Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

In that case, I may hold onto it and give it to the first person that can close the Heavy Grips 250 (RGC 105).

Hopefully that's incentive to give grip training a try.

That's pretty good and might just work. If they give up, we should trade 250s. I'm never closing that 113.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kurtwpg said:

That's pretty good and might just work. If they give up, we should trade 250s. I'm never closing that 113.

I can't give up this low rated 250.  At 105 it's exactly halfway between the Poweball 200 (RGC 90) and Powerball 250 (RGC 120) that came in the set from CannonPowerworks.

Speaking of which, I need a gripper rated around 132 from @Cannon to bridge the gap up to the Poweball 300 (RGC 145). Going to be a while before I'm closing that one.

• Like 1

We’ll have Iron again eventually. Waiting on springs right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So today was a bust. Sent my boss's boss a message before a big meeting and didn't get a response.

Turns out we were delayed starting the meeting and he was like, you should have brought the grippers.  🙄

Next time I'll just bring them regardless...just in case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

So today was a bust. Sent my boss's boss a message before a big meeting and didn't get a response.

Turns out we were delayed starting the meeting and he was like, you should have brought the grippers.  🙄

Next time I'll just bring them regardless...just in case.

That’s a bummer…

Always better to have and not need than to need and not have

• Thanks 1

York 105 and 115 Legacy – Full Lift 08-23-2024

First time getting a full lift with this combo.  Not sure if it was a mental block or what...but I feel like this took nearly two months to happen.  Thankfully today happened to be the day.

Musical Inspiration:  "Awaken" by Dethklok from "The Dethalbum" released in September 2007.

• Like 2

Backwards Blob Lift - Pre-USA York 95 08-23-2023

Still occasionally working on turning my blobs around backwards and attempting them the harder way.  Today I managed to get my Pre-USA York 95 okay with my left hand for the first time.

Musical Inspiration:  "Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle" by Dethklok from "The Dethalbum" (Deluxe Edition Bonus Disc) released in September 2007.

• Like 2

Ambidextrous Gripper Table No Set Attempts 08-26-2024

Mixed it up tonight.  Revisited Table No Set attempts but this time with some Gillingham High Performance (GHP) grippers and using both my right AND left hands.

My left hand has always been my wide-pinch hand, not my gripper hand.  But it didn't help that it hasn't squeezed a gripper in months.  Was certainly obvious tonight.

Added a third "bonus" round at the end because the Silarukov is significantly narrower than the GHP grippers.  Just wanted to see how far I am from a Table No Set with it.  Thankfully the answer was "not too terribly far..."

Round 1
GHP Level 2 (RGC 61) - Both Hands
GHP Level 3 (RGC 70) - Both Hands
GHP Level 4 (RGC 87) - Both Hands

Round 2
GHP Level 5 (RGC 110) - Right Hand Only

Round 3
Silarukov 100 (RGC 117) - Right Hand Only

Musical Inspiration:  "Milk" and "March of the S.O.D." by S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death) from the album "Speak English or Die" released in August 1985.

• Like 6

First Time Pinching Two 35s 08-28-2024

I recently purchased @Jedd Johnson's "How to Pinch 2x45s Ebook" and watched @Ben Helms' "The Gold Standard Challenge" video and decided to give pinching two 35s a go.  I mean...the timing couldn't have been more perfect for this book and challenge to pop up.

So this was nothing fancy...just quickly cleaned and chalked a pair of plates and tried them cold.  Maybe not the best idea I've ever had, but at least they went up and I've got a starting point for my journey to pinching two 45s.

NOTE 1:  This was actually my third lift with my left hand.  The first one I didn't have a camera.  The second time I grabbed my camera and lifted them again with my left, but tried and failed with my right hand.  So I recorded it again with just my left (which is this video).

NOTE 2:  After this video, I tried and failed with three 25s and two slick 45s.  So I clearly have my work cut out for me.  But everyone starts somewhere.

BONUS ROUND:  Since I eventually warmed up from pinching plates and blobs are part of the Gold/Silver challenges, I rolled out my York 100 NextGen for a quick practice lift with each hand.

Musical Inspiration:  "Refuse to Bow Down" by Black Label Society from the album "1919★Eternal" released in March 2002.

• Like 8

Hey Doug, Nice work. Very impressive lift

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, Nice work. Very impressive lift

Thank you, John!  As always, I appreciate your support.

46 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

Looking strong Doug!

Thank you, Ben!  You created a great challenge and I want to work up to it.  Haven't even tried half of these feats before, but I'm not going to let that stop me.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thank you, Ben!  You created a great challenge and I want to work up to it.  Haven't even tried half of these feats before, but I'm not going to let that stop me.

Which ones haven’t you tried?

10 minutes ago, Ben Helms said:

Which ones haven’t you tried?

Up until yesterday I had never tried to pinch two plates.  Still haven't done any bending or know much about it.

Hubs I have attempted in the medleys at Maryland's Strongest Hands in 2023 and 2024, but don't train because my slick/sloped Ivanko's are less than ideal for this feat.

So it would have been more accurate for me to say it was one third of the feats I had not tried plus one feat I do not train.

• Like 2

On the bright side, I'm optimistic about the other items:

• Like 5

Good stuff.  Do you feel like you're getting some good info out of the How to Pinch 2x45s ebook?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Good stuff.  Do you feel like you're getting some good info out of the How to Pinch 2x45s ebook?

I can point to at least three specific things from the ebook--just with my hand placement alone---that I tried to implement.

And I believe that information was key to me getting a decent baseline lift yesterday instead of a failed attempt.

• Like 3

Nice bro, glad to hear it.

• Like 1

I too bought Jedd's "How to Pinch 2-45s ebook" and like Doug, hand positioning was an immediate benefit. Still pouring through the book. Same with "Lift the Blob". Hand positioning and Training Structure were the keys that contributed to successful lifts with the Fatman Blob. Both books are full of helpful information.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joseph Hilton said:

I too bought Jedd's "How to Pinch 2-45s ebook" and like Doug, hand positioning was an immediate benefit. Still pouring through the book. Same with "Lift the Blob". Hand positioning and Training Structure were the keys that contributed to successful lifts with the Fatman Blob. Both books are full of helpful information.

Happy to hear I'm not the only one finding a ton of value in Jedd's books.  I'm still pouring through the book as well.  At 117 pages, it covers a lot of ground.

• Like 1

Pinching two 35s plus 5lb in magnets 08-30-2024

Round 2 of pinching two 35s.  This time I was properly warmed up, so I decided to add 5lbs in magnets for progressive overload.

Musical Inspiration:  "Firestarter" by The Prodigy from the album "The Fat of the Land" released in June 1997.

• Like 2

Ball and Chain Grip Training Tool 08-30-2024

The idea of this collection of odd iron implements is accommodating resistance.  Specifically, with this setup I can lift more total weight because I don't have to break it off the floor all at once.  The ball slowly gets heavier until the entire chain is supported.  Only tricky part was I needed a 12" plyo box to get a good range of motion for the chain.

Musical Inspiration:  "Breathe" by The Prodigy from the album "The Fat of the Land" released in June 1997.

• Like 4

WAY SUPER COOL Doug

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

WAY SUPER COOL Doug

Thanks John! Mixing it up...

• Like 1