Odin's Grip Journey

odin

BW 160

G BTR

L&R

35x3 attempts

45x3 attempts

55x3 attempts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTK2 2-handed Beer-mug

20x3

25x3 partials

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTK2 2-handed

30x3

35x1

40x0

TTK2 2-handed negatives w/partner assistance

45x3 attempts

50x3 attempts

55x3 attempts

65x1 attempt (more of a drop)

Rolling Thunder:

L:123x1

161x0

R:123x1

161x1

176x0 (it almost went up)

Blobs

L: 40x1 (left thumb still healing)

R: 40x1

50x0 (3 negatives)

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Lunchtime Workout:

Wrist Curls: L wrist too sore even w/ 100 lbs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit thumbs hard with many sets, FR & neg also.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coin Bag Carry 33.5 lbs: 1/2 mile alternating hands

Blobs:

L:40x0

R:40x1

Rolling Thunder:

L:123x1

166x0

R:123x1

176x0 (lifted a couple of inches)

TTK2 2-handed

30x8+1 partial

30x5

25x7

25x7

25x5

25x3+2 partials

BW 159

Lunchtime workout:

1/4 mile: pinched 25-lb York blob by face, alternating hands, no rest. Conditions were difficult due to light rain.

~1/8 mile pinched 25-lb York blob on the way back to my car, alternating hands, no rest.

Hit thumbs hard with many sets with "secret" KTA2 exercise, FR & neg also.

That's some crazy training!!! Keep it up if you can 

Jon@han

Thanks Jonathan, I'm trying.
176 will fall soon Odin!

Nik, I set my 2004 goal for the RT at 200 lbs. That may have been a bit optimistic. ;)

Edited by odin

Blobs (as usual, blob-style Yorks):

L&R

30x1 (thanks Sean!, it arrived today)

40x1 (extremely easy with R, especially since I worked my thumbs hard at lunchtime)

50+added weight (65.0 total)x 2 sets of 5 drops

50+added weight (62.5 total)x 2 sets of 5 drops/negatives

50+added weight (57.5 total)x 2 sets of 5 drops/negatives

I was doing the blobs on a balcony, and went inside while it was raining and did:

TTK2 1-handed

L&R

10x3

12.5x1

15x1

17.5x1

20x0

resumed after downpour:Blobs (as usual, blob-style Yorks):

L&R

50+added weight (57.5 total)x 1 set of 5 drops/negatives

50+added weight (55.0 total)x 2 sets of 5 drops/negatives

50x2 sets of 5 drops/negatives

Lunchtime:

Worked thumbs hard, FR & negs

Evening:

Blobs:

L:30x1

40x0

R:30x1

40x1

Grippers (no-set):

L:#2 (1/16")

#2 (1/16")

#2 (1/16")

#2 (1/4")

R:#2

SM (1/4")

SM (1/4")

SM (1/4")

SM (1/4")

TTK2 two-handed

25x3

32.5x5

35x4+1 partial

Edited by odin

I felt weak warming up with the blobs last night so I did contrast baths twice before I went to sleep, 2x during the night, and once in the AM. I also slept with arctic mittens on. It seemed to help a lot, as my hands were strong today.

Deadlift, french grip:

185x3

205x3

225x3

245x3

265x3

285x0

Military Press:

65x23

Odin's Blobquest Mile III

1/4 mile: 40-lb York blob pinch farmer's walk, alternating hands

-13 total carries with each hand in 40 minutes

-26 total carries with each hand in 1hr 28 minutes

1/4 mile: 30 lb York blob pinch farmer's walk, alternating hands

-4 total carries with each hand in 14 minutes

1/4 mile: 25 lb York blob pinch farmer's walk, alternating hands

-3 total carries with each hand in 11 minutes

I didn't do sand extensions between laps today. Other than the skin on my thumbs, hands still feel good.

Thanks Fedaykin01, I just do it because it is more fun to be outside and adds some variety.

Rested Sunday

Lunchtime workout:

1/4 mile: 40-lb York blob(+2.5 lb magnet attached) pinch farmer's walk, alternating hands

-16 total carries with each hand in 46 minutes

TTK2 2-handed

20x3

25x3

30x3

32.5x5+1 partial

32.5x4

32.5x2+1 partial

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTK2 beer-mug 2-handed

20x7

20x6+1 partial

20x6+1 partial

20x5+1 partial

20x5

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTK2 1-handed

L&R

10x9

10x5

10x4+1 partial

10x11 (after long rest)

40x1

50x0 (2 sets of 5 attempts)

50+added weight (65.0 total)x 1 set of 3 drops

50+added weight (62.5 total)x 1 set of 5 drops/negatives

50+added weight (57.5 total)x 2 sets of 5 drops/negatives

50x 4 sets of 5 FR/drops/negatives

TTK2 1-handed

L&R

10x1

15x1Rx0L

10x9

I am disappointed because I thought The Blob would be DL tonight. I felt weak (especially my thumbs & my entire left hand), despite taking yesterday off.

Thanks Jonathan!

I felt weak again during warmups, so I just did some shot rotations and sand extensions. I will probably take tomorrow off, and then hit it hard again Saturday.

Lunchtime workout:

Chins:

BW+50x6

BW+85x1

Dips

BW+50x14

Wrist Curls:

even 100 lbs hurt, will have my Dr. look at and see if I have a ganglion cyst (probably) or a bone spur or...? I've heard ganglion cysts are often treated by walloping them with a book.

I did a warmup set with two 25 lb plates and the 40 lb blob also felt very easy, so I went home to give "The Blob" a try and almost got it (see my album). I got airtime on 3 different attempts today. Thanks for the encouragement Jonathan, I was in need of some.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod..._album&album=59

That is awesome about getting the blob off of the floor. I have been watching your progress, and it truly is an example of perserverance! :bow

You are so close, I have no doubt you will get a full DL soon! Keep it up. :rock

Odin

You probably know this, and if so then this is just a bit of humour about me!

When you are smacking the cyst with that book, you do NOT have to keep hitting it until it goes away! :blush I have only had one cyst (on my hand) and it was way back when, and had only heard of hitting it with a book in passing. Well, I beat the crap out of my hand with that book, so much so that I finally numbed the hand that I was hitting and my other arm finally got tired!

I finally stopped hitting my hand and the cyst was still there ... I was pretty disheartened (I really beat on it too). By the next day, however, the cyst had already shrunk and was gone a short time after. My hand hurt like hell for a couple of days after that - from the beating tho, not from the cyst. I figured it out using my 20/20 hindsight, and gave some folks a few laughs when relating my newfound knowledge regarding the fact that the cyst will not immediately disperse.

:erm:rolleyes:unsure:whacked:blink:blink:blink

Odin, what do you use for the beer mug lift? Oh, and how do you like that TTK?

That is awesome about getting the blob off of the floor.  I have been watching your progress, and it truly is an example of perserverance!  :bow

You are so close, I have no doubt you will get a full DL soon!  Keep it up.  :rock

Thanks Chris! I have been watching your progress also, and enjoyed seeing that you are also getting into block weights and are making nice proigress.

cjcocn, I appreciate your input about your experience with the cyst & it was a funny story also.

foggymountainmuscle, "beer mug" is just referring to the way my hands are positioned on the Titans Telegraph Key at times. I read about it somewhere on the board, and it seems to be a little bit stricter/different.

Odin's Blobquest Mile IV

-14 total carries with each hand in 46 minutes

-36 total carries in about 3 hours. The last 1/4 mile was extremely difficult, but I refused to give up even though it probably would have been smarter to stop. I used my near miss with "The Blob" from yesterday as fuel for my motivation to finish. I had to take long rests in the shade just so I could get it off the ground and move it forward a step or two. The skin on my thumbs was raw and burning. Yesterday's training apparently took more out of me then I thought it would.

1/2 mile: 1-handed coin-bag carry 33.5 lbs alternating hands w/ no rest (longest carry 1/8 mile with each hand)

I'll put a picture or two of today's Sisyphean labors in my album.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod..._album&album=59

Warmup: 2-mile walk w/ 50 lb vest

1/4 mile: 25-lb plates pinch farmer's walk

-20 carries with each hand in 53 minutes

30 lb York blob tosses & palm-down catches

-caught 6 out of 10 attempts L, 5/10 R

25 lb York blob tosses & palm-down catches

caught 6 out of 15 attempts L, 4/15 R (all those years of sandlot baseball and softball must have helped my left hand in catching)

-was going to walk and toss 25 and catch w/ palm up, but it hurt L wrist too much in a bad way.

30 lb York blob: did brief farmer's walks using last 2 fingers

extensors: self-resistance

hands feel great except for skin on thumbs

Monday 5/10

Magic Circle squats 4 sets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a few gripper squeezes, left wrist feels bad. Was about 1/8" away on three #2 attempts with left & app. 1/4" away with 3 SM closes with R.

Tuesday 5/11

1/2 hour walk with 50 lb vest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chins:

BW+50x6

BW+75x1+1 partial

BW+90x0

Dips:

BW+50x7x7 (weak today on these)

Reverse wrist curl: 65x27x12x8 (I will focus on these until my left wrist is better, perhaps 135 lbs. for a single would be a good goal)

Wrist curl: 65x40x26 (took it easy due to L wrist pain)

Thumbs: heavy FR & negatives using cable crossover pulley.

Last 2 fingers: used cable crossover pulley.

Did a few pullups with 1 hand + 1 finger on other hand.

Found an extremely thick "pullup bar" outside work and did 12-10-6 reps with BW only (it is part of some kind of barrier in a parking lot, I had to stand on the trunk of my car to reach it).

Edited by odin

I had to stand on the trunk of my car to reach it).
:rock

someone who would understand all the "stupid" things I do to get a good workout.

keep up the great work!

-CHRIS

Thanks Chris, I would certainly understand. I will take a pic of the chinning bar sometime so you can see why I just had to try it. It is so thick that I didn't dare try chins, just regular pullups.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warmed up with 1/2 hour walk with 50 lb vest. 40 lb blob felt light so I tried to lift the 50. Was able to get some airtime with my right hand again, but no full DL yet. I really thought I'd lift it today, because I've rested since Tuesday except for warmup blob work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-12 total carries with each hand in 39 minutes (almost made it with 11 carries)

-40 total carries with each hand in about 3 hours. Brutally hard, probably due to trying the 50 first.

It started to rain so I went inside and hammered my thumbs for about an hour. Did 12 sets of thumb work using the cable crossover station, shot baskets between sets.