Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Odin, catch me up. Breaking ground with +30, that seems huge. Are you killing the Inch at standard weight? Or, will you be going back to an unloaded Inch hoping to get your first full deadlift? Great work all around. :rock

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

I had the audacity to stop while pedestrians were obviously attempting to cross a clearly marked crosswalk at a university. Paid the price for failing to intimidate them into retreating while hiding behind the seeming anonymity of a couple tons of metal like most people do.

People who won't stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk kind of burns me. I stopped for an old lady today and she almost got killed by a tour bus blowing through the other way. Where I work we have two buildings, one across a busy street from the other, and I'll stand in the pouring rain with a 50 lb. box while a dozen cars go by. At least I practice what I preach...anyone rear ends me their insurance can buy me a new bumper. :D

Matt, I agree. I try to refrain from giving culprits' rear quarter panel a good hard slap when they don't yield in a crosswalk, but old habits die hard :devil .

Looking good odin. Sounds like you got lucky with the auto accident. I'll be interested to see how you do when you try it unloaded again. I'm doing something similar with my #3 - working with it in a choker for about a month then I'll try it without. Hope we both see some progress. :)
Thanks Gumpster, I saw you close it on youtube, good work!
Hope your ok from the wreck man nice work on the inch wow. :rock

big nasty, It wasn't too bad of a wreck; just a baseball-sized hole in the rear bumper. Thanks for the nice compliment.

Odin, catch me up. Breaking ground with +30, that seems huge. Are you killing the Inch at standard weight? Or, will you be going back to an unloaded Inch hoping to get your first full deadlift? Great work all around. :rock

Matt, I haven't tried the Inch "unloaded" in 2008.

My best unloaded lifts in 2007 were around ankle high. I have at least parts of all of my full Inch workouts this year on video in my youtube account.

I'm just doing it "loaded" for training variety and because I've found that stopping the rotation at the same time as the Inch leaves the ground is difficult and feels quite weird to me-so (perhaps this is counterintuitive to most?) I decided to increase the effort and rotation by adding weight on both the outside and the thumb side of each bell to make my thumb/wrist/fingertips stronger. I'm hoping this translates into improved ability to stop the rotation when I pull the Inch "unloaded".

I think that breaking something off the ground means you have some hope re: lifting the same amount to a full DL with further training, so why not try to see how much weight you can break off the ground? It's a fun challenge to see what I can break off the ground-I do it because I can and I enjoy increasing the weight. This is just a phase of my training; we'll see if it was successful or not in a few weeks.

I've gotten some PMs saying adding weight is a "waste of time". It's fine to believe that and would probably be correct if that was all I did. Even if it is a "waste of time" as far as DLing the Inch, it is a great grip workout and certainly is making my hands stronger.

The training regimen I am currently using involves the following:

1. Loading the Inch with an increasing amount of weight each workout and attempting to break it off the ground for the reasons described above.

2. Doing rotation-stopper lifts using minimal (and hopefully decreasing over time) other-hand assistance to do full-range lifts. I am currently adding 10 lbs. for this style of lift.

3. I'm also spending plenty of attempts moving the "loaded" Inch through the full ROM by doing bounces/negatives using the mini-tramp (attempting to hold it at the top as long as possible).

4. I also use the mini-tramp for "loaded" Inch partial-range movements (top and bottom of ROM), including just pulling it a short distance from the mini-tramp and fighting the rotation as hard as I can.

5. I do a variety of adjunctive movements (wrist roller, wrist work, pinch) that I've described in previous posts and include as time/energy permits.

The Inch is my #1 goal, so I'm not worried that it nukes most of my other grip/forearm work for several days afterwards. I will do two more loaded workouts in March and then begin a phase focusing on "unloaded pulls" from the ground and will add other components as I see fit and that keep me interested. I will write some type of evaluation if possible before I embark on the next phase of my training. This may take years, or it may fly up next time I try it unloaded-who knows?

Edited by odin

2/22/08

BW: 162.2 lbs.

OH resistance + IM Band extensor work

1 hour of yoga

Pullups: BWx11 reps

Parallel Grip Pullups:BWx11 reps

Chins: BWx11 reps

Form was still not perfect; think I need to add weight as I find high reps less satisfying; just like walking or jogging is less fun than sprinting for me. Felt no need to add reps, as my BW is increasing fast enough to add resistance by itself and form needs work anyway.

Also did two setsx 5 reps of chins afterwards working on (exaggeratedly good) form.

Hang Cleans: 85 lbs.x 5 reps85 lbs.x 5 reps|85 lbs.x 5 reps| (tried for first time)

Bent Over Rows 110 lbs.x 5 reps|110 lbs.x 5 reps|110 lbs.x 5 reps| (set bar on ground between reps; heard this helps maintain good form, just like DLs)

Edited by odin

Good work Odin. Have you ever tried to lift the inch with tilt?

Odin, Great post. More than I was looking for :D Despite what anyone says about your method, you've certianly got a couple things dead on:

1) Plan your work and work your plan!

2) Work HARD!

You're on your way to a full INCH dead lift. It's only a matter of when it will happen. :rock

Good work Odin. Have you ever tried to lift the inch with tilt?

No, I'm afraid it would become a habit, but I can see where it could work for some.

I enjoy pinball (but can't find machines anymore), so I tend to frown on "tilting". :D

Odin, Great post. More than I was looking for :D Despite what anyone says about your method, you've certianly got a couple things dead on:

1) Plan your work and work your plan!

2) Work HARD!

You're on your way to a full INCH dead lift. It's only a matter of when it will happen. :rock

Thanks Matt! My log is here to exchange help and information; if you ask me, I'll tell you the best way I can (in person I don't talk much-go figure). :unsure

3/7/08

BW: 162.4 lbs.

Wrist Work

Wrist Curls: 135 lbs.x 21 reps| 135 lbs.x 10 reps| 135 lbs.x 7 reps

Plate Wrist Curls: 25 lbs.x 7 reps RH, 0 reps+3FR LH (messed up and couldn't find the groove)25 lbs.x 5 reps RH, 2 reps+3FR LH| 25 lbs.x 9 reps+1 FR RH (I went crazy, very inspired-pressed harder with fingers as well), 0 reps+4 FR LH|

I have a L thumb issue when direct pressure gets put on it at times get a sharp pain which essentially stops the set because the thumb reflexively pulls back)

Finger Curls: 225 lbs.x 5 reps |250lbs.x5 reps|250lbs.x4 reps|250lbs.x2 reps

Behind-the-back Wrist Curls: 225 lbs.x5 attempts|225 lbs.x5 attempts|225 lbs.x5 attempts| (will use video next time to see if the reps are full or not, first time trying this-a light bulb went off in my head-this exercise will help the top of the ROM for my regular heavy wrist curls).

Reverse Wrist Curls: 75 lbs.x17 reps|75 lbs.x14 reps|75 lbs.x12 reps

Reverse Curls (thumbless): 65 lbs.x7 reps|65 lbs.x7 reps|65 lbs.x7 reps|

Pronation & Supination: (felt pretty good)

Levering: did with caution

The Inch work the other day helped my forearm tendon; something must have been out of place (subluxation). :):cool

Edited by odin

3/9/08

BW: 162.2

Warmup: sprints (easy) and stretching

DO Deadlifts: 225x3 reps| 265x5 reps (think I was slated to pull 260 but felt extra-strong).

2/22/08

1 hour of yoga

Form was still not perfect; think I need to add weight as I find high reps less satisfying; just like walking or jogging is less fun than sprinting for me. Felt no need to add reps, as my BW is increasing fast enough to add resistance by itself and form needs work anyway.

Also did two setsx 5 reps of chins afterwards working on (exaggeratedly good) form.

Hang Cleans: 85 lbs.x 5 reps85 lbs.x 5 reps|85 lbs.x 5 reps| (tried for first time)

Bent Over Rows 110 lbs.x 5 reps|110 lbs.x 5 reps|110 lbs.x 5 reps| (set bar on ground between reps; heard this helps maintain good form, just like DLs)

added weight chin ups are the best. when i first started doing them i just strapped some weight to the waist and went till couldn't. if i was to do it again, i would have did my first workout with singles, adding weight to each one till i lost form to see my weight range. from then on, i'd do a 5/4/3/2/1/ routine or a pyramid of 5---->1 then back down, weights increasing and decreasing with the weight. don't like going past 10 reps on the chins either. no need to.

anyway, i'm glad to see your forearm is getting better, and i'm now thinking of adding some more wrist curls to my routine after seeing some of your posts, and videos. keep it up man.

if you do do an evaluation of your training for the inch, it would be something worth posting in the Articles section, not just your log.

take care man, and good lifting

Edited by T-Dog

2/22/08

1 hour of yoga

added weight chin ups are the best. when i first started doing them i just strapped some weight to the waist and went till couldn't. if i was to do it again, i would have did my first workout with singles, adding weight to each one till i lost form to see my weight range. from then on, i'd do a 5/4/3/2/1/ routine or a pyramid of 5---->1 then back down, weights increasing and decreasing with the weight. don't like going past 10 reps on the chins either. no need to.

anyway, i'm glad to see your forearm is getting better, and i'm now thinking of adding some more wrist curls to my routine after seeing some of your posts, and videos. keep it up man.

if you do do an evaluation of your training for the inch, it would be something worth posting in the Articles section, not just your log.

take care man, and good lifting

Thanks T-Dog. I'll probably add 25 lbs. to the chins/pullups next time and see what I can do. I might even do some negatives with 50+ lbs. I've noticed that you can even get a little ab work in with the chins if you keep your knees as far behind you as possible (don't swing forward or kip).

I'm not going to consider writing any Inch articles unless/until I can get a full DL. If I do another weighted Inch cycle in the future, at least part of it may be from a different height, per Climber's suggestion.

I've been working my wrists/forearms hard, trying to get them closer to my pinch as far as relative strength. Just use caution T-Dog, there are so many ways to injure your wrists, and wrist curls are a relatively risky exercise (high reward as well). Wrist roller or behind the back wrist curls may be safer and give the same or greater benefit; I just happen to enjoy wrist curls.

That chin/pullup workout quoted in T-Dog's post should have been dated 3/6 rather than 2/22 (my copy & paste-related error from last Thurs.). :blush

My mind played a trick on me yesterday. Throughout the day and at work, I visualized myself completing my DO DL goal for my evening workout, 260 lbs.x5 reps. In fact, I did it well enough mentally that I must have believed I'd already completed it, because I loaded the bar to 265 and did 5 reps before I realized what I'd done. Weird, but good.

Edited by odin

3/10/08

BW: 162.4 lbs.

Front Squats: 75 lbs.x5 reps|95 lbs.x3 reps|115 lbs.x3 reps|

Played around a bit w/ light Hise (or Kelso?) Shrugs and OH shrugs.

Tried OH squats w/ Oly bar, but noticed lower back is very tight (or slightly sprained) from DL Sunday, so stopped due to feeling of potential injury.

Pinch

Lifted Blob to full DL a few times with each hand

tried for double Blob clean but didn't get it.

missed w/ Blob+5 lbs.

pulled 3x25 plates RH but missed LH

used mini-tramp for Blob bounces/negatives w/5-15 lbs. added

avoided 2x45 plates width due to injury last time I did pinch (two weeks ago); will try next time.

Pinch feels a bit rusty, should be up to speed in a month or two. Still need to focus on wrists/forearms and of course whole

body work.

Edited by odin

odin: i really like your videos(youtube)!

u have great power and intelligence:-)

odin: i really like your videos(youtube)!

u have great power and intelligence:-)

Thanks Hugo, glad you like the videos. I've never thought of myself as having much power, but thanks.

3/13/08

BW: 163.2

Extensors IM Bands during meeting

Yoga: about 20 minutes

5 Sprints: felt fairly effortless, improving-sprinters usually are not too skinny.

Front Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps bar only with long pause at bottom to stretch. 95 lbs.x3 reps|95 lbs.x3 reps|95 lbs.x3 reps|95 lbs.x3 reps|95 lbs.x3 reps Held bar using power clean "rack" position, felt much better tonight. I'm also doing better in my attempts to assume the "Third World Squat" position.

Pinch: tried some Blobs, was weak except for one pretty good negative facelift.

2x45s: weak; did one good LH lift with finger touch.

I think doing extensors in the AM made me weaker as well as doing pinch just a few days ago; don't seem to be able to do that since I started whole body work.

Hey Odin,

Your log is really good to read. I read the third world squat article few months back. It makes a lot of sense. I managed to get down to that position comfortably first few times just balance was an issue. I was suprised since I cant even touch my toes standing up. Anyways good luck with the inch and all the other crazy feats your achieving.

Take care

Tom

PS: Your pinch is way strong

Hey Odin,

Your log is really good to read. I read the third world squat article few months back. It makes a lot of sense. I managed to get down to that position comfortably first few times just balance was an issue. I was suprised since I cant even touch my toes standing up. Anyways good luck with the inch and all the other crazy feats your achieving.

Take care

Tom

PS: Your pinch is way strong

Tom, I'm glad you like my log.

I've been doing yoga almost every week for over a year, and I still can't touch my toes on demand-it takes a bit of activity and stretching. I really didn't make any progress on my hamstrings until I started to stretch daily the last couple weeks. I've been taking the train to work and back the last few months on most days, this involves two half-mile and two 3/4 mile walks each day (often a run in the morning so i can catch the earlier train). While I'm waiting for the train, I try to get some stretching in and also during breaks at work-I'm trying to make it more of a habit that is integrated into the flow of my daily activities and not a big separate session. I touched the ground with my knees straight last night (usually I'm lucky to touch my toes or shoe tops), so progress is occurring. Sprints w/ stretching breaks seem to help as well.

That's surprising you're so good with the squat position. I've been trying to do it at least daily and progress is slow. I am able to do front squats using only the dimes under my heels now and am trying some sets with the bar only without any plates under my heels. I'm putting the bar in the power clean racked position now without pain-I'll find out when I start adding weight if I'm keeping an erect enough position. I'm also doing some OH squats with a broomstick or very light weight and trying to use it as a stretch.

With age comes enough patience to build my flexibility somewhat before I start piling on too much weight on the front squats (and to wait until I feel prepared to bend or hit grippers hard). I've decided that front squats are much more ideal than regular squats for my levers and build-but may consider them after my flexibility is better.

Thanks for the compliment on my pinch. Some days it is strong, but other days it's really weak. I don't think I'll ever understand why pinch strength fluctuates so much-a lot has to do with changes in feel of the implements, hands, temperature and humidity.

Speaking of crazy feats; I might do some Inch work tonight. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

Edited by odin

Hey Bob, glad to see you're working in some front squats, it's a great exercise. You should post a pic of your wife's third world squat- or Asian squat if you want to be politically correct- her form is beautiful. I drop into it several times a day, I'm still pretty stiff.

Hey Bob, glad to see you're working in some front squats, it's a great exercise. You should post a pic of your wife's third world squat- or Asian squat if you want to be politically correct- her form is beautiful. I drop into it several times a day, I'm still pretty stiff.

Thanks Anson. She's not offended by the term. I'll ask her do it once in a while so I can see what I'm supposed to look like and try to approximate it. She is also as strong as a wildcat, guess all that chopping wood, carrying buckets of water and cleaning fish must have helped. Pinching 3 dimes and doing a 10 lb. plate wrist curl for multiple reps are very easy for her with no training. I don't know if she'll consent to the pics though, she didn't want the 3 dimes video posted, not yet anyway.

3/14/08

Ran a few slow jogs to warmup, Achilles tendons extra tight .

Inch Overload Workout VI

Inch-Added weight with magnets

+37.5: one set one attempt: barely broke ground RH, knew better than to try it LH

+35 lbs.: one set of 2 attempts broke ground RH, rattled it LH, maybe a whisper of air.

+25 lbs.: one set of 2 attempts same or worse than last time.

+10 lbs.: one sets of 2 attempts, worse than last time)

+10 lbs.: one set of 2 OH rotation-stopper attempts, felt weak.

Mini-tramp Inch Work:

+10 lbs.: two sets of 2 attempts from bottom and 2 attempts mid-range (attempting to hold at top and fight rotation-was ok)

Just for fun I did a couple with a light bounce and no weight added because I was feeling a bit discouraged and tired-was able to pull up, stop rotation and hold for longer than ever at top-felt nice to feel rotation stop, even though DB slipped slightly from my grasp when this happened, I still held for a bit. Had to cut workout a bit short and continue the next day due to work issue that came up:

3/15/08

Ran a few slow jogs to warmup, Achilles tendons still tight.

Inch +15 and +10 lbs.: 3 sets of 2 reps; tried putting magnets so weight would roll back into hand (usually I use it to increase rotation), was able to get some good pulls (above ankles I believe) that way.

Mini-tramp Inch Work:: Raining, very hard to keep handle dry long enough to pull, so tried several "unloaded" sets, both top and bottom of ROM. Gaining much better control, able to hold longer at both top and bottom.

Will try to wait until the 26th or 29th for my last "overload" workout in this 3-month experiment. I feel like it is helping, and will do it again, but perhaps not to this extent. :D

3/16/08

BW: 163.2 lbs.

Wrist Work

Reverse Wrist Curls: 95 lbs.x3 reps|115 lbs.x3reps|125 lbs.x2reps+1 cheat||135 lbs.x3 attempts|135 lbs.x2 attempts (will look at video, think I got at least one full rep or more w/ 135)

Thug 2.4 inch Wrist Roller: tried 120 and then 105 (in plates) and got only partway-dropped to 90 and got it, apparently this is related to Inch work because i had nothing)

Wrist Curls: 135 lbs.x 21 reps| 135 lbs.x 4 reps ( didn't rest much at all, usually I rest 5-10 minutes)

Reverse Curls (thumbless): 75 lbs.x8 reps| 75 lbs.x8 reps| 75 lbs.x8 reps|

Levering: found a little better way for me to do it tonight. Started very choked up on the handle, did a couple reps, rested, moved down a fist length, did a couple more, etc. When it got tough, I started placing my OH on my face in case I lost control, when it got really hard, I just left about 6 inches between my OH and the sledge's head and stopped it with as little force as possible.

Pronation & Supination: improving some, have to be careful with L elbow on all sledge work still.

I think my wimpy-looking wrists, forearms and body will be able to start some volume bending on easy stock, working on form-by June 15 or so. I guess I'd prefer what I have rather than to "look like Tarzan, grip like Jane". A lot depends on whether I DL the Inch by then or not.

3/16/08

BW: 163.2 lbs.

Wrist Work

Reverse Wrist Curls: 95 lbs.x3 reps|115 lbs.x3reps|125 lbs.x2reps+1 cheat||135 lbs.x3 attempts|135 lbs.x2 attempts (will look at video, think I got at least one full rep or more w/ 135)

Thug 2.4 inch Wrist Roller: tried 120 and then 105 (in plates) and got only partway-dropped to 90 and got it, apparently this is related to Inch work because i had nothing)

Wrist Curls: 135 lbs.x 21 reps| 135 lbs.x 4 reps ( didn't rest much at all, usually I rest 5-10 minutes)

Reverse Curls (thumbless): 75 lbs.x8 reps| 75 lbs.x8 reps| 75 lbs.x8 reps|

Levering: found a little better way for me to do it tonight. Started very choked up on the handle, did a couple reps, rested, moved down a fist length, did a couple more, etc. When it got tough, I started placing my OH on my face in case I lost control, when it got really hard, I just left about 6 inches between my OH and the sledge's head and stopped it with as little force as possible.

Pronation & Supination: improving some, have to be careful with L elbow on all sledge work still.

I think my wimpy-looking wrists, forearms and body will be able to start some volume bending on easy stock, working on form-by June 15 or so. I guess I'd prefer what I have rather than to "look like Tarzan, grip like Jane". A lot depends on whether I DL the Inch by then or not.

EDIT: Here's my latest Inch workout video (3-15-08)

Music: Taking Care Of Business Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO),

Edited by odin

I think my wimpy-looking wrists, forearms and body will be able to start some volume bending on easy stock, working on form-by June 15 or so.

OK, 135 reverse curl? You definitely have stronger wrists than I do. I'm sure you will bend just fine with a bit of practice.

I think my wimpy-looking wrists, forearms and body will be able to start some volume bending on easy stock, working on form-by June 15 or so.

OK, 135 reverse curl? You definitely have stronger wrists than I do. I'm sure you will bend just fine with a bit of practice.

That's reverse wrist curl Matt . I'm doing a lot less on reverse curls.

That's what I meant. I couldn't manage full ROM regular wrist curls with 115 lbs last time I tried.

That's what I meant. I couldn't manage full ROM regular wrist curls with 115 lbs last time I tried.

Matt, don't push the weight too fast, but don't baby yourself either. Many people shortchange themselves with the weights they use for their wrist curl variations. I know I need to warm-up well before I do heavy attempts, the wrist roller seems to be a good tool for this.

RE: the Inch: I'm hoping the combination of fighting extra weight and rotation with a lot of time aloft using the deloading of the mini-tramp is a winning one. I feel the extra work fighting the extra rotation of a loaded Inch, albeit for a brief period-is a necessary tool at this point for me anyway. I found that trying to lift it while fighting rotation was giving me a "patting the head" while "rubbing the stomach" sensation, a very weird feeling that I was completely unaccustomed to-so I decided to increase the feeling to make it seem easier at a later time with less of it.

Doing things to stop the rotation may be a good adjunctive tool to increase time in the air with the implement, but I don't think it addresses the underlying issue that makes the lift so problematic. It's also hard to know how much help you need in stopping the rotation and therefore hard to measure progress. At least I can measure how much weight i can break off the ground. At some point there must be an amount broken off the ground that guarantees a full DL (especially if mini-tramp, negatives or other deloading work is also done). For example, I don't think if someone could break the Inch+65 lbs. off the ground (if the weight is loaded so it increases or at least doesn't decrease rotation) that they'd fail with an unloaded DL attempt.

Think about other lifts, how many things have you broken off the ground and not been able to do with a little less weight? I know you're battling the rotational inertia and all with the Inch, but there must be a certain amount of extra weight broken off the ground that would indicate a full lift should be possible; if nothing else this may help someone else learn from my errors.

John Eaton said that it will not go from one inch-then ankle high-then mid-shin-then knee-then mid-thigh-then full DL as I'd assumed. He said I'm at the point where it could fly up to full DL at any time when I pull it just right once I lift it "unloaded". I hope he's right.

Edited by odin