odin

Blobs:

L:25x1

40x1

45x0 (about 5 attempts)

50x0 (about 15 attempts)

R:25x1

40x1

50x0 (about 20 attempts, airtime on a couple)

Grippers:

L:#2x0x0 (about 1/8")

R:BBSMx0x0 (horrid, about parallel)

I took a 4-day rest from grip. Did some wrist curls at lunchtime, and blobs and grippers tonight. I was hoping the rest would make me noticeably stronger, but it didn't (tonight), unless the wrist curls from about 8 hours earlier affected me. Grippers were awful, felt as weak as a kitten so I decided to stop. I did have a good effort on the blob, don't know if it was my best, but it very well might have been. I put a pic in my gallery.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Sounds like "Neuro-Dumbass" I mean "dumbness." Do some VERY light gripper work on off days. Just massh a sporting goods store gripper or a Trainer/Beginner. It keeps the hands Smart in the gripper department.

-HH

Bob,

Great work on the Blob! Some great shots of the big boy in flight. HH's advice on the active rest gripper squeezing is excellent. You should see the gripper technique come roaring back in the next day or two.

Sounds like "Neuro-Dumbass"

BW 158

HAMMERHEAD, yes, I was one of those. I just wanted to see how I responded with no direct grip work for a few days. I can just see Mr. Forman on "The 70's Show saying:"You're a real Neuro-Dumbass!"

Sean Dockery  Posted on Apr 13 2004, 09:22 AM

Great work on the Blob! Some great shots of the big boy in flight. HH's advice on the active rest gripper squeezing is excellent. You should see the gripper technique come roaring back in the next day or two.

Thanks, they were stills from a video I took with my digitial camera, that is why they are small. I didn't lose anything on the Blobs with rest...but the grippers :whacked ....never again will I be a Neuro-Dumbass.! :trout I did some squeezing of a big Pony clamp a few times today, and will see how I do tomorrow with the blobs & grippers.

On Saturday I did a few light squats using the "Magic Circle", this was the first non-grip weight training I've done in about a month, due to pneumonia. Today I did:

Chinups BW+50x6x5x4 (also did at least one partial rep at the end of each set).

Dips: BWx6

BW+50x10

BW+75x2

I was pretty happy to do that well after my time away from the gym. I didn't want to do too much, but enough to whet my appetite so I will return. I won't do any direct grip work on this cold & rainy night. Rather, I will read through some of the back issues of Iron Grip I bought from David Horne before I slumber and dream of one-finger #3 closes and high-flying Blobs.

Edited by odin

BW158

Blobs

40x1 (very easy)

50x0 2 sets of 5 attempts

50+added weight (70.0 total)x 1 set of 5 drops

40+added weight (59.0 total)x 2 set of 5 holds/negatives

50x2 sets of 5 forced reps/negatives. Tilted weight on the way up and tried to gradually straighten it while struggling to maintain control on the descent

50x2 sets of 5 negatives. Tilted weight on the way up and tried to gradually straighten it while struggling to maintain control on the descent

40x1 (easiest ever, no effort at all)

50+added weight (70.0 total)x 1 set of 5 drops

40+added weight (59.0 total)x 2 set of 5 holds/negatives

50x2 sets of 5 forced reps/negatives. Tilted weight on the way up and tried to gradually straighten it while struggling to maintain control on the descent

50x2 sets of 5 negatives. Tilted weight on the way up and tried to gradually straighten it while struggling to maintain control on the descent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grippers: Pony clamp warmup squeezes felt "wrong", so no grippers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TTK2 2-handed (beer-mug)

20x4

20x6

20x7+1

20x6

20x4

TTK2 2-handed

20x8

Edited by odin

Blobs

40x1

40+added weight (46.0 total)x0x1

40+added weight (47.25 total)x0x0

40x2 fingersx0x0x0x0x0x0x0 (broke ground some, one near deadlift)

40x1 (very easy)

40+added weight (51.0 total)x1

40+added weight (53.5 total)x0x0 (broke ground)

40x2 fingersx1x1x1x1x1 (easy, did several to get pic for my album here)

40+5x2 fingersx0x0

Strained my left palm and uppermost forearm with the 2-finger lifts. Applied ice, took ibuprofen, hope it is ok.

Warmed up on 3/16, left palm & wrist still irritated, so I rested until today. The pain is analogous to a strained arch (plantar fasciitis?), so maybe I have a minor case of "palmar fasciitis"? I didn't do anything w/ my L hand today that was a strain. I won't start hitting my left hard again until it has been pain-free for a few days. I haven't felt any pain for 24 hours.

Magic Circle Squats +20x20

Plate pinches

L: 25sx1

45sx0 (did assisted negatives, one set of 5)

R:25sx1

35sx0x0 (I'm not sure why I was so weak on these today)

45sx0 (one set of 5)

93 pounds(one set of 5, one set of 2)

Blobs by the face:

40x1

40x1

50x0x0

The 40 was very easy with both hands, not much harder than the 25 blob. I will have to be careful with the 50, as it is a huge stretch for my hand.

TTK for thumbs & last 2 fingers (about 5 sets of each)

Shot rotations

sand extentions

Weighed my plates:

45s: 48 & 38 actual (not a typo! I think I will try to take the light one back)

35s: 38 & 37

25s: 27 & 26

BW 155

Quick lunchtime workout

Chinups:

BW+50x6

BW+80x1

BW+100x0 (2 negatives)

Dips:

BW+50x12

Wrist Curls: 95x46

Reverse Wrist Curls: 65x22

Reverse Curls (strict, against wall):

65x5

85x2

Blobs:

40x1

50x0 (2 sets of ~5 att.)

50+added weight (65 total)x0 (2 sets of 3 drops) followed immediately by:

40x1 hold for a LONG time

R::25x1

40x1

50x0 (2 sets of ~5 att.)

50+added weight (65 total)x0 (2 sets of 3 drops) followed immediately by:

40x1 hold for a LONG time...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sand extensions & shot rotations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The back of my hands feel like they were hit by hammers. The bones & extensors hurt and I can only make a fist with my right hand by using great effort, even after a good soaking. My left hand feels great in comparison.

NB: Don't think you can do a kick-ass blob workout after doing chinups & 3 different wrist exercises earlier in the day. :trout

Odin's Blobquest Mile

1/4 mile: 40-lb York blob farmer's walk, alternating hands

-sand grabs & extensions

1/4 mile: Coin-bag carry 33.5 lbs in each hand (longest carry 1/8 mile)

-sand grabs & extensions

25 lb York blob: 20 attempts to catch, palms down: caught a few, controlled descent of some, & dropped many.

1/4 mile: 25 lb York blob farmer's walk, alternating hands

-sand grabs & extensions

1/4 mile: One-hand coin-bag carry 33.5 lbs, alternating hands after 110 yards

I had to take about a 15-20-minute walk before my hands were ready for more punishment after the first 1/4 mile, my hands felt more like a claw. Mentally, it is a nice feeling to know that I really own the 40 lb blob. I'm sure I carried it a greater overall distance with my right hand, but I didn't fail at all to lift and carry it at least a little ways on any attempts with either hand. I did take brief rests before picking the 40 up again, and a few people asked me what I was doing. It was a good feeling to do the grip work outside.

Very inspiring Odin, one of these days I am going to take my block weights around the horse track behind my property :rock

Jon@han

Thanks HAMMERHEAD & Jonathan!

My hands need a rest today, so I just did some warmup sets with grippers & blobs.

I"m gonna have to do one of those workouts some time.

Wrist Curls: 95x50x10

Reverse Wrist Curls: 65x25x8

65x3

85x0+1 cheat

DB Hammer Curls:

35x7

40x6 +2 cheats

Shot rotations

Friday will be a blob-centered workout, with negatives. I am planning to do another Blobquest Mile on the track on Saturday or Sunday. I may add a different event to one of the 1/4 miles for variety's sake. I don't know if Odin's Blobquest Mile is for everyone, my hands seem to be able to take quite a beating. Just make sure you plan to take the next 1-2 days off from serious gripping if you decide to do it.

Nice work Odin,

BTW..have you worked out with the Thug wrist roller?

Thanks for your kind words gotenmyoou. I haven't received my Thug yet, hope it is worth the wait.

I did a brief blob workout tonight.

L&R

25x1

40x1

50x0 (2 sets of 5 attempts)

I decided to take it easy because I am planning a tough outdoor workout this weekend.

I hope I did enough to avoid neural dumbness, but not so much that it wore me out.

BW 158

Deadlifts, french grip:

135x7

196x3

236x3

256x3

276x1

The bar was noticeably thicker than a regular Oly bar, I'm not sure how much.

Military Press 65x22

Odin's Blobquest Mile II

1/4 mile: 40-lb York blob farmer's walk, alternating hands. 22 reps were done with each hand. It took me 11 reps with each to get the first 330 yds (~45 feet per carry), and another 11 for the last 110 yds. It was very hot, so I rested about 1-2 minutes in the shade between attempts. It took about 50 minutes.

-sand grabs & extensions

1/4 mile: 25-lb 2-plate pinch farmer's walk, alternating hands. Needed 31 reps with each hand, this was the most brutal part of the workout as it gave my thumbs a wonderful "carpet burn". I ended up grabbing as little surface area as possible with my thumbs, or I wouldn't have had any skin left to complete the 1/4 mile. It took well over an hour.

-sand grabs & extensions

1/4 mile: 25 lb York blob farmer's walk, alternating hands. I lost count, must have been around 15 reps. Did not rest between attempts.

-sand grabs & extensions

1/4 mile: One-hand coin-bag carry 33.5 lbs, alternating hands. Did not rest between carries.

-sand grabs & extensions

I didn't know if I could complete a 1/4 mile with the 25-lb plate pinches (my two 25's weigh 54-55 total if I remember correctly) after carrying the 40-lb York blob 1/4 mile. The last 100 yards were very hard, but I got at least a couple of steps with every attempt.

Edited by odin

I didn't know if I made it clear or not that I was pinching the blobs during my farmer's walks, not simply carrying them. I just wanted to clarify that for those of you who were thinking I was using JB's method of tossing them back and forth in MOHS. My hands are already a little sore this AM, despite a lot of soaking sessions yesterday.

150 yards: 40-lb York blob pinch farmer's walk, alternating hands. Ripped skin off left thumb, so I switched to CBC workout.

One mile: One-hand coin-bag carry 33.5 lbs, alternating hands.

You are really a blob-killer!!! :bow:bow:bow

You are really a blob-killer!!! :bow:bow:bow

Thanks for the kind words Burki, but I won't be satisfied until I fully DL The Blob. The good news is that I should be pretty close, as the "Stoic Blobster" bseedot said:

It is interesting to make a note of the measurements of the various sized blobs.  A 45 and a 50 have virtually identical measurements (the measurement taken from the top and the slope).  If a person can get a 45 it's only a matter of being able to squeeze five more pounds, as your hand will not have to get any wider to pinch the 50.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=2628&hl=

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lunchtime workout

Wrist Curls:

100x51x14

Reverse Wrist Curls:

65x21x9

65x7x5

Wrist Curls:

65x36x15

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BW 158

Blobs

L:40x0

R40x1

Just preventing "neural dumbness"

Rolling Thunder:

L:121x1

156x1

161x1 PR

166x0

143x1

133x3

R:121x1

156x1

161x1

166x1

171x0

143x3

133x3

last 2 finger Dinnie Ring lifts

38x1 L&R

73x1 L&R

83x1Rx0L

TTK2 1-handed:

L:10x3

12.5x3

15x0 (partial)

R:10x3

12.5x3

15x1

TTK2 1-handed negatives (touched wt stack w/little finger to spot myself during descent):

L&R

20x1

22.5x1

25x1

27.5x1

TTK2 1-handed:

L:10x6x6x4

R:10x6x6x4

Edited by odin

Chinups BW+50x6+1 partial

BW+70x1

BW+85x0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dips

BW+50x14x6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverse Grip bent-over Rows

115x7

135x5

Thumb exercise from KTA2 (you can guess what it is if you have read as many of the old posts as I have). I am not doing the KTA2 routine, but really like this exercise and other info in it. I did this thumb exercise yesterday also.

This is "thumb week". I am doing some thumb work at lunchtime and again at night, unless I am tired & decide to take the whole day off. I am primarily focused on getting The Blob to full DL by the first week in June, because I won't be able to train regularly for about a month starting at that time.