Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

You definitely earned it. date night with the wife and the margarita.

Sounds like a great day.

Yeah..great stuff.  Today was fun, too.  But only an hour of tossing kids because my elbow started to hurt.  So we switched to towing kids around the pool in floatie rings (or whatever those blowups are called).

• Like 2

One Hand Lift with 1¼” Vertical Bar 218.30lb Total 08-13-2024

Only worked up to 180lb added (185.55lb total) again with my 2½" JUG.  So I skipped over 2" V-bar and went straight to my super grippy/super skinny Steadfast V-bar to put in some more work.  This was the most weight I could feasibly fit onto the deficit loading pin, and frankly it felt plenty heavy.

Musical Inspiration:  "Psychosocial" by Slipknot from the album "All Hope Is Gone" released in August 2008.

• Like 4

Backwards Blob Lift Attempts - York 90 and NextGen 100 08-13-2023

For today's training, I turned my blobs around backwards and attempted them the harder way.  Got as far as the Pre-USA York 90 okay with my left hand.  But the NextGen 100 put up a bit of a fight.  The struggle is real.

Musical Inspiration:  "The Struggle Within" by Metallica from the album "Metallica" (commonly known as "The Black Album") released in August 1991.

• Like 7

Armlifting Greece Olympian Gripper (123 RGC) 08-16-2024

Horrible camerawork.  Misfire as well.  But this is the best this gripper has ever felt so it still seems like progress.

Musical Inspiration:  "Attack Of The Iguana" by Hallows Eve from the album "Death & Insanity" released in August 1986.

• Like 5

On 8/16/2024 at 7:12 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Armlifting Greece Olympian Gripper (123 RGC) 08-16-2024

Horrible camerawork.  Misfire as well.  But this is the best this gripper has ever felt so it still seems like progress.

Just for context as to why I'm excited about closing a (beginner) gripper only rated 123:  after injuring my right hand earlier this year, I was humbled by a Gillingham High Performance Level 4 (RGC 87) on March 28th.

So I'm just happy to be back on track after being derailed for a couple months earlier this year.  And I finally feel like I can start making forward progress rather than recovering and rebuilding.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just for context as to why I'm excited about closing a (beginner) gripper only rated 123:  after injuring my right hand earlier this year, I was humbled by a Gillingham High Performance Level 4 (RGC 87) on March 28th.

So I'm just happy to be back on track after being derailed for a couple months earlier this year.  And I finally feel like I can start making forward progress rather than recovering and rebuilding.

That’s great Doug!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s great Doug!

Thanks Joe!

23 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

That's some great progress, man. Injuries freaking suck! 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

That's some great progress, man. Injuries freaking suck! 

Thanks man!  Just glad it wasn't any worse than it was...

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks man!  Just glad it wasn't any worse than it was...

Oh for sure.  I've thankfully never had anything catastrophic happen, and my injuries have been training related. My worst was an A2 pulley injury in my left hand that set me back to closing an IM #1 at a time when I was closing 120+ RGC with that hand. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Oh for sure.  I've thankfully never had anything catastrophic happen, and my injuries have been training related. My worst was an A2 pulley injury in my left hand that set me back to closing an IM #1 at a time when I was closing 120+ RGC with that hand. 

You seem to have bounced back ok.  Saw some solid closes on your channel the other day.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

You seem to have bounced back ok.  Saw some solid closes on your channel the other day.

Oh yeah, that happened back in 2016/2017 before I took my really long break around residency and fellowship (~2017-2023). 

• Like 1

Unsupported Cable Rows with 60lb Weight Vest 08-19-2024

When I tried loading more than 115lb on the cable rows, I ended up pulling myself off the bench.  So this was an experiment with a 60lb weight vest to allow me to row more weight.

Unfortunately I think this variation cut short the range of motion too much to be a good long-term solution.  But technically it did work...I was able to stay solidly on the bench with more weight on the loading pin.

Row Round 1
Close Grip Rows - 1 ¼” Handles - 125lb x 10 reps
Zottman Curls - York Roundhead Dumbbells with 2 ¾” Grips - 25lb x 10 reps
Front/Lat Raises - York Roundhead Dumbbells - 15lb x 9 reps each
Monster Grip Triangle - 2" Handles - 125lb x 10 reps

Row Round 2
M10 Attachment - 1 ¼” Handles - 125lb x 10 reps
Super Bar Reverse Curls - 63.5lb x 10 reps
Front/Lat Raises - York Roundhead Dumbbells - 15lb x 9 reps each
Pinch Block Rows - 2” x 3” Handles - 125lb x 10 reps

Musical Inspiration:  "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater from the album "Images and Words" released in July 1992.

• Like 3

On a positive note from Pull, Bize, and Trize Day...it does provide a decent arm pump.

Tricep Check 08-19-2024.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

In related news...my nutrition numbers are looking better these days.

Hitting protein goals while keeping carbs and fat in check.

08-20-2024 Nutrition Check.png

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

Sick pump, Doug, and good for you for hitting your macros!
That looks like a big deficit for you, I hope you'll reach your weight goal!👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Sick pump, Doug, and good for you for hitting your macros!
That looks like a big deficit for you, I hope you'll reach your weight goal!👍

Thanks Matek!  Yesterday I may have dipped a little too low on the calorie intake, but I felt fine rather than deprived...so maybe it was ok.

The main point is I need to avoid beer (and snacking) in front of the tv and fast food.

I have a weakness for triple double-bacon-cheeseburgers from McDonalds (three sandwiches combined but using only 1/3 of the bread) and double chicken-bacon sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A (one sandwich with an extra chicken filet).

As you can imagine those sandwiches are calorie/fat bombs...🙄

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Matek!  Yesterday I may have dipped a little too low on the calorie intake, but I felt fine rather than deprived...so maybe it was ok.

The main point is I need to avoid beer (and snacking) in front of the tv and fast food.

I have a weakness for triple double-bacon-cheeseburgers from McDonalds (three sandwiches combined but using only 1/3 of the bread) and double chicken-bacon sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A (one sandwich with an extra chicken filet).

As you can imagine those sandwiches are calorie/fat bombs...🙄

I have a McDonalds hamburger in a bag my grandma purchased in 1988 that still has yet to decompose. It lives in a bag atop my fridge. It's older than me and bugs and bacteria don't even want to eat it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I have a McDonalds hamburger in a bag my grandma purchased in 1988 that still has yet to decompose. It lives in a bag atop my fridge. It's older than me and bugs and bacteria don't even want to eat it. 

WOW!  Tough to think about what that does in/to my body...

• Like 2

That all taste really good. But it’s killing us.

Jack LaLanne once said if man made it don’t need it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

That all taste really good. But it’s killing us.

Jack LaLanne once said if man made it don’t need it.

Yeah...it's like...logically I know the ultra-processed foods are bad/addictive.  But man do some of them taste good.  So it's a struggle.

• Like 1

Heading into the office today for some in-person meetings. And I plan to lighten things up with an informal grip contest.

$5 Starbucks gift card for the strongest dynamometer squeeze (other than me) and a $10 gift card for anyone closing a heavier gripper than me.

Easy money for most people on The GripBoard. I'll be happy if I close my PowerBall 250 (RGC 120) with no chalk.

But these folks don't train grip and sit at a computer all day. And even when I tried to show a few guys how to parallel set a gripper, they go right back to No Set.

• Like 4

On a related note...I'm happy that my suit fits after going off the diet a bit earlier this summer and gaining ten pounds back.

Craziest example is when our oldest (also a vegetarian) went camping for a week and the twins talked me into McDonald's two nights in a row followed by Chick-fil-A and Arby's.  I jokingly called it "meat week" but I easily ate an extra thousand calories a day, everyday. 🙄

Anyway, I'm hoping that the suit pants are a sign that I've gotten things back under control. 😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Heading into the office today for some in-person meetings. And I plan to lighten things up with an informal grip contest.

$5 Starbucks gift card for the strongest dynamometer squeeze (other than me) and a $10 gift card for anyone closing a heavier gripper than me.

Easy money for most people on The GripBoard. I'll be happy if I close my PowerBall 250 (RGC 120) with no chalk.

But these folks don't train grip and sit at a computer all day. And even when I tried to show a few guys how to parallel set a gripper, they go right back to No Set.

So what are you doing with the $10 gift card? I'd expect no one closes that 200.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, kurtwpg said:

So what are you doing with the $10 gift card? I'd expect no one closes that 200.

In that case, I may hold onto it and give it to the first person that can close the Heavy Grips 250 (RGC 105).

Hopefully that's incentive to give grip training a try.

• Like 1