Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Plates may be too sharp, slight skin tear just under first thumb joint.

I think I may have run out of skin to tear on my thumbs practicting for the 6 dimes. I have no doubt that you'll be the next name added to the list.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Excellent work on the RT there Bob! :rock You're going to be a force at grip competitions soon. I think you'll be in the top half in the events you've been training (possibly even overall). Seems everything you go after you do very well at. 6 dimes...that's a huge feat in the grip world. I have no doubt you'll get it. Keep at it and good luck! Can't wait to see how you do in your next competition. :D

Plates may be too sharp, slight skin tear just under first thumb joint.
I think I may have run out of skin to tear on my thumbs practicting for the 6 dimes. I have no doubt that you'll be the next name added to the list.

Thanks nockowt1, It feels ridiculously hard now, we'll see how it goes.
Excellent work on the RT there Bob! :rock You're going to be a force at grip competitions soon. I think you'll be in the top half in the events you've been training (possibly even overall). Seems everything you go after you do very well at. 6 dimes...that's a huge feat in the grip world. I have no doubt you'll get it. Keep at it and good luck! Can't wait to see how you do in your next competition. :D
Thanks Gumpster, I expect to be a bit of a "dark horse" at least PFP in the axle, but the rest of the comp I will likely be near or at the bottom as there will be some real monsters there. Too bad there is no RT in the comp. Edited by odin

Very strong! You'll get it next time!

Thanks tja, if you watch the video, it slips out of my hand well into the descent. I hope to be alert for that next time. On the plus side, listening to the plates crash in slow motion is very cool.

Great job on the RT!! :rock Your massive RT numbers should also help with the Axle! Did You see improvement on the Axle lately? With those RT numbers You should be good for 350-375! :rock
I appreciate the kind words Burkhard. Very interesting idea. I've been slowly building up my DO DL and would like to get over double BW on the axle this year. I think 350 or more is a respectable lift for most anyone; the big guys in contests seem to often be clustered between 350-400 or so.

I don't have an axle yet, that will likely be my next grip-related purchase.

Bob, the A. Axle is one of my most used training tools! Go and buy one and let's compare each other! :D:rock

Very strong! You'll get it next time!

Thanks tja, if you watch the video, it slips out of my hand well into the descent. I hope to be alert for that next time. On the plus side, listening to the plates crash in slow motion is very cool.

Great job on the RT!! :rock Your massive RT numbers should also help with the Axle! Did You see improvement on the Axle lately? With those RT numbers You should be good for 350-375! :rock
I appreciate the kind words Burkhard. Very interesting idea. I've been slowly building up my DO DL and would like to get over double BW on the axle this year. I think 350 or more is a respectable lift for most anyone; the big guys in contests seem to often be clustered between 350-400 or so.

I don't have an axle yet, that will likely be my next grip-related purchase.

Bob, the A. Axle is one of my most used training tools! Go and buy one and let's compare each other! :D:rock

Burkhard, I probably won't get an Axle until at least September or maybe even after Gripmas (December). We can compare notes after my GGC pulls. :)

7/13/08

BW=165.6 lbs.

Workout interrupted, appropriately enough, by a severe thunderstorm and heavy rain. I love outdoor workouts overall, this was one of the few that actually affected my focus. In retrospect, I would have been better off eating again and waiting until the storm passed. The Rolling Thunder handle never felt good on a single attempt.

Rolling Thunder (old handle): 187 lbs.x2 RH x2 LH (warmup)| 212 lbs.x1 RH x 0LH | 232 lbsx0

Inch DB: Did a few sets of pulls from the mini-tramp and a few sets of attempted holds, did better at the holds than any other part of the workout.

Did get the grass cut between sets with the reel mower (no gasoline, human-powered), so it wasn't a total “wash”.

I'm thinking of doing Mr. Snook's 2 sets of 12 rep routine for a few months on the new handle and then max out w/ 222+ on the new handle or 240+ on the old one. I think 240-255 on the old or 220-235 on the new should just about guarantee a full Inch DL. I know I'm closing in on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/15/08

Pinched duct-taped blockweight of six 10s easily w/ RH (with good hold at top) and also got LH. Did it w/+2.5 lbs. RH and also broke from ground w/+3.75. Really ripped up skin on both thumbs by the joints, the edge of my York 10s are sharp and scrape off all skin they contact. Also did some Blob work.

During my last workout 6x10 felt ridiculous and plates quickly fanned out on me before it left the ground, so I think this might be a long process with the plates I have. I'm hoping that the lifts w/ the 6x10 blockweight will get my hand used to the size and weight involved in doing this feat. I think this would be a “done deal” with slightly slimmer, less sharp plates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/16/08

OH Press 120 lbs.x4 reps x4reps x3 reps.

Did some pinch w/ 2x45 to see where I'm at. Still can do easily w/ finger touch; I think this may be a mental block more than anything. Also did some 2H pinch work using a towel, as skin is all torn up. Finished with a bit of TTK.

I'm fired up about this weekend's DL workout; will go for 315 lbs. x 5 reps double-overhand using the Olympic bar (I know thats nothing to many of you).

Last time I worked consistently on RT, that 2 x 12 program worked very well.

You are doing great it seems!

Last time I worked consistently on RT, that 2 x 12 program worked very well.

You are doing great it seems!

Thanks Teemu! I might use the new handle RH and the old one LH with the same weight for the reps with the 2x12, that way I won't have to mess around with swapping plates as much (I hope).

Here is some practice with 6x10 (very hard on thumbs, might as well just cut them with a knife).

Have you tried taping your fingers when you do pinch work (specifically 6-10s)?

No, maybe I'll try athletic tape sometime, thanks.

How are you doing w/ 6x10 lately; it's a big hand stretch, isn't it?

Forgot to include that I did:

Plate Wrist Curls: 25 lbs.x 18 reps RH x6 reps LH | 25 lbs.x6 reps RH x3 reps LH

Burkhard, I probably won't get an Axle until at least September or maybe even after Gripmas (December). We can compare notes after my GGC pulls. :)

Cool! I'm looking forward to Your results! :rock :rock :rock

Burkhard, is your best axle pull still the 147.5 KG (324.5 lbs.) from when you placed 2nd in the "Deutsche Griffkraftmeisterschaft 2007"?

Burkhard, is your best axle pull still the 147.5 KG (324.5 lbs.) from when you placed 2nd in the "Deutsche Griffkraftmeisterschaft 2007"?

That's my best official pull.

Edited by Burkhard Macht

My best attempt so far has been about 2" of air. I made an attempt with them taped together and my skin didn't hold up to well (even with tape)

My best attempt so far has been about 2" of air. I made an attempt with them taped together and my skin didn't hold up to well (even with tape)

nockowt1, that's fantastic that you got air, that means you will be able to complete the lift soon as long as you keep gaining strength.

I don't have the patience to be chasing plates everywhere, that is another reason I'm taping them for now-it is a super wide stretch for my hand. You can see that

. When I see Jedd struggle even a little with a lift, I know it's going to be a big challenge for me.

The pipe I have weighs 3 pounds, maybe I'll get a PVC pipe because it'll be a lot lighter and I'll be able to use it to add weight to 3x25, etc.

2x45 is tough because it feels unnaturally narrow.

Keep up the great work, just breaking 6x10off the ground is a great feat and worthy of congratulations-very nice! :rock :rock :rock I think the combination of the very wide stretch and relatively heavy weight is going to create continual skin issues for us, but it's a worthwhile goal for sure.

Edited by odin

7/20/08

DO DL: 315x5 reps. Happy with this, last couple reps were a little hard. Grip was not even a factor.

Rolling Thunder RH (brand new handle): 167 lbs.x12 reps | 167 lbs.x6 reps+6 rest/pause reps

Rolling Thunder LH (old handle):167 lbs.x12 reps| 167 lbs. x12 reps

Inch DB: 3 sets of 5 OH assist (to stop rotation) lifts-let go as early as I could and still complete lift.

Very hot and muggy, mosquitoes a-plenty.

Edited by odin

nockowt1, that's fantastic that you got air, that means you will be able to complete the lift soon as long as you keep gaining strength.

I don't have the patience to be chasing plates everywhere, that is another reason I'm taping them for now-it is a super wide stretch for my hand. You can see that

. When I see Jedd struggle even a little with a lift, I know it's going to be a big challenge for me.

The pipe I have weighs 3 pounds, maybe I'll get a PVC pipe because it'll be a lot lighter and I'll be able to use it to add weight to 3x25, etc.

Keep up the great work, just breaking 6x10off the ground is a great feat and worthy of congratulations-very nice! :rock :rock :rock I think the combination of the very wide stretch and relatively heavy weight is going to create continual skin issues for us, but it's a worthwhile goal for sure.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm still convinced that your name will be next on the list.

Right now I'm using an ironmind loading pin (3.5lbs) to add weight to my pinch lifts. It doesn't fit as snug as I would like it to. I want a pipe that doesn't allow the plates to move. I'm considering adding a layer of tape to the loading pin to make it more snug.

How did you train for 3-25s?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm still convinced that your name will be next on the list.

Right now I'm using an ironmind loading pin (3.5lbs) to add weight to my pinch lifts. It doesn't fit as snug as I would like it to. I want a pipe that doesn't allow the plates to move. I'm considering adding a layer of tape to the loading pin to make it more snug.

nockowt1, I can think of at least 20 guys who could beat me to it if they chose to focus on the feat.

I didn't train for the 3x25 other than Blob work. I just found 3 matching 25s and pulled them.

Breaking it off the ground is huge. Keep up the great work.

7/21/08

45 minutes of Yoga

7/23/08

Pinch Workout

Very humid, dog days of summer are here.

-Started with 6x10 (loose) plates, felt like I got them about a millimeter off the ground, will have to see if that is evident in the video or if I just got the "float" feeling one gets when improving on a pinch feat. Did get some fairly good unassisted negatives, lowered quickly but didn't drop plates.

-Mixed in some 2x45 pinch with finger touch on thumb side.

-did some 6x10 duct-taped w/finger touch

-Did some 2HP with towel as thumbs were feeling raw.

-Finished with 2 sets of 2-handed "overcrushes" with towel on the 6x10s duct-taped.

Edited by odin

nockowt1, I can think of at least 20 guys who could beat me to it if they chose to focus on the feat.

There are definitely a few guys that I'm suprised aren't on the list (Chad, Clay, Wes, etc).

Kevin, I think some people don't train specifically for 6x10 very long because it is painful due to the weight/pressure on a small area of the skin and there is a very high risk of ripping up your thumbs as well as the annoyance of lining up the plates and dropping them, etc.

7/24/08

Yoga: 1 hour

Did some Blob work and various pinch work using towel.

7/26/08

Rolling Thunder RH (brand new handle): 167 lbs.x6 reps standing on 2" cement blocks+6 reps from ground | 167 lbs.x2 reps standing on 2" cement blocks+4 reps from ground+6 rest/pause reps

Rolling Thunder LH (old handle):167x12 reps standing on 2" cement blocks| 167 lbs. x12 reps standing on 2" cement blocks.

Experimented some with 2.4 inch diameter knurled PDA Thug wrist roller attached to loading pin with strap wrapped so it wouldn't roll. Worked up to 315, but only partial reps, I really need an axle.

Inch DB: 5 sets of 2 speed pulls with bounce from mini tramp (feet on tramp. Pulled high as possible.

Inch DB: 5 sets of 2 speed pulls with bounce from mini tramp (feet on ground, less ROM). Pulled high as possible.

Inch DB: 2 sets of 2 attempted holds at top of ROM

Inch DB: 2 sets of 2 attempted holds about 6-10 inches off the ground.

Edited by odin

7/28: Lifted the 6x10 plates with the three-pound pipe through them for the first time, that was the highlight. Tried some negatives with the pipe and 2.5 lbs. in platemates, this may take a while. Couldn't break the ground at all with the (loose) six 10s tonight.

Looked at video from the other day and it appeared that I may have barely broken the ground with 6x10 (one plate is somewhat shielded due to the way the mat was bent).

Tried 2x45 for a couple sets of 2 attempts. I had a couple lifts RH with a finger touch where i released the LH finger and still continued pulling the 45s up and lowered under control. I really respect anyone who can pinch 2x45; it's one of the toughest grip feats for me to conquer, but I will.

7/30: Root Canal: haven't weighed myself, but know I lost weight in my body due to pain and not eating and from my wallet due to the exorbitant charges.

7/31 Yoga: One hour. Did some pinching with 6x10 and 2x45.

-Highlight was 6 10s+ 3 lb. pipe plus 1.25 platemate lifted.

-Did 6 10s negatives with up to 8 lbs. extra weight (including pipe).

-Finished with 2 sets of mini-tramp bounce negatives with 2x45s + 7.5 lbs. added in platemates.

The toothache and dental work beat me up a bit-but I almost feel like a bounceback is coming because it seems that the unknown dental problem was likely sapping my vitality a bit and now it is fixed.

I am slated to try 325 lbs. for 5 reps on the DO DL this weekend. I know that's not an axle, but if I pull that my DO DL Oly Bar max should be 375 (if not I'm still around 365) or so according to online max calculators. I think I should have a good opportunity to be one of the few who have done a double BW axle deadlift. I should get it by Gripmas if not GGC. The only one I can think of with the 2X BW DO Axle DL off the top of my head is Andrew Duriant.

I am still basically a beginner at the DL because I have to concentrate really hard on keeping my chest and eyes up, arms straight, etc., and not just on pulling hard, so I'm excited on my potential for progress on the DL over the years despite my late start. I haven't done much leg work either (ribcage has some type of aggravation that flared during FS) and am thinking stronger legs would help my DL a lot-and I should be ready to FS again next week and more consistently on an ongoing basis I hope. I have continued progressing on my DL this year even when all my other lifts were hindered by injuries.

Edited by odin

Great job getting the 10s with the pipe. After getting air with them a few workouts ago I have been unable to do so again.

Do you think it is easier to pinch 5-10s or a blob?

Great job getting the 10s with the pipe. After getting air with them a few workouts ago I have been unable to do so again.

Do you think it is easier to pinch 5-10s or a blob?

Kevin, I think five tens is easier and more reliable due to the straighter shape. I actually got 6 10s with the 3 lb. pipe plus a 1.25 lb. Platemate last week. It is a pretty outrageous goal, I wonder how much additional weight with the pipe will make the loose plate 6x10 lift doable-lifting it with a pipe means that it must be doable if I get strong enough.

8/3/08

Feeling lethargic, perhaps due to heat or recent dental work. Strongly considered skipping the workout, which I rarely do. Back was stiff, so I did some yard work to see if it would put me in the mood to workout (the plan was to do extended yard work if I couldn't loosen up).

I finally started loosening up and decided to do a short but fast-paced workout and give myself an extra week to gear up for my 325x5 set of DO DL, which is 10 lbs. more than my best-case scenario I envisioned for going into GGC. I usually deadlift every 2 weeks, but once in a while I give myself an extra week if I'm not feeling hyped and aggressive.

RH Rolling Thunder (stood on 2 inch blocks, new handle): 167 lbs.x 8 reps+ 4 rest-pause reps|167 lbs.x 6 reps+ 6 rest-pause reps.

LH Rolling Thunder (stood on 2 inch blocks, old handle): 172 lbs.x 12 reps| 172x12 reps (tough)

Inch DB: 10+ sets (may have been more, will check video) of one speed pull with bounce from mini tramp (feet on tramp). Rested app. 30 seconds between sets after pulling once with each hand. Pulled high as possible, some well over waist. RH is well ahead of LH. Focus was on speed, concentrated on pulling each rep as fast as possible and making the Inch feel like the 132-pounder at Sorinex. Next time I will put more focus on slowing the descent; I did that on a few reps and it felt great.

Very hot and sweaty, but felt invigorated and better after workout than before.

Edited by odin

Doing yard work is an interesting way to warm up for a workout. It looks like it was quite effective for you. Nice workout.