Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Thanks for the video links. now that i see what your doing with the mini tramp, i like it even more. gonna start roving the second hand sports shops again. good luck with the 2x45's by the way.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Thanks for the video links. now that i see what your doing with the mini tramp, i like it even more. gonna start roving the second hand sports shops again. good luck with the 2x45's by the way.

Glad you liked the videos T-Dog, hope they give you some ideas. I can put up some more using pinch if you like.

2/10/08

warmup 30 minutes raking gumball debris, very windy day.

50 lb. weighted vest: 20 minute walk (don't know how heavier people carry that extra weight around-it's hard! Guess it makes them stronger just doing their ADLs.

Squats & Front Squats: just worked on achieving the deep position while attempting to keep heels on ground, slowly improving.

Vertical Jumps: did a variety, some off of a step (easy plyometrics I guess).

Wrist Curls: singles of 145-165-185-205 (not to my satisfaction, but pretty good).

2.5 inch DB wrist curls: worked up to 90 lbs.x1 (each hand) 61 lbsx12 reps|61x6 reps (each hand)

Reverse Wrist Curls: 75 lbsx5 reps| 95 lbs.x3 reps|110 lbs.x1 rep+1 cheat rep

Plate Wrist Curls: 25 lbs.x3 reps RH (3 forced reps LH)|

Finger Curls: 185 lbs.x5 reps|205 lbsx5 reps|230 lbs.x3 reps|230 lbs.x1 rep

2.4 inch PDA Thug Wrist Roller: worked up to 80 lbs. (tough)

2.4 inch PDA Thug: straddled and rolled like fighting Inch Dumbbell rotation (Clay Edgin style?):worked up to 60 lbs., used other hand to hold after each turn and regrouped.

Attempted to lever and do pronation, supination, but fried, done.

That's some heavy duty wrist curling :blink I gave 205 a shot at Jedd's today, and it didn't move :angry:

Edited by John Eaton

That's some heavy duty wrist curling :blink I gave 205 a shot at Jedd's today, and it didn't move :angry:

I'd think you must be pretty close to 205. I've got a few videos of me doing 205 fairly well, but not to my complete satisfaction.

At Diesel, were you Godzilla going through Tokyo again, or ____________?

My grip work has regressed overall since I've started working my whole body, but it should improve once my body is used to the additional stress.I've noticed that if I do other work first, I run out of steam earlier with the grip work than if I did it by itself.

Here is the exercise Clay Edgin used straddling the roller to practice fighting rotation that I tried in my last workout.

Edited by odin

At Diesel, were you Godzilla going through Tokyo again, or ____________?

No PR's yesterday from me. Jedd did some fantastic feats :rock It was just a little training session. Jedd got to meet my brother Daren, who has been working out with me the last 2 weeks.

My grip work has regressed overall since I've started working my whole body, but it should improve once my body is used to the additional stress.I've noticed that if I do other work first, I run out of steam earlier with the grip work than if I did it by itself.

My overall grip strength is also down since the overall body workouts. Climber has assured me that I will get it back and then some :D

Here is the exercise Clay Edgin used straddling the roller to practice fighting rotation that I tried in my last workout.

Me likey

Yes, I think it will help in building strength for fighting that pesky rotation. My thumb pads were hurting in a good way after the regular wrist roller and Clay's exercise.

Josh, how are you doing with the "Malachi Bell" (BFDB)?

Edited by odin

No PR's yesterday from me. Jedd did some fantastic feats :rock It was just a little training session. Jedd got to meet my brother Daren, who has been working out with me the last 2 weeks.

My overall grip strength is also down since the overall body workouts. Climber has assured me that I will get it back and then some :D

I hope that is true for both of us, I'm feeling pretty pathetic on grip lately-but 2x45 plates feels like it could happen any time or before summertime hopefully.

Will one of you do a write-up about what Jedd did? Did you guys mess with the Inch much?

Me likey

Yes, I think it will help in building strength for fighting that pesky rotation. My thumb pads were hurting in a good way after the regular wrist roller and Clay's exercise.

I've reduced my distance in half as far the stretch on the Monstermini deload bands. I've replaced that distance with white cord (think trotline). I've been getting it to midshin or so, so I'm not quite doing this distance/load but I'm making progress and that's what's important.

Me likey

I've reduced my distance in half as far the stretch on the Monstermini deload bands. I've replaced that distance with white cord (think trotline). I've been getting it to midshin or so, so I'm not quite doing this distance/load but I'm making progress and that's what's important.

Josh, it'll be fun to see you get it and then the Inch (your bell is likely a good bit harder). There's definitely not a lot of information about training for the Inch or how to tell how close you are, it takes a lot of mental discipline and belief in yourself if you have to train over a period of time for it like we're doing. I know you have what it takes.

50 lb. weighted vest: 20 minute walk. I feel this is good "active rest" for my primary goal of an Inch DB DL; it pulls really hard on my traps and i feel it a tiny bit in my lower back, yet (obviously) it doesn't stress my hands or wrists at all.

Sometimes when I'm working on the Inch I feel that it would be easier to do a hold at the top if my traps were stronger (of course I've started doing DLs, cleans, and shrugs to address traps as well). It feels like I'm lowering it at times due to upper back fatigue more than hand fatigue. When I tried the axle at Gripmas 303 felt really, really easy to hold in my hands, just hard to lift through the ROM.

Edited by odin

2/13/08

OH Press 105 lbs. x 5 reps| 105lbs. x5 reps| 105lbs. x5 reps| (decided to add 5 lbs. instead of the planned 2 and 1/2 this time, felt strong)

Reverse Grip Bench Press 115 lbsx5 reps|115 lbsx5 reps| 115 lbsx5 reps| (felt easy, added 10 instead of the planned 5 this time, felt strong)

Decided to just have fun and do whatever came to mind, but limited pinch and thickbar, so it was more of a tuneup to stay fresh for Saturday's Tarheel event.

Picked up 50 lb. Blob RH on impulse, no chalk, felt easy (sometimes I think I'll never understand friction-based lifts, texture just felt right).

Reverse Wrist Curls: 95 lbs.x3 reps| 115x2 fairly good reps+1 cheat|

Wrist Curls: 135 lbs.x11 reps

3-inch DB 77 lbs.: 5 DL singles with each hand app. 30 seconds apart, focusing on max speed, some were high pulls.

2x45 plates w/pipe deloaded bouncing hard off mini-tramp: 5 DL singles with each hand app. 30 seconds apart, focusing on max. speed.

52.5 Hex deloaded bouncing hard off mini-tramp: 5 DL singles with each hand app. 30 seconds apart, focusing on max. speed, some were high pulls (alternated all fingers and R+P only).

50 lb. Blob: deloaded bouncing hard off mini-tramp: 5 DL singles with each hand app. 30 seconds apart, focusing on max. speed, some were high pulls (alternated all fingers and R+P only).

Raining on and off all day, my "outdoor gym" was a veritable quagmire. Used a towel and lots of chalk.

Grip-related lifts will likely be down for a while (still congested), but another surge will come in time.

Edited by odin

2/14/08

Yoga: about 1/2 hour with my clients. Did some pushups, abs and burpees as well (how did I forget the form after doing 1000s in high school?)

OH extensor work and blue IM band during meeting

Evening, active rest:

Squat form work: am finding if I stand more "duck-footed" with widely splayed feet I can keep my heels down a little better, slowly improving, but groove is not good enough yet for serious work (feels like knees are not in a safe position though entire ROM).

OH squat w/ broom: 2 sets

Rotator cuff work with 5 & 10 lb. wt. plates

50 yd. Sprints: 5 @ app. 75% effort

Mild plyometric jumps: 2 sets of 10 reps

Yoga: about 20 minutes in living room

Looking at weight-gain and protein supplements, saw a whey protein w/ goat-milk base, interesting because lactose dislikes me. Considering creatine as well.

as far asweight gainer/whey goes, I suggest muscle milk. My wife drinks a shake every morning on here way to work and I have one everday at work. It's 99% lactose free and tastes great. You have to look around for it though. The price they charge at GNC is insane. We get it for about %50 at a wholesaler locally. Neither of us have ever had stomach problems from it.

brent

2/16/08 (at Scott George's, truncated from write-up in Tarheel thread )

Grippers:

closed HG 300? gripper in a choker that Scott rated around 2.8

almost closed his 3.1-rated #3 gripper in a choker (I think it was the 2nd time I've touched grippers since Gripmas?).

Pinch: MIA messed around a bit with his brand-new quick-loading euro-pinch device and "mouse". I'm just glad he was the only one there, I was so pathetically weak today, very embarrassing. I called it a day after trying his ~54-lb Eaton Blob several times and getting no air, did some OH-assisted lifts and negatives (couldn't even get air under his BLOB50 or 47.5 blob).

Both of us were feeling down about the Tarheel contest fizzling out-I was feeling primed to compete just a few days ago. :(

2/17/08

Inch Overload Day IV

Angry about yesterday, decided to go straight into Inch work after working a 1/2 day and a brief nap.

-Added weight with magnets (starting heavier and then lowering-equal # of attempts with BH),

+25 lbs.: barely broke ground (most I'd broken ground w/ in past workouts was 20 lbs.) one set of 3 attempts

+20 lbs.: broke ground one set of 3 attempts (felt better than last time, will have to look at video)

+15 lbs.: one set of 3 attempts (felt the same or worse than 20 lbs.)

+10 lbs.: two sets of 2 attempts (two RH attempts felt pretty good)

+10 lbs.: three sets of 2 OH rotation-stopper attempts (RH attempts felt better than LH, got a few to full DL-but couldn't do w/only one finger like I can with bells "unloaded")

Confirmed that sets of two attempts work the best for me, my second is often my best pull, but the third rarely is, just felt the need to test that tonight.

Mini-tramp Inch Work:

+10 lbs.: two sets of 2 attempts from bottom and 2 attempts mid-range (attempting to hold at top and fight rotation)

+10 lbs: two sets of ~7 attempts at bottom of ROM (bounce about 6+ inches and attempting to hold and fight rotation)

Thug 2.4 inch Wrist Roller: got 100 lbs. for the first time (typically do near end of workout, like today-so I was happy)

2.4 inch PDA Thug: straddled and rolled/held like fighting Inch Dumbbell rotation (Clay Edgin style?):worked up to 80 lbs (tough)

Finger Curls: 185 lbs.x5 reps| 205 lbs.x5reps| 230 lbs.x4 reps|250 lbs.x2 reps (not perfect).

Edited by odin

Inch Overload Day IV (click for video from Sunday, 2/17/08). Includes video and stills of breaking the ground with an extra 25 lbs. and 20 lbs. (better pulls than I was expecting, glad I used video). Music: Can’t Get It Out Of My Head by Electric Light Orchestra (ELO).

I'm trying to get my BW up to 170 lbs. or more without adding too much fat by GGC (today's weight 157.6).

Doing some DO DLs tonight, will post workout when I get time.

Great vid Odin! I like the idea of adding weight like that and I have some magnets, hmmm....

Good workout! The OH-assisted lifts looked strong. The added weights must skew the rotational aspect of the inch (either making it stronger or weaker). Have you tried placing the weights on the opposite side of the inch from which it wants to roll out? Like for example, if you're lifting with the right hand the inch wants to roll off to the left. Placing the weights on the right side of the inch so that it wants to roll back into your hand seems like it might be effective. Then again maybe not, I have no experience with these sorts of lifts. Anyway, you're making good progress odin. :)

Great vid Odin! I like the idea of adding weight like that and I have some magnets, hmmm....

Thanks Josh, let me know how you like it.

Gumpster, thanks for the support. Usually I set the magnets as centered on the bells as possible, sometimes I put the platemates on whatever side increases rotation (check out the lifts with 25). I don't believe the attached weights attenuate the rotational inertia of the bells much if at all, if that's what your suggesting might be happening (I've wondered about that myself, but it really feels harder). :)

2/20/08

DO Deadlifts: 225x3 reps| 255x5 reps (added 10 lbs. from last time, felt quite difficult-I was less explosive and weight was moving slower tonight).

DO Partial Deadlift (slightly above knee): 325x3 reps| (felt a little tight-slight tweak in low back, so stopped)

Shrug: 225x5 reps|275x5 reps|275x3 reps|275x2 reps|

Took creatine for the first time tonight.

Edited by odin

watch the creatine odin i was taking it a while back i find it causes water retention in the hands so even though my total body was stronger and i was growing in size my grip actually lost strength - water retention in the hands affects supporting grip the most, aswell as grippers. Let me know if you notice any problems with it.

watch the creatine odin i was taking it a while back i find it causes water retention in the hands so even though my total body was stronger and i was growing in size my grip actually lost strength - water retention in the hands affects supporting grip the most, aswell as grippers. Let me know if you notice any problems with it.

Hmmm. I don't take any supplements, other than vitamin C, but I have noticed that when my wedding band fits tightly my grip isn't quite as good as it is otherwise. I always figured it was blood retention in my fingers, but maybe it's water or a combination of the two.

Bob, I like the video! Have you considered giving yourself a "duedate" for lifting the infamous Inch? I'll tell you what. WHEN you lift it I'm buying you your choice of gripper from FBBC. And don't start with the "that's nice Eric, but...", because it's already a done deal. ;) Who's the lightest guy to ever lift it?

Gumpster, sorry I didn't get time to respond fully to the most salient point in you post re: adding weight to force the bells to rotate back into the hand to make it easier. Your idea is interesting and might be fun to play with. I've been focusing on increasing the rotation during my early pulls in the workout, only decreasing it through OH and mini-tramp assistance after fatigue sets in.In my Jan 21 entry I wrote something you may find interesting:

Tried one pull with platemates on fingers' side and it seemed to stop the rotation quite a bit, think I dropped it more out of shock than anything. Hmmm-maybe if I find just the right amount of weight to add to the fingers' side I will pull it sooner than with the bells "unloaded"? :devil

Hmmm. I don't take any supplements, other than vitamin C, but I have noticed that when my wedding band fits tightly my grip isn't quite as good as it is otherwise. I always figured it was blood retention in my fingers, but maybe it's water or a combination of the two.

Bob, I like the video! Have you considered giving yourself a "duedate" for lifting the infamous Inch? I'll tell you what. WHEN you lift it I'm buying you your choice of gripper from FBBC. And don't start with the "that's nice Eric, but...", because it's already a done deal. ;) Who's the lightest guy to ever lift it?

I'll let you know about any creatine side-effects Sam. I'm so thin anyway, it seems like a good supplement to try.

You made my day Eric! I can tell your mind is made up re: the gripper gift and THANKS for your confidence in me. I haven't thought of a due date, because I'm not in a hurry and really have no idea how close I am. The lightest guy was the late Bruce White ~150 lbs.

I'm glad most people like the video, because it is a bit time-consuming to make one. I extract the frames to see how high my best pulls are and then go on to make the video using stills, video, or a combination. I know most people only put up their fully completed/successful feats, but I've read enough accounts of people abandoning their Inch-quest that I wanted to try something different to hold myself accountable and to help others learn from my mistakes, hopefully not just concerned with looking good although that might be nice once in a while. :)

It'll also be pretty cool to look back on my progress after I complete the DL. I think the day I retreat into myself and keep a bunch of "secrets" about my training methods for an "edge" is the day I quit progressing. Reviewing the tapes and pics also gives me much better information than just trying to remember what happened.

2/21/08

Extensors: OH resistance during meeting.

Yoga: 1 hour with my clients

It's raining right now, not sure if I'll do any other type of workout tonight. Forearm flexors are still a little sore from Sunday's Inch work.

bob you do deserve to lift that inch :rock you put forth some good effort and determination if i did that 4 years ago i might be able to lift mine now you are getting me fired up training on mine again :D

bob you do deserve to lift that inch :rock you put forth some good effort and determination if i did that 4 years ago i might be able to lift mine now you are getting me fired up training on mine again :D

Dan, that is exactly what I was hoping for. It makes all the time/effort documenting what I'm doing worth it if a grip brother is inspired to return to Inch training. Thanks for letting me know you are getting fired up again, that's great! :rock I also appreciate your suggestion to add music to my videos.

Edited by odin

Odin you are getting me back into the idea of training for a full DL aswell. Motivating stuff here dude.