Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

9 hours ago, matek said:

Nice one Doug, I bet these are hard.

And nice gripper collection, currently I have only12 😅

Be careful, the color of anodized handles comes off super fast if you put them on each other like that!

Still more than my 7, lol. I make due though. 

• Like 2

I probably know the answer already but currently wondering whether blobbin' is possible with a ruptured A4 pulley in my middle finger.

It's not like I'd be bending my finger into a crimp position.  Wouldn't even be rounded like it would be with a rolling handle.  My finger would be mostly straight...

Pretty sure it's a bad idea...but I do miss blobbin'.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I probably know the answer already but currently wondering whether blobbin' is possible with a ruptured A4 pulley in my middle finger.

It's not like I'd be bending my finger into a crimp position.  Wouldn't even be rounded like it would be with a rolling handle.  My finger would be mostly straight...

Pretty sure it's a bad idea...but I do miss blobbin'.

I wouldn’t but that’s just me, not yet anyways. Only you know though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah...logically I know I shouldn't.  But my 24kg Holle blob is supposed to arrive today and I pinch w-a-y better left-handed.  So I'm super frustrated that I'm tacking on an extra month to my wait for a full lift (unless rightie pulls off an upset victory before leftie heals up).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Yeah...logically I know I shouldn't.  But my 24kg Holle blob is supposed to arrive today and I pinch w-a-y better left-handed.  So I'm super frustrated that I'm tacking on an extra month to my wait for a full lift (unless rightie pulls off an upset victory before leftie heals up).

Nothing wrong with focusing on your right hand for a change.  In the grand scheme of things I doubt your left hand will get much weaker if any but your right hand will be stronger. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nothing wrong with focusing on your right hand for a change.  In the grand scheme of things I doubt your left hand will get much weaker if any but your right hand will be stronger.

Agree and agree.

I guess you ruptured your pulley just partially. Imagine now being impatient and getting a complete rupture/tear.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, matek said:

Agree and agree.

I guess you ruptured your pulley just partially. Imagine now being impatient and getting a complete rupture/tear.

I severely strained a ligament in my thumb when I was 19 or 20.  First I felt a weird sensation… two hours later carrying plywood It went POP and swelled up like a balloon. I got X-rays immediately but I couldn’t tell you what I tore. All I know is it’s one of the most painful injuries I’ve had and I couldn’t do anything without pain.

Like using my right hand for stuff still hurt my left thumb. Anyways I remember it was a Wednesday or Thursday and I figured I’ll stay home and ice it a day or two plus the weekend.

My dad told me to essentially man up and he’d lay brick with one hand if it happened to him.  I ended up getting a splint and going to work I re injured it a bunch of times over the next couple days and it took about 3 years to full heal.  

Long story short don’t do what I did.🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Agree and agree.

Yeah...I have a physical therapy evaluation in a couple of hours and a MRI in a couple of days.  Should know more later this week...

Really getting ahead of myself even daydreaming about blobbin'.  It's going to be a l-o-n-g six weeks.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I severely strained a ligament in my thumb when I was 19 or 20.  First I felt a weird sensation… two hours later carrying plywood It went POP and swelled up like a balloon. I got X-rays immediately but I couldn’t tell you what I tore. All I know is it’s one of the most painful injuries I’ve had and I couldn’t do anything without pain.

Like using my right hand for stuff still hurt my left thumb. Anyways I remember it was a Wednesday or Thursday and I figured I’ll stay home and ice it a day or two plus the weekend.

My dad told me to essentially man up and he’d lay brick with one hand if it happened to him.  I ended up getting a splint and going to work I re injured it a bunch of times over the next couple days and it took about 3 years to full heal.  

Long story short don’t do what I did.🤣

Not fun at all. I had 2 back tears a couple years ago. Wasn't bad enough to get it checked out, but it still wasn't very pleasant. I could barely get dressed by myself it hurt so bad.

• Like 3

In better news, I'm expecting a four band Atomgripz Stainless Steel 303z from @lloyd to keep my right hand occupied while my left hand heals.  😇

Below is a photo he sent to make sure it's exactly what I envisioned.  (IT IS!!!)  Such a great experience working with him.

Goal is to TNS this beauty after my nailing my Silarukov 100 (RGC 117).

Atomgripz Stainless Steel 303z.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

In better news, I'm expecting a four band Atomgripz Stainless Steel 303z from @lloyd to keep my right hand occupied while my left hand heals.  😇

Below is a photo he sent to make sure it's exactly what I envisioned.  (IT IS!!!)  Such a great experience working with him.

A beauty. I love my custom stainless gripper.
First it was just the weight in the hand I liked, but over time I noticed that this thing just stays sharp; much harder to hurt the knurling compared to alu. Which makes sense of course, you just don't think about this first

Edited by matek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Beautiful 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Yeah...I have a physical therapy evaluation in a couple of hours and a MRI in a couple of days.  Should know more later this week...

Really getting ahead of myself even daydreaming about blobbin'.  It's going to be a l-o-n-g six weeks.

hope it a goes well at the docs...These 6 weeks will go by fast, Halloween will be here before you know it and then it's only a week or so after that. 

And thats a nice gripper you've got there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

hope it a goes well at the docs...These 6 weeks will go by fast, Halloween will be here before you know it and then it's only a week or so after that. 

And thats a nice gripper you've got there. 

Physical Therapist evaluation went well.  Took some angle measurements and I have decent range of motion closing my hand and making a fist.

She also had me squeeze a dynamometer like the one below. Started with my right hand and she was like, "wow. 118. ok." So I was like, that's it?  I can do better than that.  Give it back.  She laughed because I hit 130 the next time and said something like you can stop before you break it.  But in all seriousness...I hit 115 with my left and she said that was plenty strong for what I have going on.

Then she did some soft tissue work and showed me some stretches.  Ended with her saying she wouldn't be shocked if the MRI showed it was just a really bad strain instead of a rupture and basically said not to waste my money making another appointment with her.  Just keep doing the stretches.  So I thought that was really cool.

image.jpeg.16e5e0ce62c6e395c396a3fcd9d50134.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

24kg Holle blob arrived as scheduled.  But I left it wrapped up for a future opening video when I feel ready.  Maybe after Halloween.  We'll see.  Trying to be patient.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Physical Therapist evaluation went well.  Took some angle measurements and I have decent range of motion closing my hand and making a fist.

She also had me squeeze a dynamometer like the one below. Started with my right hand and she was like, "wow. 118. ok." So I was like, that's it?  I can do better than that.  Give it back.  She laughed because I hit 130 the next time and said something like you can stop before you break it.  But in all seriousness...I hit 115 with my left and she said that was plenty strong for what I have going on.

Then she did some soft tissue work and showed me some stretches.  Ended with her saying she wouldn't be shocked if the MRI showed it was just a really bad strain instead of a rupture and basically said not to waste my money making another appointment with her.  Just keep doing the stretches.  So I thought that was really cool.

image.jpeg.16e5e0ce62c6e395c396a3fcd9d50134.jpeg

Promising news

• Like 2

One Finger Lift – Half York 60 Blob 09/24/2024

Can't do my regular blob lifts with my left hand because of an A4 pulley rupture in my middle finger.  But I don't recall the doctor saying anything against pinching with my thumb and index finger.  Half York 60 is the best I could manage with this technique.

Musical Inspiration:  "One" by Three Dog Night from the album "Three Dog Night" (also known as "One") released in October 1968.

• Like 2

Hub Lift – Marcy 35 with 12 ½ lb Added 09/24/2024

Watched some of @Jedd Johnson's videos on The Grip Authority to learn a bit more about hub lifting.  Needed to practice because @stranger will be bringing a Fuller 45 for me to lift after the Snacktown Squeeze Fest Part Deux on October 6th.  Would be a shame for him to go to all that trouble and me not to put in the work to train for it.

Musical Inspiration:  "Freya" by The Sword from the album "Age of Winters" released in February 2006.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

One Finger Lift – Half York 60 Blob 09/24/2024

Can't do my regular blob lifts with my left hand because of an A4 pulley rupture in my middle finger.  But I don't recall the doctor saying anything against pinching with my thumb and index finger.  Half York 60 is the best I could manage with this technique.

Musical Inspiration:  "One" by Three Dog Night from the album "Three Dog Night" (also known as "One") released in October 1968.

Very cool, this just shows how strong your thumb is👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Hub Lift – Marcy 35 with 12 ½ lb Added 09/24/2024

Watched some of @Jedd Johnson's videos on The Grip Authority to learn a bit more about hub lifting.  Needed to practice because @stranger will be bringing a Fuller 45 for me to lift after the Snacktown Squeeze Fest Part Deux on October 6th.  Would be a shame for him to go to all that trouble and me not to put in the work to train for it.

Musical Inspiration:  "Freya" by The Sword from the album "Age of Winters" released in February 2006.

nice work Doug

Edited by Blacksmith513

1 hour ago, matek said:

Very cool, this just shows how strong your thumb is👍

Thanks Matek!  Might try some pinching with the Iron Grip 90 EXT I got from @Cannon if there's a low enough setting for one finger work.

On a related note, I was able to do a little bit of crushing with IronMind IMTUGs using just my index finger and my ring finger/pinky together.  So I can't say I'm totally ignoring my left hand...just my middle finger.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

nice work Doug

Thanks Joe!  I need to review @Jedd Johnson's "Feat Meet Invitational 9/14/24 - Hub + Weight Various Competitors" video and see if I can pick up any tips from watching those elite guys.