Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Bob: your log inspires me a lot, and your videos at youtube are among the best i watched.

just curious to know if u are going to compete soon ...

R.T with 212 at 168 BW its top wordl.

Edited by ewokhugo

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Nice RT :rock

Thanks Alawadhi, Teemu and Honk! I appreciate your kind words.

Bob: your log inspires me a lot, and your videos at youtube are among the best i watched.

just curious to know if u are going to compete soon ...

R.T with 212 at 168 BW its top wordl.

Thanks Hugo, glad you like the log and videos. I think the Inch and Blob/pinch work helped me get up to that level after only ~5 RT workouts this year (starting at the end of April, I believe). I may start doing some RT work standing on blocks or using a chain instead of the loading pin to get more ROM. I ordered another RT so I can use two for pullups as well.

I'm planning to go to GGC at the end of August, more of a trial run so I can get a feel for what the GGC competition is like. I should be more competitive in 2009 or 2010 (maybe have a chance to actually beat a few of the competitors). I intend to be in this sport for the long haul and am in no hurry to peak; I feel like there is a lot of strength in me that I didn't know I had that is "awakening". I'm also planning to go to Chris Rice's Gripmas Carol contest in December.

I don't think Eaton will let me go back to Charlotte before I learn how to MM set grippers and bend. I didn't intend to do any bending at all due to a lingering L shoulder injury (my L elbow is a lot better, only feel during levering) and not being where I want to be overall strength-wise, but a couple of the guys are encouraging me to try; I guess because they think I might be good at reverse bending despite almost no experience because my wrists/forearms are strong on certain movements. I'm afraid I'll go a little nuts on the bending once i get bitten by the bug even though I've avoided indulging my curiosity while I am building up a good broad base of strength.

Would be great if Eaton taught you a proper MMS technique on grippers. With your great base strength, #3's and Elites will fall very quickly once you get the technique nailed. I know it for sure as you are way stronger than I am on all fundamental aspects including pinch, thick handle work and wrist strength. You will be competitive for sure already and once you get the gripper groove on as well even more so.

Temmu made a good point.

i believe your passion for grippers does not start yet ...

Time to start to bend Odin ! :D

Given your bodyweight/RT ratio, I'm eager to see how many pull-ups you can knock off with two RT handles.

Would be great if Eaton taught you a proper MMS technique on grippers. With your great base strength, #3's and Elites will fall very quickly once you get the technique nailed. I know it for sure as you are way stronger than I am on all fundamental aspects including pinch, thick handle work and wrist strength. You will be competitive for sure already and once you get the gripper groove on as well even more so.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Teemu. While you are light-years ahead of me on crush, I think we are similar grip-strength-wise in a lot of ways. We're about the same in wrist curls and RT. I may be a bit ahead of you on pinch, but I believe your hands are smaller (which affects RT as well)-I'm guessing you'd equal me on the Euro. I'm still at the beginning level with sledge work as I'm being careful with my elbows, not sure how we compare in that regard.
Temmu made a good point.

Thanks Hugo, you are right on both counts, good call.
Given your bodyweight/RT ratio, I'm eager to see how many pull-ups you can knock off with two RT handles.
It should be fun Rex, but I'm more intrigued by how much I will pull in the regular RT lift w/ the new handle.

Sunday 6/22/08

Felt a bit stale and BW went down to 166, so the only thing I'd done since Wed. was one hour of Yoga on Thurs. RH had been getting a little cramp-like pain in my palm (not much), so I thought it would be a good idea to rest a few days.

Started with 1HDL broke ground but didn't complete 255 LH and 275 RH (barely broke ground). Balance due to hand placement is now a problem due to the heaviness of the weights; I may need to put a thin piece of duct tape or other marking in the center so I don't lift it tilted.

After bombing on the 1HDL, thought I was in for a tough day, but surprised myself a bit.

Rolling Thunder:

187x10 attempts RH; 4 attempts LH.

222 Rolling Thunder attempt still pic <click here>.

I was pleased with my RT work and hope it helps with the Inch.

Inch DB Mini tramp work: 2 sets of 2 attempts from bottom of ROM (pulled almost to knees w/ no bounce RH) and 2 attempts with feet on ground each hand. Followed with 2 sets of two attempted holds at top and bottom and finished with 2 sets of two attempted "overcrushes" with OH assistance. Will do RT first for a while and see if it helps.

Edited by odin

More than 50 lbs over your bodyweight on a Rolling Thunder lift is freaking outstanding Odin :rock

More than 50 lbs over your bodyweight on a Rolling Thunder lift is freaking outstanding Odin :rock
Thanks John, I'll test myself on my new (unopened) one before I get too excited. My old one seems to spin just fine though. I did 177 right before I started training the Inch and now some people think I am really close to a full Inch DL, so perhaps the improvement is me more than any sudden aging the handle has undergone over the last few months; I have worked very hard on the Inch-related stuff.

Bob: i believe u are a national contender if u compete against guys with the same bodyweight as u ....

its really important to learn properly how to perform mmsets because u have a bright future in the sport of GRIP:-)

your rb 210 its a joke for u if u learn the proper technique ... hurry up there's no time to loose:-)))

Great rolling thunder lifts! Hope they assist in you quest for the inch. Im sure doing any thick bar work should help in one way or another.

take care

Tom

I'm gonna join in and say the same as the above fellas! That is some impressive RT lifting Bob!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Teemu. While you are light-years ahead of me on crush, I think we are similar grip-strength-wise in a lot of ways. We're about the same in wrist curls and RT. I may be a bit ahead of you on pinch, but I believe your hands are smaller (which affects RT as well)-I'm guessing you'd equal me on the Euro. I'm still at the beginning level with sledge work as I'm being careful with my elbows, not sure how we compare in that regard.
Temmu made a good point.

Thanks Hugo, you are right on both counts, good call.
It should be fun Rex, but I'm more intrigued by how much I will pull in the regular RT lift w/ the new handle.

Sunday 6/22/08

Felt a bit stale and BW went down to 166, so the only thing I'd done since Wed. was one hour of Yoga on Thurs. RH had been getting a little cramp-like pain in my palm (not much), so I thought it would be a good idea to rest a few days.

Started with 1HDL broke ground but didn't complete 255 LH and 275 RH (barely broke ground). Balance due to hand placement is now a problem due to the heaviness of the weights; I may need to put a thin piece of duct tape or other marking in the center so I don't lift it tilted.

After bombing on the 1HDL, thought I was in for a tough day, but surprised myself a bit.

Rolling Thunder:

187x10 attempts RH; 4 attempts LH.

222 Rolling Thunder attempt still pic <click here>.

I was pleased with my RT work and hope it helps with the Inch.

Inch DB Mini tramp work: 2 sets of 2 attempts from bottom of ROM (pulled almost to knees w/ no bounce RH) and 2 attempts with feet on ground each hand. Followed with 2 sets of two attempted holds at top and bottom and finished with 2 sets of two attempted "overcrushes" with OH assistance. Will do RT first for a while and see if it helps.

Hello Bob,

That is really great Rolling Thunder lifting you are doing - I think that you could get up to 250lbs, and at that point I would say that you would arguably be the best Rolling Thunder lifter in the world! bar none!

I am VERY, VERY impressed.

My best wishes,

Laine

Edited by LAINE SNOOK

amazing RT pulls, especially taking your BW into account. Most 270lb guys i know cannot pull close to 220lbs on the RT.

Bob: i believe u are a national contender if u compete against guys with the same bodyweight as u ....

its really important to learn properly how to perform mmsets because u have a bright future in the sport of GRIP:-)

your rb 210 its a joke for u if u learn the proper technique ... hurry up there's no time to loose:-)))

Thanks Hugo, nockowt1, and Arturo, I appreciate your encouragement.

Hugo, I don't think I can make any claims other than that I've improved on the RT. The only fair comparison is in competition on the same day with the same implement. We don't have BW divisions yet, so that is a moot point for now, but thanks. I'm not worried about my placing this year in the GGC (US championship in August) as I'm all-but-guaranteed to be at or near the bottom due to my complete lack of training for grippers or bending at this juncture. No big deal, just paying my dues for the future.

Great rolling thunder lifts! Hope they assist in you quest for the inch. Im sure doing any thick bar work should help in one way or another.

take care

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll be doing the RT before doing pulls off the mini-tramp with the Inch in my training for a while, and then will do some more fresh test lifts with the Inch at a later time.
amazing RT pulls, especially taking your BW into account. Most 270lb guys i know cannot pull close to 220lbs on the RT.
Thanks Sam, I love trying to compete with the bigger (and usually younger except for Climber) guys.
Hello Bob,

That is really great Rolling Thunder lifting you are doing - I think that you could get up to 250lbs, and at that point I would say that you would arguably be the best Rolling Thunder lifter in the world! bar none!

I am VERY, VERY impressed.

My best wishes,

Laine

Thanks Laine, I really appreciate your kind words and hope I meet or exceed your expectations. For someone of your strength, accomplishments and expertise to say that means more than you will ever know. I truly hope we can meet one day.

I feel I can at least hold my own if I can continue to improve; still need to be tested in competition on the RT.

Wed 6/27/08

OH Press 115x5x5x5 (no pain)

Blobbing attempts with 50.

Some levering work (not doing so well w/ this)

Thursday 6/26/08

1 hour yoga.

Extensor work

Pinch Play, including the following:

Suffice to say this was done in response to Eaton's teasing re: my weak LH!

Edited by odin

Great work on the RT Bob! :rock That's incredible considering your weight. I really want to try that device out myself someday soon.

Odin,

just got done reading about the Sorinex get together. . . . . pure sweetness man. Sounds like you put on one hell of a showing. . . . I expected nothing less from you. Great job!!! :rock

• 2 weeks later...
Odin,

just got done reading about the Sorinex get together. . . . . pure sweetness man. Sounds like you put on one hell of a showing. . . . I expected nothing less from you. Great job!!! :rock

Thanks Casey, it was pure sweetness, exactly right, a great experience, the best. Keep up the crazy-strong hubbing, hope to meet you someday.

Gumpster, thanks, and I believe you might give me a run for the money on the RT with a little experience.

I took an eight-day rest after my Sorinex trip and my aches and pains have diminished in L shoulder and L thumb. I did lose three pounds, but expect to gain it back and more soon.

7/7/08

DO DL: 255x3 reps| 305x5 reps (felt twinge in hamstring, but finished pretty easily).

Rolling Thunder: 187 lbs. x2 reps each hand| 207x1 RH (easy)x0 LH|227 lbs.x dropped on descent RH.

Edited by odin

Great job on the RT!! :rock Your massive RT numbers should also help with the Axle! Did You see improvement on the Axle lately? With those RT numbers You should be good for 350-375! :rock

Very strong! You'll get it next time!

Thanks tja, if you watch the video, it slips out of my hand well into the descent. I hope to be alert for that next time. On the plus side, listening to the plates crash in slow motion is very cool.

Great job on the RT!! :rock Your massive RT numbers should also help with the Axle! Did You see improvement on the Axle lately? With those RT numbers You should be good for 350-375! :rock
I appreciate the kind words Burkhard. Very interesting idea. I've been slowly building up my DO DL and would like to get over double BW on the axle this year. I think 350 or more is a respectable lift for most anyone; the big guys in contests seem to often be clustered between 350-400 or so.

I don't have an axle yet, that will likely be my next grip-related purchase. My open-hand strength is good enough that I don't think there will be much difference between my DO DL #s with an Oly bar and an Axle, especially once I get one to train with. Maybe I can use two RTs at the same time loaded up with 25 lb. and smaller plates to approximate it, don't know if that would work or not.

7/9/08

Raining, 72F

Palms are sore on the R&P side, probably from Rolling Thunder.

Did six 10s plate pinching practice and Blob work. Started with 5 10s and held at top for about eight seconds RH and six seconds LH.

Worked some with the Blob, but felt rusty and not "dialed in" at all.

Couldn't break the six dimes off the ground using three lb. pipe to hold them together, but could do it with finger touch LH.

Did some six dime lifts with no pipe and finger touch RH, and some rather hurried negatives. Plates may be too sharp, slight skin tear just under first thumb joint.

Edited by odin