Ben Helms Training Log

Ben Helms

Been training endurance with reps and progress is showing. I can now comfortably close any rgc in the 180’s with little trouble. Muscular endurance is feeling strong. 

-Standard Titanium (180rgc)

-Tetting Super Elite (182rgc)

-Standard Titanium (186rgc)

-Silarukov150 (187rgc)

-Robert Baraban 300 (188rgc)

-Standard Tungsten (189rgc)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ben Helms said:

Been training endurance with reps and progress is showing.

What kind of rep range and percent 1RM have you been working in?

• Like 1

All credit to the approach goes to Ivan Cuk. Ive slightly made some modifications to the approach but the outline is about the same. For the light reps and 75% single I use a 38mm block.

Light ×5

Light x3

Light x3

Light x3

70% 1rm x1 

75% 1rm x1 

80% 1rm x1  

85% 1rm x1 

80% 1rm x8

80% 1rm x8 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

What kind of rep range and percent 1RM have you been working in?

Forgot to quote your comment but it’s answered above 👆🏻 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

All credit to the approach goes to Ivan Cuk. Ive slightly made some modifications to the approach but the outline is about the same. For the light reps and 75% single I use a 38mm block.

Light ×5

Light x3

Light x3

Light x3

70% 1rm x1 

75% 1rm x1 

80% 1rm x1  

85% 1rm x1 

80% 1rm x8

80% 1rm x8 

Interesting. And are the remaining MMS then? And is there progression week-to-week, or just as you get stronger the reps get easier then eventually you re-test and adjust percentages?

Just now, DoctorOfCrush said:

Interesting. And are the remaining MMS then? And is there progression week-to-week, or just as you get stronger the reps get easier then eventually you re-test and adjust percentages?

Basically retest. I like keeping things simple. And yes MMS for the remainder 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ben Helms said:

Basically retest. I like keeping things simple. And yes MMS for the remainder 👍🏻

Gotcha. How frequently have you been retesting?
(Sorry for all the questions, I just love talking/dissecting programming)

• Like 3

Just now, DoctorOfCrush said:

Gotcha. How frequently have you been retesting?
(Sorry for all the questions, I just love talking/dissecting programming)

Totally fine bro! I should be retesting every month but i did it after two weeks and still saw some return but from now on itll be every month. My best closes are at 200rgc but did an early test with the 205 gg7 and got it so technically got a 5rgc gain in two weeks haha maybe ill get 210 next month

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

Totally fine bro! I should be retesting every month but i did it after two weeks and still saw some return but from now on itll be every month. My best closes are at 200rgc but did an early test with the 205 gg7 and got it so technically got a 5rgc gain in two weeks haha maybe ill get 210 next month

Nice! 

I've been working with higher volume/lower intensity-type work for a minute now, and I am about to do ~a month of higher intensity that has been fruitful in the past, but I may try something similar after. I'd really love to be comfortably in the 150s-160s. 

Thanks for the replies!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Nice! 

I've been working with higher volume/lower intensity-type work for a minute now, and I am about to do ~a month of higher intensity that has been fruitful in the past, but I may try something similar after. I'd really love to be comfortably in the 150s-160s. 

Thanks for the replies!

Anytime brother! I look forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ben Helms said:

Light ×5

Light x3

Light x3

Light x3

70% 1rm x1 

75% 1rm x1 

80% 1rm x1  

85% 1rm x1 

80% 1rm x8

80% 1rm x8 

The 38 mm block is that something you're using to measure your set? How often are you performing this?

When you do each rep, how far do you let it open? Appreciate any information you care to share.

9 hours ago, JeffgripPeterson said:

The 38 mm block is that something you're using to measure your set? How often are you performing this?

When you do each rep, how far do you let it open? Appreciate any information you care to share.

Yeah ill block set 38mm for every rep 👍🏻

supper cool

• Thanks 1

RB400 MMS

Not satisfied with this close. It was a very brief tap and once I turned my wrist it opened right back up. Next time, im giving this a firm close with a good hold. Hopefully Friday 💪🏻

• Like 3

Big day today!

-double stamp coc4 close (202rgc)

-hulk400 38mm block set pr (200rgc)

-hulk400 rep pr (x8 180rgc)

• Like 6

WAY COOL, AMAZING

• Thanks 1

This breakdown of my heavy 3.5 close shows how having a super wide spread is important for gripper training. While having success in the set and close, the hold was a miss. This still counts as a close but the purpose of mentioning the hold is to show how training for the hold on wide spread grippers will aid your training. These wide spreads will try to force your hand to reopen as shown in this video. Being able to control the contrasting force made by this wide spread will increase your strength in closing the next PR close that you’re looking for. Ill continue to train with this gripper so that I can dominate the spread and hold it closed. 

• Like 6

Back To Back Closes: Cannon Power Works

-Standard Titanium (186rgc)
-Standard Titanium (180rgc)

Back To Back Ascending Closes: Robert Baraban

-RB330 (182rgc)
-RB365 (185rgc)

Back To Back Ascending Ladder: Warren Tetting

-Master (105rgc)
-Super Master (132rgc)
-Grand Master (155rgc)
-Elite (171rgc)
-Super Elite (182rgc)

• Like 3

That crush pad you use on your palm is a great idea. Crazy strong closes too man. 

• Thanks 1

NICE WORK

• Thanks 1

-Standard Tungsten rated 198rgc
This gripper needs to be oiled because it was very squeaky. I think it added resistance to it because my GHP9 199rgc felt way easier than this close.

-Robert Baraban 365N rated 196rgc
Very narrow spread with the smooth closing qualities in this gripper make it a very easy 196 and great training gripper.

-Silarukov 150 rated 195rgc
This gripper is extremely narrow. More narrow than my other Silarukov 150 rated 187rgc. This gripper rated higher than my wider spread Silarukov 150 rated 187rgc because the spring coil was smaller, making it a stiffer gripper. Even though I closed it, when I adjusted my thumb it opened back up briefly but immediately. Very stiff and challenging gripper that ill add to my training for getting a stronger hold on the close. 

• Like 3