Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Now you've got a new excuse to get out of social events.

"Sorry, need to spend some time with the old ball and chain"

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, kurtwpg said:

Now you've got a new excuse to get out of social events.

"Sorry, need to spend some time with the old ball and chain"

hopefully Doug uses that thing solely for training purposes and not at any social events🤣

• Haha 1

Not feeling 100%.  Hoping my son didn't share his strep throat germs with me.

Went for a dead hang retest anyway last night.  Only hit 8 seconds with 3" grenade grips and 26 seconds with the bar right after.  Just wasn't feeling it.

Didn't even bother weighing myself afterward because the video would be so underwhelming and not worth sharing.

• Sad 3

23 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not feeling 100%.  Hoping my son didn't share his strep throat germs with me.

Went for a dead hang retest anyway last night.  Only hit 8 seconds with 3" grenade grips and 26 seconds with the bar right after.  Just wasn't feeling it.

Didn't even bother weighing myself afterward because the video would be so underwhelming and not worth sharing.

Get better soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matek said:

Get better soon!

Thanks Matek!  Not horrible today so I may head downstairs later to do some deficit loading pin work.  Single hand stuff...nothing super heavy.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Matek!  Not horrible today so I may head downstairs later to do some deficit loading pin work.  Single hand stuff...nothing super heavy.

Nice,

glad your feeling better

• Thanks 1

WAY TO BE DOUG WAY TO BE

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice,

glad your feeling better

Thanks Joe!  Maybe 75-80% today?  But I was dog-tired Tuesday, so I'll take it.

5 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

WAY TO BE DOUG WAY TO BE

Thanks John!  Training doesn't stop.  It adapts.

• Like 2

for sure

just keep moving forward 

• Like 1

Small PRs during Grip Strength Superset with a Deficit Loading Pin 09-05-2024

Been sick all week but still needed to train for the "Snacktown Squeeze Fest Part Deux" on October 6, 2024.

Pleasantly surprised to hit a couple of small PRs today:

Two Hand 2” x 5” Napalm Nightmare - 156lb added (169.80lb total) - First time lifting this weight with this setup (right up to the last second slip).

King Kong JUG 2.5” - Left 190lb added (196.60lb total) - First time this weight has broken the ground with this setup.

Musical Inspiration:  "All the Small Things" by Blink-182 from the album "Enema of the State" released in June 1999.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

Grip Strength "The Silver Standard Challenge" - No Hub or Bend 09-05-2024

A couple of weeks ago, @Ben Helms (with help from friends @ZRMMA and @stranger) introduced a collection of classic grip feats called "The Gold Standard Challenge."

All I have done from the Gold list is lift a FatMan blob.  So today I rolled out the equipment for "The Silver Standard Challenge" instead.  This consists of the following feats:

• Credit Card Set C.o.C No.2
• Lift a “Baby” Inch Dumbbell (135lbs)
• Lift a Next Gen Half 100
• Pinch 35lb plates
• Hub a 35lb plate
• Bend an Ironmind Blue Nail

Only hit two-thirds so still some work to do.

• Like 8

Pinching two 35s plus 7.5lb in magnets 09-05-2024

Round 3 of pinching two 35s.  Decided to try adding 7.5lbs in magnets again for progressive overload. This time went a bit better and they got a wee bit of air.

Musical Inspiration:  "Duality" by Slipknot from the album "Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)" released in May 2004.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Grip Strength "The Silver Standard Challenge" - No Hub or Bend 09-05-2024

A couple of weeks ago, @Ben Helms (with help from friends @ZRMMA and @stranger) introduced a collection of classic grip feats called "The Gold Standard Challenge."

All I have done from the Gold list is lift a FatMan blob.  So today I rolled out the equipment for "The Silver Standard Challenge" instead.  This consists of the following feats:

• Credit Card Set C.o.C No.2
• Lift a “Baby” Inch Dumbbell (135lbs)
• Lift a Next Gen Half 100
• Pinch 35lb plates
• Hub a 35lb plate
• Bend an Ironmind Blue Nail

Only hit two-thirds so still some work to do.

Crazy strong blob lift Doug! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben Helms said:

Crazy strong blob lift Doug! 

Thanks Ben!  You and other strong blob lifters on the GripBoard inspire me to push myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving a little slow today because of how hard I pushed yesterday, but totally worth it.

Happy to have some small PRs and a decent NextGen lift despite not feeling 100%.

Iron dues are paid up for the next day or two.  Happy Friday everyone!

• Like 5

Brass taxes and iron dues!

• Like 2

Difficult to photograph, but trying to show how the Ivanko ribs are very vertical, but the hub has a bit of slope/curve to it (especially in the bottom half).

Not sure if other olympic plates are shaped like this...but to me the Ivanko hub feels challenging.

Ivanko Hub Compare.jpg

• Like 2

Good News / Bad News from Today's Dead Hang Re-Test

Good News - I took the kids to the playground this afternoon and got up to around a minute on the monkey bars pretty easily.  😎

Bad News - I had to stop / drop early because my son was throwing his tennis ball around, launched it up and over the whole big jungle gym, hit a parent on the opposite side, and I had to go make sure the woman was ok.  😧

NOTE:  Kid's got a decent arm.  If soccer doesn't work out, maybe he has a future in track and field.  🤔

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Good News / Bad News from Today's Dead Hang Re-Test

Good News - I took the kids to the playground this afternoon and got up to around a minute on the monkey bars pretty easily.  😎

Bad News - I had to stop / drop early because my son was throwing his tennis ball around, launched it up and over the whole big jungle gym, hit a parent on the opposite side, and I had to go make sure the woman was ok.  😧

NOTE:  Kid's got a decent arm.  If soccer doesn't work out, maybe he has a future in track and field.  🤔

Jeez at least he wasn’t playing shot put. Glad she’s ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Jeez at least he wasn’t playing shot put. Glad she’s ok.

I know, right?!? Even an actual baseball...

He (and his buddies) are more "Ready, Fire, Aim" than "Ready, Aim, Fire" at this age. 🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I know, right?!? Even an actual baseball...

He (and his buddies) are more "Ready, Fire, Aim" than "Ready, Aim, Fire" at this age. 🙄

I don't think I've grown out of that age yet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I don't think I've grown out of that age yet

On the plus side, that approach is more decisive/confident than "Aim, Aim,Aim, Aim, Aim, Aim, Ready, Fire." 😄

• Haha 1

Finally had a chance to get some of my coworkers to try grippers and the hand dynamometer.

Strongest guy was my boss' boss who got the PowerBall 200 (RGC 90) down pretty far [but not all the way closed].

And thankfully I at least managed to close a Heavy Grips 250 (RGC 105) to maintain a bit of credibility.  I wasn't even thinking about work when I trained grippers yesterday...hahaha

My boss' boss smoked the dyno though and pulled 135.0. And I only hit 139.6. Much closer on that test.

I think he played football in college and still lifts weights, so not shocked that he has a decent grip.

All in all, fun little team thing today spreading the word about grip sport.

UPDATE: Another buddy stopped by right after my initial post. He's a climber and pulled 132.0.

Funny thing is he wanted to see my technique, so I pulled one last time and hit 143.4. Surprised my number went up because my forearm is fried right now.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 6

Silarukov Gripper Table No Set Attempts 09-13-2024

Got some new (to me) Silarukov grippers.  So I went a little crazy and tried to Table No Set all of them.

The lineup - Silarukov 80 (RGC 95), Silarukov 90 (RGC 103), Silarukov 100 (RGC 117), Silarukov 110 (RGC 126), and Silarukov 120 (RGC 147)

Musical Inspiration:  "Loco" by Coal Chamber from the album "Coal Chamber" released in February 1997.

• Like 4