Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Yeah, i was noticing when i looked through your log that you don't do a lot of gripper work. I was thinking that with your base in pinch and thick bar work some massive grippers could be closed here.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Yeah, i was noticing when i looked through your log that you don't do a lot of gripper work. I was thinking that with your base in pinch and thick bar work some massive grippers could be closed here.

Thanks Sam, that's the plan, will use chokers at first when I feel like the time is right to start.

Glad to see you trying out a little levering. ;)

A couple more nudges and you'll be trying to squeeze some more intense gripper work into your routine. I think you're way ahead of me already judging by your results from Gripmas.

This stuff is just "the tip of the iceberg" of what Bob is capable of. The only thing is, he won't stun us now with a feat. We will be ready to see them, as they come :D

10/7/07 was the day Roger Steffens gave it to me. 10/8/07 was my first home workout with it. I've been able to get at least a little bit of air under both bells since the first day. Progress has been, fittingly, about an inch or so per month. I have a few pics in my gallery showing my slow but steady progress.

that's awesome.. i'd love to try an inch one day.. hope you get it soon!

Thanks for all the great replies, will reply when I can. John, thanks a lot for your kind remarks. I'm glad you think so highly of me because i think you're capable of anything you put your mind to.

Rested a few days as thumb web was torn from R+P attempts and L elbow tweaked from levering.

12/30/07

Did some TNS #2 closes: ground handles a bit RH and barely touched LH. Tried some setting, feels harder than TNS or CCS.

12/31/07

BW 156.8 lbs.

50 lb. blob R+P attempts: did only a couple sets, barely broke ground on one attempt, otherwise glued to ground. It felt like someone had surreptitiously replaced my chalk with baby powder, no texture to Blob today. Even tried alcohol blob bath w/o improvement. Humidity was low, so I'm dumbfounded. I felt confident, well-rested and strong and my thumb web was fully healed. Decided to abort pinch workout (will do in the next few days) and train with the Inch.

: ~5 sets of 3-4 attempts plus a few OH rotation stopper lifts. Used lighter pressure and released OH earlier, attempted to finish DL and lower under control. Best lifts ever, getting some above ankle height (around 6 inches), back bell even higher on a few. Feel like I'm doing well for only 12 weeks of training it.

: did a couple sets of bounces with varying amounts of force used to deload, working different parts of the ROM. Forearms started cramping and felt close to injury, so stopped for the day.

I've gotten a few PMs about my Inch training, so I uploaded all of my DL attempts from yesterday and my mini-tramp work from yesterday to youtube.

and
. I thought it would also be helpful to me; if they have time people who've already DL the Inch can let me know how close they think I am to pulling a full DL (months, years, decades ;) ). Edited by odin

Wrist Curls, Olympic Bar: 85x5, 125x5, 150 lbs. x5 reps (felt easy), 205x about five singles attempts, some felt better than others, constructive feedback will be appreciated.

bob, I noticed you have your thumb on the opposite side of the bar from the fingers. Have you tried the thumb under approach ? Should reduce the leverage arm and feel stronger, but could also be more difficult to hold on to, due to your excellent full range motion

Wrist Curls, Olympic Bar: 85x5, 125x5, 150 lbs. x5 reps (felt easy), 205x about five singles attempts, some felt better than others, constructive feedback will be appreciated.

bob, I noticed you have your thumb on the opposite side of the bar from the fingers. Have you tried the thumb under approach ? Should reduce the leverage arm and feel stronger, but could also be more difficult to hold on to, due to your excellent full range motion

I haven't tried that yet Roger. Has anyone else tried it that way? I'm afraid I'd drop it, maybe I will try with a light weight sometime and see how it goes.

My forearms were quite sore for a few days after my Inch session, so all I did for the next few days was some extensor work (plate levering, IM bands, OH resistance).

1/5/08

BW 157.2 lbs.

Tried R + P 50 lb. Blob, worst session ever, no air.

Decided to go for the

:

Tested feel of 2x45s (plates) feel like they will levitate this year.

Finished with TTK, didn't track sets reps, heaviest weight used was 40 lbs for a few 2-handed partials.

1/6/08

BW 157.2 lbs.

Tried R + P 50 lb. Blob a few times because "feel" was right, but was too weak and thumbs had "blob burn".

2.5 inch DB Wrist curls: 59 lbs.x5 reps EH | 70 lbs.x5 reps EH

Did some wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and reverse curls; but nothing felt right.

Toyed some with levering and DH's wrist developer but nothing too extreme due to L elbow flare-up last week after levering. Seems like I'm needing more rest between workouts than before to get good results.

Edited by odin

Roger, sorry for the short reply previously, Maricel wanted me to go to sleep.Thanks for your wrist curl-related feedback and compliments. I wish I could see some of your wrist curls and other feats on video (plate curls/plate wrist curls?), I know you have some terrifically strong wrists and forearms; they dwarf mine in both size and power for sure.

Weren't you doing around 225x10 in the regular wrist curl before you switched most of your wrist workouts to one of the plate-related varieties?

I think i might lower the weight and do some more reps and work the weight back up again. I've been feeling a little stale or out of the groove on lower-rep (<6)wrist curls lately. Maybe I'll see how many reps I can do w/ either 100 or 135, depending on warmup groove.Wrist curls are one of those high-risk/high-reward exercises; if an exercise involves no risk, I guess it is next to useless, so I've heard.

1/8/08

Anson came over and we put the power rack together. It is from Northern Lights and Anson said the quality is very good. It has a chinning bar and a lat pulldown attachment. Thanks Anson!

It was too late for any real training, but I enjoyed talking to him. He showed me a shot rotation with a 16 lb. & 9 lb. shot, I didn't get it but he rotated them. He showed me a chin or pull-up that looked like an upside-down row (Scapular Pull Up?)-very explosive strength! I showed him how i train with the mini-tramp for the Inch, shotput and blobs and how to do OH-rotation-stopper Inch lifts. He broke the Inch off the ground a good inch as well.

1/9/08

Inch Overload Day

Some of these may be listed out of order (didn't enter last night), will have to look at workout tape.

-Started workout with 1-finger touch to side of front bell for a full lift RH, but needed-full-hand light touch LH

-Did OH rotation-stopper lifts, added ~18 lbs., then ~30+ lbs. of chains to make above-knee part of ROM tougher

-Added weight with magnets for "iso" type work (starting heavier and then lowering), broke ground a tiny amount with +10, maybe +15 and +17.5 (will need to review).

-Mini-tramp bounces and attempted holds at various heights w/ various weights added, none w/o weight.

-finished workout with:

random/Blob play using mini-tramp. Blob facelift is improving slightly from mini-tramp

-heavy shot rotations..

Feeling a lot stronger with the Inch. Getting closer, hearing the theme from Rocky playing in my head. Something is happening to me; a transformation is occuring.

Trying hard now

it's so hard now

trying hard now

Getting strong now

won't be long now

getting strong now

Gonna fly now

flying high now

gonna fly, fly, fly...

Edited by odin

Glad to hear you got the power rack together. Great looking workout :cool

Feeling a lot stronger with the Inch. Getting closer, hearing the theme from Rocky playing in my head. Something is happening to me; a transformation is occuring.

Trying hard now

it's so hard now

trying hard now

Getting strong now

won't be long now

getting strong now

Gonna fly now

flying high now

gonna fly, fly, fly...

I said it before, I'll say it again. You're a real monster, Bob. It won't be long before you're pulling that Inch with ease!

Strong work with that Inch, Bob!

My wrists are terribly weak so I have no advice whatsoever, BUT, the one I thing I wanted to mention is that David Horne advises to put the thumb in the same side as the fingers when doing WC's, and to have them on the opposite side for reverse WC's, or so I think, from his "routine for begginers" in the FAQ secion. I don't think you will drop 200lbs if you have the thumb under the bar, if you are almost lifting the INCH with ONE hand... how could you drop a regular barbell weighing just 30+ pounds more using both hands? You have the power I bet. Let us know how it went when you try Roger's advice! He must know what he's talking about too.

Glad to hear you got the power rack together. Great looking workout :cool

Thanks John. When will you begin working out? :D

Let us know how it went when you try Roger's advice! He must know what he's talking about too.

Felt awkward to me in my thumb (ligaments?), will try another time. Perhaps there is an unknown weakness there?

Feeling a lot stronger with the Inch. Getting closer, hearing the theme from Rocky playing in my head. Something is happening to me; a transformation is occurring.

Trying hard now

it's so hard now

trying hard now

Getting strong now

won't be long now

getting strong now

Gonna fly now

flying high now

gonna fly, fly, fly...

I said it before, I'll say it again. You're a real monster, Bob. It won't be long before you're pulling that Inch with ease!

You're the first to call me a monster Goody, thanks. That really means a lot to me, as silly as that may sound.

1/10/08

BW: 155.8 lbs.

Chins: BWx7reps

Pullups: BWx7reps

Parallel-grip pullups: : BWx7reps

(didn't want to make myself debilitated for a week, am just pleasantly sore)

Did a lot of extensor work during meetings at work.

1/12/07

DO DL (oly bar): 185 lbs.x5reps| 205 lbs.x5reps| 225 lbs.x5reps (easy workout, haven't done DL since Gripmas)

DO DL lockouts (2+ inches): 315 lbs.5reps| 365 lbs.3reps frontx3reps behind hamstrings| 385 lbs.2reps frontx2reps behind hamstrings| 405x0 (lifted a little ways) 335x10 reps

Shrugs: 225 lbs.x5 repsx5 repsx5 reps

Finger Curls 225x3 reps

Wrist Curls: nothing left, done.

Edited by odin

Here is my Inch workout from last Wednesday (1/9/08), used extra weights w/ magnets and chains. I did break it off the ground with each hand w/ 17.5 lbs. attached.

Also, you can see how little I am helping with my off-hand on a few "unweighted" lifts.

I tried to make it more interesting, need to develop better movie-making skills in case I do something truly remarkable.

gonna fly now is an awesome rocky song, but i like "going the distance" best! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u21Mec_Xsw

Yes, that's a great one plgut, thanks! Will be using it sometime, I'm sure. Hope you like Eye of the Tiger as well. ;)

Edited by odin

Nice workout and great progress on the Inch. As to working out HMMM ;)

Nice work on the Inch :rock

Good work on the inch. Nice to see you persevering with it man i gave up after about a month because it killed everything else!

Nice workout and great progress on the Inch. As to working out HMMM ;)

Thanks John!

Better get off the couch. Don't look back, I might be gainin' on ya' brother.

Nice work on the Inch :rock

Thanks Alawadhi! How are you doing on your (three?) Inches? Any air yet?

Great workout on the Inch Bob!! You'll get it soon man

Thanks Derek! I wish I knew how close I really was, but it's a very fun journey no matter how many months/years it takes.

Good work on the inch. Nice to see you persevering with it man i gave up after about a month because it killed everything else!

You're right Sam, it really does nuke me for several days after each workout, but that's ok, because it is my #1 goal right now. Based on your recent RT work, you must be very close.

great stuff mate...very well done!

Thanks pklidaras! Have you done much work with the Inch or thick DBs yourself?

strong :flame workout

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your comment on the youtube video as well. I expect you and your son to get it DL (weren't you about 12 lbs. away a couple years ago, based on deloading?). Do you have any video of your attempts to share? That would be cool.

Edited by odin

Odin,

Great work-out!!! :rock " You Inspire Me" with all your hard work.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your comment on the youtube video as well. I expect you and your son to get it DL (weren't you about 12 lbs. away a couple years ago, based on deloading?). Do you have any video of your attempts to share? That would be cool.

no bob that went south :blush when i got arthritis real bad and my son does not realy train grip with out me i just got started back again for about the sixth time :angry: and hope we can stick with it most of his lifts are natural i guess like john eaton his wide pinch and hub he can do anytime and he just started moving the inch again so dont look for any big air time soon good luck and keep up the good work :rock