Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Rex, I do have Dinosaur Training. I also have Starting Strength and Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe and The Complete Keys to Progress by John McCallum.

I deadlifted 405 (I believe DO) @ a BW of 161-162 when i was in my early 20s without too much training for it, just wanted to see if I could do it. Thanks for the form feedback; I learned some about DL form from reading the Rippetoe book and from what Scott George told me; I must have improved somewhat because Scott said I had "grip guy form" when I tried his axle.

I did 303 @ on the axle at Chris Rice's Gripmas Carol contest a BW of 157-158 w/ very little DL training, think I gained the strength from Inch work.

I have been doing the "Asian/Third World Squat" whenever I get a chance to help me approximate the proper squat positioning. I think front squats are a much better fit for my body type, but will do regular squats in the future if I can do them correctly because they have so many benefits. I've read the "Super Squats" book.

Heh. You've read far more than I have. I should have been less presumptuous.

405@161 is very good for a beginner.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Nice lifting there Bob! You're starting to look the part of someone who lifts heavy things. :D

Thanks Gumpster, I still feel pretty skinny but can see an improvement. My wife is good about making me eat.

Odin, embrace the skinny !!!!

Odin,

I think that the pull you did when you were tired was so good because you didn't have the energy to RIP the weight from the ground. I believe that you have to be nice to the Inch at the start of the pull - all you need to do is fight the spin in a CONTROLLED manner, when the Inch comes off the ground and the spin has gone you can accelerate the beast.

When you set up for your lift, try opening your hand and pushing your palm as far into the handle as you can - then close your hand. Take a neutral grip, if you "wind up" against the spin you are only going to encourage the Dumbbell to spin - if you hold the Dumbbell in the same place that it is in when it is airbourne it won't spin anywhere near as much. Remember it will only spin if you let it. YOU ARE IT'S MASTER - DON'T SHOW IT ANY RESPECT!

I have watched your video's on many occasions, I have them saved on my computer - you are really close to a full Deadlift with the Inch, it's ALL in the start - be nice at the start and then get real nasty.

Best of luck - I'll be thinking of you.

Laine

Rex, I do have Dinosaur Training. I also have Starting Strength and Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe and The Complete Keys to Progress by John McCallum.

I deadlifted 405 (I believe DO) @ a BW of 161-162 when i was in my early 20s without too much training for it, just wanted to see if I could do it. Thanks for the form feedback; I learned some about DL form from reading the Rippetoe book and from what Scott George told me; I must have improved somewhat because Scott said I had "grip guy form" when I tried his axle.

I did 303 @ on the axle at Chris Rice's Gripmas Carol contest a BW of 157-158 w/ very little DL training, think I gained the strength from Inch work.

I have been doing the "Asian/Third World Squat" whenever I get a chance to help me approximate the proper squat positioning. I think front squats are a much better fit for my body type, but will do regular squats in the future if I can do them correctly because they have so many benefits. I've read the "Super Squats" book.

Heh. You've read far more than I have. I should have been less presumptuous.

405@161 is very good for a beginner.

Rex, I wasn't a total beginner, I'd been lifting weights for a year or 2. I don't remember how long I worked at DL to get 405, but it was probably less than 3 months. I had worked up to doing sets of 20 up to around 245 or 250 and just decided to max out one day.

My DL form needs work as I tend to round my back and not get low enough (I know you're not supposed to "squat" the weight up during a DL, but think I should go lower at the start). I think once I get into front squats and find some way to build up my hamstrings and perhaps get a GHR machine and continue to improve my flexibility, I might get some pretty good DLs. I will have to consider the risk/reward benefits of doing much more with the Oly bar than I can with the Axle; doubt I'll ever even try the reversed grip, DO works fine for me.

I still remember seeing a rat run across the floor during the middle of my lift. It was in the basement of the TAC racquetball center In Grand Forks, ND. The gym started off in an old concrete-floored basement; I was mad when they moved it upstairs with a bunch of machines in a "nice" carpeted area. I was more comfortable in the "dungeon".

Nice lifting there Bob! You're starting to look the part of someone who lifts heavy things. :D

Thanks Gumpster, I still feel pretty skinny but can see an improvement. My wife is good about making me eat.

Odin, embrace the skinny !!!!

Casey, as long as I'm stronger than I look-but I'd like to get stronger and if gaining weight helps, I'll do it. You might be the skinniest guy in US contests if I keep gaining weight, was up to 166 this morning.

Odin,

I think that the pull you did when you were tired was so good because you didn't have the energy to RIP the weight from the ground. I believe that you have to be nice to the Inch at the start of the pull - all you need to do is fight the spin in a CONTROLLED manner, when the Inch comes off the ground and the spin has gone you can accelerate the beast.

When you set up for your lift, try opening your hand and pushing your palm as far into the handle as you can - then close your hand. Take a neutral grip, if you "wind up" against the spin you are only going to encourage the Dumbbell to spin - if you hold the Dumbbell in the same place that it is in when it is airbourne it won't spin anywhere near as much. Remember it will only spin if you let it. YOU ARE IT'S MASTER - DON'T SHOW IT ANY RESPECT!

I have watched your video's on many occasions, I have them saved on my computer - you are really close to a full Deadlift with the Inch, it's ALL in the start - be nice at the start and then get real nasty.

Best of luck - I'll be thinking of you.

Laine

Laine, thanks for your support and your thoughtful advice. I never would have guessed you'd be interested in following my progress, especially given your level of achievement-thought mostly skinny guys would take notice.

When I've tried to pull the Inch slowly in the past, nothing much happened. Also, my best pulls have involved some "wind up", it felt weird in the past to try the neutral wrist position, felt like gravity was even more against me than usual as it felt like it was intensifying the pulling the weight through the gap between my thumb and fingers. I'm going to try some pulls off the mini-tramp tomorrow and experiment with hand position and speed of pull; thanks for the feedback! What you say makes a lot of sense, hope I can implement it.

Maybe if I can just slow down the start a little bit...

Fantastic one hand deadlift Bob :rock you keep getting stronger and stronger

Mark

Thanks Mark! I hope to improve; Eaton is way ahead of me now without any real training.

Saturday 5/17/08 (with Anson)

Front Squats 100 lbs, about 5 sets plus some with chains, Anson suggested a wider stance, said I was good otherwise.

Axle DO DL: 275 lbs.x1 rep| 310 lbs.x1rep| 330x0 (broke ground, probably tired from DLs on Wed, just 3 days before-rounded back, poor form, legs probably wasted).

Pinch: Blob + 52.5 hex

Tuesday 5/21/08: Did lots of pinch work because I was frustrated with my initial efforts. I also did some 3/4" pinch work for the very first time, but noticed that width is really hard on my L thumb, which has hurt since the first time I tried the Inch, but mostly only when I put pressure when turning a key or squeezing something thin-it also hurt a little the other day when I tried the Axle. It doesn't hurt during wide pinch/Blob work. The pain ends very soon after I stop doing whatever is irritating it. It hurts more when I apply pressure while it is straight then when it is bent. I'll get it checked out next time I go to the doctor.

Most effort was with mini-tramp work using the Blob and 52.5 Hex. Have not been strong on pinch since I started my whole-body work.

Thursday 5/22/08

Yoga: 1 hour

Wrist Curls: 115 lbs.x5 reps|145 lbs.x11 reps|165 lbs.x7 reps

Plate Curls: RH 25 lbs.x13 reps 25+6.25 in platemates on far endx1rep. LH: did a few full reps, mostly assisted reps due to L thumb pain.

Nothing really special this week. I needed some rest after doing DL 2x in 4 days and have had some shoulder pain since doing dips last week, apparently the setup was too wide (which tends to irritate my shoulders). I will do some OH presses soon as it is feeling 90% better now. Tomorrow will likely be some Inch pulls off the mini-tramp.

Edited by odin

Rex, I wasn't a total beginner, I'd been lifting weights for a year or 2. I don't remember how long I worked at DL to get 405, but it was probably less than 3 months. I had worked up to doing sets of 20 up to around 245 or 250 and just decided to max out one day.

My DL form needs work as I tend to round my back and not get low enough (I know you're not supposed to "squat" the weight up during a DL, but think I should go lower at the start). I think once I get into front squats and find some way to build up my hamstrings and perhaps get a GHR machine and continue to improve my flexibility, I might get some pretty good DLs. I will have to consider the risk/reward benefits of doing much more with the Oly bar than I can with the Axle; doubt I'll ever even try the reversed grip, DO works fine for me.

I still remember seeing a rat run across the floor during the middle of my lift. It was in the basement of the TAC racquetball center In Grand Forks, ND. The gym started off in an old concrete-floored basement; I was mad when they moved it upstairs with a bunch of machines in a "nice" carpeted area. I was more comfortable in the "dungeon".

Seems we're both starting to do front squats to improve our DL's. I started them last week. I do them belt-less to improve core strength. First time ever doing them. I'll keep an eye on how much they help you.

Dungeons are always better. I'd take rats over soccer moms any day of the week.

Bob,

I noticed on the one deadlift vidoe that your starting the pull with your elbows bent. You sort of snapped them as you come up. This will rob you of some power and can cause trouble if your not careful. Have the loan engaged with long arms before you really start moving. Eric Cressy had an article on trouble shooting the deadlift. You can find it on his website. He said that you can cause a lot of elbow problems by snapping them like that.

Brent

Seems we're both starting to do front squats to improve our DL's. I started them last week. I do them belt-less to improve core strength. First time ever doing them. I'll keep an eye on how much they help you.

Ditto and amen Rex!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I don't have a belt. What would be an "advanced" (not elite) weight for me to shoot for at my BW on the FS? I believe I did around 225 when i was your age, but also remember some mid back (rhomboid or intercostal?) pain at least once when i went heavier.

Ditto and amen Rex!

I obviously agree with both of you about dungeons and rats, but best of all is working out at home. Not dealing with the knuckleheads curling in the power rack, leaving weights on the bar and dropping dumbbells on the floor out of laziness is great. Being able to use chalk is priceless.

Dips are a dangerous exercise for your shoulders... No doubt about that.

I've never had a problem when the bars were less than 2 feet apart (my favorite width was the ones they used to have attached to the back of the seat on the Universal Gym's leg press, i think they were around 18-20 inches). Bench presses are much worse for me, can only do them reverse grip w/o pain.

Bob,

I noticed on the one deadlift vidoe that your starting the pull with your elbows bent. You sort of snapped them as you come up. This will rob you of some power and can cause trouble if your not careful. Have the loan engaged with long arms before you really start moving. Eric Cressy had an article on trouble shooting the deadlift. You can find it on his website. He said that you can cause a lot of elbow problems by snapping them like that.

Brent

Thank you for the great feedback Brent! That was the first time I ever videotaped my DL. I've been wondering how I can get my hips lower and still keep my arms straight. I appreciate your concern as I would like to avoid injuries. I will google the article(s). Thanks also for suggesting Muscle Milk, it seems to be working well.

Inch Work

Did some Inch-related work on Saturday and Monday.

Saturday 5/24/08

BW:166.0 (I think I will be pretty close to my 170 end-of-August goal, I haven't been doing anything radical, just trying to up protein a bit, especially right after workouts).

Did several Inch pulls from mini-tramp: pulled a couple around knee high with no downward bounce, the weight of the DB against the mini-tramp springs does provide some assistance in starting the weight up.

I did some experimentation with different hand placement. Found that I do better using some wrist vs. a pinching/neutral wrist position. Logically and strategically the "pinch the Inch" strategy seems wiser, but my first attempts using it were less than promising. I will continue to do some work using both styles of lift as I think there are benefits to be gleaned from both.

Finished with some mini-tramp bounces and attempted holds at bottom and top of ROM. Felt a little weak today, but fought hard.

Monday 5/26/08

Did 4 sets that involved two attempted pulls from the ground with each hand followed by 3-5 pulls using my other hand for assistance, attempting to let go earlier, while providing the minimum assistance needed for a full lift. I noticed that I was doing better than the last time I tried this earlier in the year. I will continue doing this type of pull in addition to the mini-tramp work. It feels harder on the body overall, but I think it works the pull in a slightly different way as I am able to control when the assistance stops in a different manner.

Next, I did two sets of mini-tramp bounces and attempted holds at bottom and top of ROM.

I need some more isometric work, so I finished with two sets of two assisted holds at the top and bottom of the ROM. I used my other hand to hold the side of the Inch DB as I concentrated on "overcrushing" it for 3-5 seconds (was usually less than I planned after I looked at the video, it feels like you are holding it longer). I feel that i have developed the ability to get the weight off the ground, so as I develop the ability to apply the correct amount of squeeze for longer periods I should continue to get closer to a full DL.

Edited by odin

"and dropping dumbbells on the floor out of laziness is great. Being able to use chalk is priceless."

exactly. nothing is more aggravating to me than dropping weights. unless your in danger, or injured-- if you can't handle the weight, then don't do it. as far as chalk goes, it sucks when sweat keeps ya from getting a lift from slick hands.

looking good man, and enjoy reading your blog as well. keep it coming

"and dropping dumbbells on the floor out of laziness is great. Being able to use chalk is priceless."

exactly. nothing is more aggravating to me than dropping weights. unless your in danger, or injured-- if you can't handle the weight, then don't do it. as far as chalk goes, it sucks when sweat keeps ya from getting a lift from slick hands.

looking good man, and enjoy reading your blog as well. keep it coming

Thanks T-Dog, glad you enjoy my log. I like yours also and missed your posts during your convalescence.

It's amazing how much better I like training at home, even though I'm outside in the elements in inclement weather at times (will probably get some kind of canopy soon), it is much better than any gym and dealing with all the knuckleheads. The only fun part is seeing their expressions when I do wrist curls with their bench press weights.

5/28/08

I have been extra-hungry to lift the Inch lately, so I guess I'm in a brief Inch KTA mode. Started with 2 sets of 2 Inch attempts from the ground, nothing too special.

Had the idea of using a weight bench as a platform to pull the Inch. Tried putting some concrete blocks under my feet as it felt awkward/too high, but it still felt awkward. It did work pretty well for overcrushes/assisted holds, so I did a few sets. Upper back and hands both felt pretty hammered afterwards. I'll keep trying to find some type of platform work that helps.

My L shoulder has been messed up ever since I did dips with bars that were a little too far apart a few weeks ago. Even if I can't do any shoulder-related upper body work, I'll continue to do deadlifts and front squats, that should help me keep packing on weight.

I believe looking at video and individual frames is a great help in training. With the Inch it helps me see progress more easily, otherwise I might feel like I was stuck at exactly the same level for an extended periods when I am in fact progressing at least a little bit each month. I understand why many quit training for it, it feels like you are lifting it an inch or two over and over, workout after workout-and that is discouraging, no doubt. Fortunately, I know I'm slowly getting closer and one day my timing and grip will be perfect and I will shock myself and stand all the way up. It might be next month, a year from now, or several years from now, but I have faith it will happen. Just trying to hang on to the beast has to be great for hand strength, so it is a worthy pursuit.

With the DO DL posting the video allowed me to get feedback that may help me avoid unnecessary injury and also helped me realize that I may need to think about getting a GHR machine or doing good mornings or some other type of hamstring/glute/lower back exercises along with continuing yoga/flexibility work.

5/29/08

OH Press 125 lbs.x2 reps L shoulder still dinged, but wanted to see how it felt, will need to do a few weeks of rotator cuff work.

Pinch: Did lots of 50 lb. blob work. mostly negatives and finger-touch lifts. Broke ground LH David Horne style for the first time(last three fingers and thumb).

6/1/08

DO Deadlift: 285x5 reps <click here for video> felt easier, tried to follow feedback given by Brent Barbe to avoid bending elbows and Chris Mathison to get lower at the start. Thanks guys! Let me know if you see improvement and any other constructive feedback is welcome as always.

|275x0

Rolling Thunder (I'll estimate the loading pin+handle+carabiner @ ~7 lbs.): 167 lbs.x16 attempts RH x16 attempts LH over a rest-pause period, was gassed| 172 lbs.x10 attempts RHx12 attempts <click here for video> LH (not sure how LH won out, but rested a bit between RH & LH and didn't pause until I completed all the reps with one hand ).

My L shoulder has been messed up ever since I did dips with bars that were a little too far apart a few weeks ago. Even if I can't do any shoulder-related upper body work, I'll continue to do deadlifts and front squats, that should help me keep packing on weight.

Same thing happened to me years ago Bob. My R shoulder still isn't right now and i can't do dips of any sort these days or any sort of wide benching, i went to the physio and see what he reckons is wrong. He said to me my RC was ok he thinks it is my AC joint but isn't 100% sure. I'd go get it checked out.

All the best with recovery.

Great lifts Odin, especially the 1HDL. As for your DO DL's: if you're training this for AA improvement vs. lowback exercise, you might want to switch to sumo. Seems like a lot of the grip guys pull sumo on the axle, Ryan Klein being the exception, not sure about Dave T.

I used to dip heavy and jacked up my shoulder too. I was using bars that were too wide and going too deep. I'm sure some of the purists will get in a tizzy over the too deep statement but all the way down with added weight puts a ton of stress on that AC joint. You used to be able to see mine stick up through a tight t-shirt when it was really inflamed. Once I switched narrower handles and didn't go as deep a lot of my AC pain disappeared.

Good workout, man. I wouldn't worry too much about the shoulder and the inability to do upper body work. Just keep your T-levels high with squats and DL's and you're upper body won't have any trouble catching up when you're ready to train again. I think you still need to look up at the start of your DL's rather than down/straight ahead, and drop your butt a bit more. Some guys can get away with the way you're doing them, but you might want to err on the side of caution at this point.

Same thing happened to me years ago Bob. My R shoulder still isn't right now and i can't do dips of any sort these days or any sort of wide benching, i went to the physio and see what he reckons is wrong. He said to me my RC was ok he thinks it is my AC joint but isn't 100% sure. I'd go get it checked out.

All the best with recovery.

Thanks Sam. It is feeling better every day, have been doing some rehab as I know the drill from past experience. I need to get my L shoulder, elbow and thumb all checked out next time I go to the Dr. I hope you can get yours diagnosed and corrected as well, especially since you're interested in strongman.

Great lifts Odin, especially the 1HDL. As for your DO DL's: if you're training this for AA improvement vs. lowback exercise, you might want to switch to sumo. Seems like a lot of the grip guys pull sumo on the axle, Ryan Klein being the exception, not sure about Dave T.

I used to dip heavy and jacked up my shoulder too. I was using bars that were too wide and going too deep. I'm sure some of the purists will get in a tizzy over the too deep statement but all the way down with added weight puts a ton of stress on that AC joint. You used to be able to see mine stick up through a tight t-shirt when it was really inflamed. Once I switched narrower handles and didn't go as deep a lot of my AC pain disappeared.

Thanks Josh, I'm doing DL to build my overall strength and gain weight. I've read about Sumo style, but think I'm built more for regular DL. I may pull some Sumo to make my hips stronger (think that helps you from pulling with mostly lower-back strength) and perhaps one day it will be useful for axle due to the substantially decreased ROM.

I like going down really low on dips, I used to touch my neck to the bar but don't go anywhere near that low anymore (my upper body is very flexible, lower is very tight).

I don't understand why the bars are always so far apart, most of the 300+-pound folks they are apparently catering to avoid dips, so skinny and normal size folks have to take their chances or get their own dip bars. I've also seen ones that are more triangle shaped to accommodate different size folks, but that angle felt horrid as well. I won't make the "wide dips" mistake again. I love the old Universal Gyms dip bars on the back of the leg press machine. I hope your AC joint keeps improving.

Good workout, man. I wouldn't worry too much about the shoulder and the inability to do upper body work. Just keep your T-levels high with squats and DL's and you're upper body won't have any trouble catching up when you're ready to train again. I think you still need to look up at the start of your DL's rather than down/straight ahead, and drop your butt a bit more. Some guys can get away with the way you're doing them, but you might want to err on the side of caution at this point.

I appreciate your feedback Natural. I'm planning to be doing exactly what you suggested re: squats and DL (except using front squats). I'll go back and re-read the DL articles Brent suggested. I do remember that you're not supposed to "squat" the weight up (one website said "what is easier, a full squat or partial one?). I thought I was focusing my eyes slightly upward or straight ahead at worst, will re-check that, thanks man. I am having some difficulty keeping my lower back in the correct position, but noticed a little improvement.

6/3/08

Hot, muggy, oppressive evening; felt lazy and slow, but remembered Jedd Johnson saying something about how the difference is made by how hard you fight during your less-than-stellar workouts. I knew I needed to get some leg work in and was determined to do something. Cut grass and did some yardwork between sets, weeds are crazy in this part of the US.

Front Squats: 115 lbs.x3 reps|125 lbs.x3reps|125 lbs.x3reps|125 lbs.x3reps|

Heels on 5 lb. plates. Form felt pretty good, bar in racked position, may need to get elbows a little higher before i get up to using heavy weights, but feels ok now and wrists are apparently plenty flexible.

6/4/08

BW: 168

Tried some new (for me) exercises; trying to work some muscles to help w/ DL. Kept the weights light so I'm not too sore to move tomorrow.

SLDL: 95 lbs.x12repsx12repsx12reps

Pullthroughs: 70 lbs.x10repsx10repsx10reps

Kneeling Squats: Oly Bar onlyx12repsx12repsx12reps

tried Good Mornings, but hurt injured shoulder too much standing with the bar in squat position and moving.

Pinch:

Lots of Blob work. Have "Blob Burn" on thumbs. Some improvement, mostly from will.

Narrow Pinch (3/4 inch). L thumb injury felt slightly better for the first time in about 8 months.

Narrow Pinch (3/4 inch). L thumb injury felt slightly better for the first time in about 8 months.

One or two handed? Do You still train for the 2x45 plates? I'm trying to do a double lift in the next months.

One or two handed? Do You still train for the 2x45 plates? I'm trying to do a double lift in the next months.

Two-handed. I haven't been specifically training for 2x45 lately, think I need to get my 2HP up higher for contests. Good luck on your double lift Burkhard. I saw your name on the Blob list btw, but haven't seen a thread or video, that'd be cool and congrats! :rock :rock :rock

6/5/08

1 hour Yoga. "Posterior chain" exercises from the other day must have fatigued me, teacher kept reminding me to maintain correct lower back position more often than usual (class is small).

wrist curl: 135 lbs.x5 rep|165 lbs.x5 reps|170 lbs.x5 reps

plate wrist curl: 25 lbs.x5 reps BH (L thumb seems a bit better again) just missed 25 lbs.+7.5 lbs. in platemates on far end RH.

Thumbs still "hot" from blob work.

6/7/08

97F

Did a couple Inch attempts from the ground. didn't feel too great, so moved to the mini-tramp.

Mini-tramp: Two sets of two attempts standing on the tramp, with no bounce RH (pulled a couple past knees) and small bounce LH.

Mini-tramp: Two sets of two attempts standing on the ground, with no bounce RH (pulled a couple near the top of ROM, but didn't fully stop rotation) and small bounce LH.

OH Assist Pulls from ground: Did 3 sets of 3-5 attempts.

Rolling Thunder: 177 lbs.x15 attempts RH (very aggressive, attacking mode), 4 attempts LH |182x9 attempts RH, 3 attempts LH|187x3 attempts RH, 0 LH|187x3 attempts RH, 0 LH|192x1 attempt RH <click here for video>

LH poor today.

Inch Mini-tramp: two sets of two attempted holds and two sets of two OH assisted holds at bottom of ROM.

6/8/08

99F

Blob work: about 5 sets of several attempts, getting stronger.

Two-handed. I haven't been specifically training for 2x45 lately, think I need to get my 2HP up higher for contests. Good luck on your double lift Burkhard. I saw your name on the Blob list btw, but haven't seen a thread or video, that'd be cool and congrats! :rock :rock :rock

6/5/08

1 hour Yoga. "Posterior chain" exercises from the other day must have fatigued me, teacher kept reminding me to maintain correct lower back position more often than usual (class is small).

wrist curl: 135 lbs.x5 rep|165 lbs.x5 reps|170 lbs.x5 reps

plate wrist curl: 25 lbs.x5 reps BH (L thumb seems a bit better again) just missed 25 lbs.+7.5 lbs. in platemates on far end RH.

Thumbs still "hot" from blob work.

6/7/08

97F

Did a couple Inch attempts from the ground. didn't feel too great, so moved to the mini-tramp.

Mini-tramp: Two sets of two attempts standing on the tramp, with no bounce RH (pulled a couple past knees) and small bounce LH.

Mini-tramp: Two sets of two attempts standing on the ground, with no bounce RH (pulled a couple near the top of ROM, but didn't fully stop rotation) and small bounce LH.

OH Assist Pulls from ground: Did 3 sets of 3-5 attempts.

Rolling Thunder: 177 lbs.x15 attempts RH (very aggressive, attacking mode), 4 attempts LH |182x9 attempts RH, 3 attempts LH|187x3 attempts RH, 0 LH|187x3 attempts RH, 0 LH|192x1 attempt RH <click here for video>

LH poor today.

Inch Mini-tramp: two sets of two attempted holds and two sets of two OH assisted holds at bottom of ROM.

6/8/08

99F

Blob work: about 5 sets of several attempts, getting stronger.

Well done Odin - keep up the good work.

Rolling Thunder numbers look good, what have you done for a single?

Best wishes,

Laine

way late here, but was reading about your job throwing bags at the beet plants...

My first job was shoveling out the beet plenems, and the first plant we did was the EGF plant in MN, haha. What made me click on your Journey was the fact it was labeled "Odins Grip Journey" My sister just named her boy Anders Odin. haha cool.

Nice work so far man, keep it up.

Well done Odin - keep up the good work.

Rolling Thunder numbers look good, what have you done for a single?

Best wishes,

Laine

Thanks for your kind words Laine, I haven't totally maxed out yet, will do so next weekend most likely. I'm guessing 202-212 at this point. I might order a new handle to see how much difference there is (and so I can do RT pullups), but this one spins pretty freely and I've been keeping it graphite-treated. Training the Inch hard immediately before probably helps keep the #s from being too inflated. How much difference did you have between your 12-rep and 1-rep max weights; did they follow the typical strength model (I'm guessing 1-rep maxes were lower than predicted)?

Nice work on the rolling thunder. Do you normally train it with high reps?

Thanks nockowt1, I've been training with the Inch Dumbbell, but haven't done any Rolling Thunder work until recently. I believe I maxed out around 176-177 lbs. right before I started with the Inch about 8 months ago; I just did that same amount for 15 reps on Saturday after some hard Inch work (my BW is up ~11 pounds since then, so I'm sure that helps). I've done 4 workouts using the RT since 4/29 and am using high reps for the most part (Laine Snook recommends two sets of 12 reps I believe), although I pushed it a bit last weekend. I used to estimate the handle, Olympic loading pin and carabiner as 6 lbs., have been told it's 8-so I'll be guessing 7 lbs. now until I find a more definitive answer (it doesn't really matter until I calibrate my plates anyway-and then only to me I'm sure :) ).

way late here, but was reading about your job throwing bags at the beet plants...

My first job was shoveling out the beet plenems, and the first plant we did was the EGF plant in MN, haha. What made me click on your Journey was the fact it was labeled "Odins Grip Journey" My sister just named her boy Anders Odin. haha cool.

Nice work so far man, keep it up.

Thanks LiftBig315! That's pretty cool that you worked some in the beet factory as well. I think lifting and stacking so many 100 lb. bags of sugar there helped develop my grip. Sometimes we had to rapidly stack them in boxcars from the assembly line or from pallets carried by forklifts when it was -40F or worse; that job inspired me to finish college. They were testing an automated bag palletizer at the time I left.

That's interesting about your sister's boy, my late father used to say he considered naming me Ole Peter or Odin. My cat's name is Odin and my last name is Sundin.

6/9/08

Wrist Curls: 135x5 reps|175x3 reps|175x2 reps (felt weak and kept tilting the bar to the right-do you ever have those days when WC feel "wrong"?

Plate Wrist Curls: 25 lbs.x 5 reps| 25 lbs.+7.5 lbs. in platemates on far end x1 pretty good attempt RH video

|25 lbs.+10 lbs. in platemates/magnets on far end x0 rep RH (got to parallel, couldn't finish it).|

25 lbs.x 17 reps RH, 25 lbs. x5 reps LH (L thumb improving slowly, PWC used to kill it). 35 lb. plates a few attempted (OH assisted) negatives.

I would like to do the

inspired 35 lb. plate wrist curl.

Finger Curls: 225 lbs.x6 reps\265x4x3x2+4 cheat/negs.

Forgot to note in several of my workouts that I often do a few sprints to warmup and feel it may be helping with my weight gain.

Edited by odin

Tuesday, 6/10/08

Did some rotator cuff work and some very light lifts to test L shoulder (BW Chins, OH press, rows).

Shrugs: 225x5 265x5 285x5x5 305x4x4 ; last two sets were cheat/power shrugs (hurt in a good way, imagined Franco Columbo quietly telling me to work harder while Rick Walker was alternately hurling pejoratives and encouraging me-have never met either man but admire both).

Blobs: not feeling the texture tonight, chalk is getting old/low.

Titan's Telegraph Key (TTK): did partials, worked up to 47.5 and budged it slightly and then did drop sets down to 25 lbs. (using both hands at the same time, thumbs on top).

TTK is now on a desk and I attempted to get my body in a low position so my thumbs are doing most of the work, but this was easier than when I've tried it on the floor several months ago, maybe the Inch work helped both this and the RT?

May try to figure out beneficial way to do isometric hold in a way that will assist with holding on to the Inch Dumbbell.

Finished by experimenting with the cable on my power rack's lat pulldown to do thumb work, awkward, but felt good overall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/11/08

Bad thunderstorm limited workout options.

Titan's Telegraph Key (TTK): Was able to easily do 3 full reps with 25 and 37.5 lbs. Worked up to 50 and moved it slightly and then did drop sets (using both hands at the same time, thumbs on top). Was able to do a partial using 22.5 w/RH only, couldn't move 25.

Pre-exhausted thumbs w/TTK and did Blob attempts, was fun. Did some TTK sets w/light weights and really burnt out top, bottom and full ROM until cramping set in.

Finished with Blob work on mini-tramp. I really pushed it to the limit this workout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/12/08

OH Resistance Extensor Work: hit pretty hard in AM

Yoga: One Hour (Ashtanga this time).

Reverse Wrist Curl: 85 lbs.x10 reps|85 lbs.x11 reps (not really in a good groove).

Reverse Curl (thumbless): 85 lbs.x4 reps|85 lbs.x4 reps (was careful with these because I felt pain in my L shoulder last time I tried them.

Levering/Supination/Pronation: easy session.

I probably won't bend at GGC, hope to be ready by next year at this time. I have a lot of work to do.

6/14/08

DO DL: 295 lbs.x5 reps (felt really strong so I added 10 lbs. instead of 5, but groove was a little off).

I don't typically list my DL warmups, but usually they are something like I did tonight: 10 minute walk (usually follow w/ a few sprints), C & P bar several times, DO DL: 135x5| 195x3| 245x3 (sometimes I only do one rep with the last warmup, but was trying to get form better).

x0LH| 217xbroke ground RH|187x9 attempts RHx4 attempts LH|

I'm really irritated because my 212 attempt felt really good, but is tilted, didn't try to do that and didn't realize it until I checked the video. I'm not sure if I grabbed it off-center or what it is that I did to mess it up, will need to work on that.

Lifting the RT with the handle parallel to the body feels unnatural to me, I feel better doing it perpendicular (like I do with the Inch and 1H DL when I use straddle style). I feel like I can use more wrist that way and like doing my reps using that style because i feel a better connection between my mind and hand that way as well.

Didn't do 1H DL as I was toast after the RT attempts and the RT work should help the 1H DL anyway. Overall felt very strong but even more inflexible and uncoordinated than usual, have to concede that it was a good but weird workout in a way.

Edited by odin