Mash Monster progress update

Cannon

On 6/20/2024 at 3:01 PM, Cannon said:

Ohnomium :ohmy 

Unobtanium perhaps

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to this, I've been putting off renewing my subscription until new MM is available

• 2 weeks later...

There is an update. I don't have time to type it right now, but there is some actual progress. Sorry not sorry for cliffhanging this one. :cannon:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Cannon said:

There is an update. I don't have time to type it right now, but there is some actual progress. Sorry not sorry for cliffhanging this one. :cannon:

I can't wait 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

My Excitement level for new Mash Monster gripper certification 10/10. Excitement level for upcoming NFL Season 9.5/10 

• Thanks 1

I knew there was a good reason 172 was the heaviest pre-rated gripper available for some time now

Pre-rated offerings have been low because I have been working on moving my elderly parents from South Dakota to Minnesota. That is mostly done now and I plan to get a fresh batch posted soon.

Regarding Mash Monster, I finally have Chromium springs (a new level above Tungsten that will probably average 240). What an ordeal. :pinch The spring industry is a tough gig right now. I have now been shipped 0.331" springs five times in order to get them right. It's not even worth recounting all the trials and tribulations--some is already earlier in this thread--the main point is we finally have good springs. :yikes

Also, I have hand-selected and set aside springs to make all the levels 160 through 230 or 240, not sure where it will stop for now. (170 is still a question. That particular level might take a bit longer).

So then it's down to handles, which are in the queue! Things are really hectic at the shop. CPW is only part of the business there. It's otherwise extremely busy making parts for all sorts of industry sectors. The machines run pretty much 24/7, but we are slated to make zillions of handles including Mash Monsters. This will also get other Standard levels back in stock by the end of the year.

So that's the news. One of the MAJOR hurdles has been cleared. We now have the Chromium springs which enable all grippers starting at 210 and above. Of course, this also means we'll have Chromium soon as well. :cannon:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Great news 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

IMG_2395.thumb.jpeg.f3a5b9ceea55a60ecad842fc1418b2a6.jpeg

Wow :mosher:calm

• Like 5

Volcano knurling!!!! Very nice, Matt!!! Do you have specs for the mount depths on these beauts? Or is that a secret for now?

7 hours ago, Cannon said:

IMG_2395.thumb.jpeg.f3a5b9ceea55a60ecad842fc1418b2a6.jpeg

Wow looks amazing!
Maybe it's just the picture, but this color and shine doesn't look like aluminum to me😶

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben Helms said:

Volcano knurling!!!! Very nice, Matt!!! Do you have specs for the mount depths on these beauts? Or is that a secret for now?

The specs are whatever they had to be to achieve the desired ratings. Ten pound increments from 160 to 240. We made enough handles and sorted enough springs that I can build about 6 of each level. But I won’t build replacements until I need them. So as certifications are completed, I will monitor the grippers and watch for the rating to fall off. If it goes out of tolerance, that gripper will be removed from service and replaced with one that has the same original specs. I feel this is the closest I can get to preserving the spirit of the feat that “everyone did the same thing.” 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Wow looks amazing!
Maybe it's just the picture, but this color and shine doesn't look like aluminum to me😶

Aluminum. With the usual grizzly Standard knurling. These handles did not get the chemical dip that production Standard handles receive, which cleans and whitens them to more of a matte finish. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

If it goes out of tolerance, that gripper will be removed from service and replaced with one that has the same original specs. I feel this is the closest I can get to preserving the spirit of the feat that “everyone did the same thing.” 

Sooooo...what will happen to the old grippers that are removed from service?

image.gif.5db5acb0333586f717e0d72d558adf9f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Okay grip nerds. To make room for the new certification, I have started a fresh forum and moved this thread here. The previous forum has been consolidated a little, renamed Legacy Mash Monster and moved down under Community Resources on the main page.

You can find it here: https://www.gripboard.com/forum/17-legacy-mash-monster/

• Like 7

All of the grippers now exist and are finalized. It's not an exact science to mount temporary handles on a spring, look for a certain number, then translate that into permanent handles. Some of them I had to build multiple times to get them exactly where I wanted. They don't follow certain specs exactly, but I chose springs with the desired angles and then fine tuned them to the proper rating. They are simply beautiful! :wub:

The four levels for women are:
110 = Platinum spring
120 = Platinum spring
130 = Iron spring
140 = Iron spring

The nine levels for men are:
160 = Cobalt spring
170 = Titanium spring
180 = Titanium spring
190 = Tungsten spring
200 = Tungsten spring
210 = Chromium spring
220 = Chromium spring
230 = Chromium spring
240 = Chromium spring

MUCH MORE INFO COMING SOON including rules, protocols, how to sign up, and more. All your questions will be answered. :cannon:

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

All of the grippers now exist and are finalized. It's not an exact science to mount temporary handles on a spring, look for a certain number, then translate that into permanent handles. Some of them I had to build multiple times to get them exactly where I wanted. They don't follow certain specs exactly, but I chose springs with the desired angles and then fine tuned them to the proper rating. They are simply beautiful! :wub:

110 = Platinum spring
120 = Platinum spring
130 = Iron spring
140 = Iron spring

160 = Cobalt spring
170 = Titanium spring
180 = Titanium spring
190 = Tungsten spring
200 = Tungsten spring
210 = Chromium spring
220 = Chromium spring
230 = Chromium spring
240 = Chromium spring

MUCH MORE INFO COMING SOON including rules, protocols, how to sign up, and more. All your questions will be answered. :cannon:

This is really a great and and exciting thing for the community. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

110 = Platinum spring
120 = Platinum spring
130 = Iron spring
140 = Iron spring

160 = Cobalt spring
170 = Titanium spring
180 = Titanium spring
190 = Tungsten spring
200 = Tungsten spring
210 = Chromium spring
220 = Chromium spring
230 = Chromium spring
240 = Chromium spring

Congrats Matt!  Looking forward to this!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Straight for the 180?

@Nuttgens It will largely depend on what the sign up process is like...I don't want to spend 6-12 months to wait for the 160 to get passed around, either. Both 160 and 170 will be very easy for me. 180 is just below my max, but should be doable (just not as overall "easy"). My real goal is that I am training for MM190 on a 190 rated tungsten, and am a few mm off that. Also planning for MM200 (have a 203 rated CoC 4 to work on that)

• Like 8

I can clarify a couple notes. The general idea is that we're not running more certs than necessary. These take time and basically every step is performed on a volunteer basis. In an effort to make the cert as affordable as possible, it is currently designed to lose a little money.

There will be a master list of all certifications, but the official list will only display your name at the highest level closed. This is honestly meant to discourage sign-ups for people just "checking each box". People can sign up for what they want, and move around however they want, but we already anticipate bottlenecks at certain levels, especially 160. So we would rather not have 160 tied up with someone just checking that box. The rules will allow you to start at any level, and I am considering a rule that you cannot go back and sign-up below your best effort. If you fail a certain level then of course you could drop down if you wanted. My vision for the cert is that athletes land at select levels; not ascend a ladder as before. It's not about doing each one, it's about being on the list with your best effort.

Sign-up will not have a queue like before. Basically the grippers will be available in a product at Cannon PowerWorks, similar to the pre-rated grippers with a drop down of choices. If the level you want is in stock, then you can claim that level. It's that simple. Yes, especially early on it will be tough to catch the 160. But hopefully this will encourage athletes to grab other higher and available levels if they are ready. And we don't see this as much different than offering a queue and having 6 people sign up for 160. That 6th person still had to wait and wait. Plus it adds the step of managing a queue, which I want to eliminate any steps possible.

More to come.

• Like 12