane Shiny Bastard - first try in some time and first time getting it under 3”. But other than closeness this isn’t really a near miss since that’s a hellacious amount of bending to go on an insane shiny. Plus I was out of moves and befuddled so this will still require a considerable amount of work … which I will postpone until my next run through the short stuff😂

28097AA5-8225-4249-AA20-5AE2D4F558D0.jpeg

• Like 5

Those are some rough sticking points man lol crazy impressive bends though and definitely worth keeping for isos 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Austin Seitter said:

Those are some rough sticking points man lol crazy impressive bends though and definitely worth keeping for isos 

Thanks man! Yeah, I think one hellacious hit will do the trick on the og bastard, but not sure what on earth the next move is on the shiny😂

If my cut on the INSANE BASTARD was an accurate 4.5" it was definitely finished! 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, Austin Seitter said:

That’s an absolute monster of a shoe 😳 If I’m not mistaken that’d put you at the top of that list once you get it! I need to watch more of your videos to see how I can improve my technique 😅 I’m sorta just brute forcing it. 

That’s true😂. I’ve seen you bending horseshoes. As soon as you sort out your technique, much bigger shoes will fall!

• Haha 1

I can’t stay away!!!

5/16”x5” crs in 12x16” cordura. After more or less succeeding on a 5” 70d I went after a mag bastard equivalent and had a very tough but good bend going until I just couldn’t quite close the show😭 Fingers crossed that equivalent was on the very hard side which I suspect it was and that an authentic mag bastard sees it’s demise soon in the 16” cordura (comes in just under 1.25” barrel diameter). 

B5AB68E4-7AA7-4238-BAED-151E8EBE483C.jpeg

• Like 4

Two successful vindications!!!

FBBC Mag Bastard (5/16”x5” crs) in 4”x16” cordura in around 2:20. Revenge from last week!!!

FBBC Mag Hexabastard (5/16”x5” crs hex) in around 1:35. Revenge from two weeks ago!!!

Then a new foe emerges! The Magnificent Duke Of All Bastards escaped with an inch from his life!!!

IMG_0955.jpeg

• Like 7

Does this count? 

this was my 4th. Skin just couldnt handke it lol

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, stranger said:

Does this count? 

Meanwhile Don Cummings: ”You call that a skin tear?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, stranger said:

Does this count? 

Hahaha, count it!!!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 1:59 AM, stranger said:

Does this count? 

Bah! Skin is overrated anyway 😂 

• Haha 1

Failed this 23/64x8.5” drill rod DU attempt. Just before this I completed a previously failed attempt which I got to 18° originally and it was absolutely no problem. Just ran out of steam on this one and couldn’t keep it moving. Next time I’ll just full send a fresh one and see if I can take it down then revisit this one later. 

IMG_0059.jpeg

• Like 1

Next on the near miss docket is the FBBC Shiny Duke (11/32”x7” SS). There’s a combine ZERO videos on YouTube or GribBoard of this bar being bent under 5 mins, and we were 7/16” away😬😬😬 I had high hopes since I successfully bent an equivalent last Monday (11/32”x7” 303 SS from Midwest Steel) but couldn’t quite make it FBBC official. The FBBC one felt a little harder throughout and then a lot harder the last inch. I did make at least one  moderate sized mistake and probably some little ones, and this is a bar that will require zero mistakes so I’m hopeful it’ll fall soon!!!

On the plus side, I avenged my greatest nemesis bar and another nemesis as well!!!

I’ve failed 6.5” Monster Squares many times in many ways but today the FBBC Big Monster Square finally tasted defeat in 3:06!!!

Although less of a blood feud, I’ve also failed the FBBC Big KOAB twice before, but it’s been at least 6 months since I last attempted it and today it went down in 2:10!!!

IMG_1168.jpeg

• Like 5

Those are some monstrous bends man! While we wait for the FBBC certs to come back you should take down a shortened Ogopogo! 6.5" will bump you to the top of the DO roster

• Like 2

Thanks dude!!! It was great to get them bent, especially in the same session! Good idea about Ogopogo! The BSC rules are pretty tough with no crush pads but I should try and work my way down to it!

• Like 1

Got these same two bars stuck at 4 3/8" and 4 1/4". They're both just a tad outside of crushing range for me

R (0.339") x 9" O-1 rated 390 lbs
9mm x 7" 1018 CRS rated 590 lbs

image.thumb.jpeg.4919e3123a292c4686904d337ad06fbd.jpeg

Edited by devinhoo
  • Like 3