Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

THATS FOR SURE!!!!

• Haha 1

20 minute treadmill hike with 60lb vest 08-05-2024

My favorite 20 minute treadmill hike with Peloton instructor Jess Sims.

The twist is the 60lb vest to increase the output.

Musical Inspiration:  "I'm Walkin'" by Fats Domino from the album "Here Stands Fats Domino" released in March 1957.

• Like 2

I L-O-V-E micro change plates to incrementally increase my lifts.  So when I saw that Grip Genie came out with a unique size/style, I had to have a pair of their .75lb plates.  Pretty cool that they threw some swag in the bag, too!

Grip Genie Change Plates.jpg

• Like 2

Nice , I was looking at those change plates too, they look like they’re well built

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice , I was looking at those change plates too, they look like they’re well built

They seem like they're good quality.  I'd need to weight them to say whether they're super accurate or not.

Building Back Bench Press 08-07-2024

Know this isn't a ton of weight for most people, but after dealing with shoulder impingement and various strains, this is me building back to bench press.  Maybe I'll even need to buy a pair of the new York Legacy dumbbells to keep getting stronger.

Musical Inspiration:  "Push It" by Static-X from the album "Wisconsin Death Trip" released in March 1999.

• Like 2

60-lb Hex Dumbbell and York Legacy 105 Blob 08-07-2024

Lifted the 60-lb hex dumbbell for the first time a few days ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHIZYoeTYs4).  And I lifted the York Legacy 105 blob with my right hand for the first time a month and a half ago or so (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXMgMZdK-Dk).  But this was my first time lifting both of them at the same time.

Musical Inspiration:  "War Ensemble" by Slayer from the album "Seasons in the Abyss" released in October 1990.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Building Back Bench Press 08-07-2024

Know this isn't a ton of weight for most people, but after dealing with shoulder impingement and various strains, this is me building back to bench press.  Maybe I'll even need to buy a pair of the new York Legacy dumbbells to keep getting stronger.

Musical Inspiration:  "Push It" by Static-X from the album "Wisconsin Death Trip" released in March 1999.

You had me at bench press.

This is a ton of weight for most people. Take em to work and find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kurtwpg said:

You had me at bench press.

This is a ton of weight for most people. Take em to work and find out.

Thanks Kurt!  Hard for me to gauge with so many seriously strong people on this forum.

The best I worked up to (pre-shoulder impingement issue) was a pair of 85lb rubber hex dumbbells and three pounds of add-on plates per dumbbell.

But every time I'd feel froggy and try to jump to a pair of hundos, I'd lay back and couldn't get the dumbbells out of the bottom position.  😞

So I'm kind of taking my time to build back slowly, making sure my range of motion is ok, etc rather than trying to go at it full throttle, chasing a big number.

• Like 2

Hey Doug, good for you, small steps 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, good for you, small steps 

Thanks John!  Trying to be patient  ...  which isn't always my approach.  🙄

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2024 at 7:49 PM, John Knowlton said:

On 8/5/2024 at 7:52 PM, Douglas Carney said:

They seem like they're good quality.  I'd need to weigh them to say whether they're super accurate or not.

Sorry for the delay.  Finally got back to this...both Grip Genie change plates were bang on according to my scale.  Hope this helps.

Grip Genie Change Plates - Weight.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

NON-GRIP RELATED

Watched an hour-long, work-related webinar on the treadmill today.

Nothing crazy.  No weight vest.  Just 2% incline and 2mph speed.

Still...I burned more calories than I would have sitting in a chair.

I need to make this a consistent, healthy habit instead of a random, ad hoc event.

Walk 08-08-2024.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:06 AM, Douglas Carney said:

, I went to the pool and threw multiples kids around from 2PM to 6PM.  A couple of them were younger/lighter but my twins weigh about 50 pounds each.

Was super fun but probably not the best idea for my elbows, tendons, and triceps.  And it definitely didn't help that I was at the pool throwing kids around again yesterday afternoon.

Funny how them “non workout” fitness tests build either long term strength or nagging pain.  My three boys are now 16, 13, and 12.  I miss being able to launch them in a pool… but they can swim circles awound me now!

• Like 3

Unprecedented occasion that my daughters and I got my wife to try the GHP Junior grippers and a couple of lighter IronMind Zenith grippers last night while watching Olympic coverage.

Not saying my wife suddenly fully embraces all of my grip purchases.  But I think she had fun gripping with the girls, so that was something new and cool to see.

Posted (edited)

P.S.  I kept going and got my Zenith #3 down around 1/4".  Feels like Iron Standard Gripper territory which is an improvement for me.

NOTE:  This estimate is consistent with an old thread by @Cannon about rating Zenith grippers.

Speaking of estimates, the Agility feels as weak as he says in that thread.  Except for a little struggle with the width, my seven year old daughter closed and held it for a while.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

10 minute treadmill warmup 08-09-2024

My favorite 10 minute treadmill warmup with Peloton (@OnePeloton) instructor Rebecca Kennedy (https://www.onepeloton.com/instructors/rebeccakennedy).

Musical Inspiration:  "Pay to Cum" the debut single by Washington, D.C.-based hardcore punk band Bad Brains, released in June 1980.

Fun Fact:  The song was featured in the 1985 film "After Hours", directed by Martin Scorsese. It was later featured during the opening credits of the 2006 documentary "American Hardcore".

Hey Doug, are you sure do walk fast nice music

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, are you sure do walk fast nice music

It's all CGI and special effects to make me look fast...hahaha

Guilty of Skipping Leg Day 08-09-2024

Full Disclosure:  I love grip strength and I gravitate to the exercises in Dane Miller's book "Bize and Trize".  And frankly, leg day takes a back seat.

I do some single hand work as part of my grip training, but the result of skipping leg day is painfully obvious.  I am super weak off the floor so it's time to get back to basics.

Deficit Deadlift 255lb
Last time I did deadlifts was May 3, 2024--over three months ago.

Hip Thruster 253lb
Last time I did hip thrusters was July 2, 2021--over three YEARS ago.

Reverse Hyper 230lb
Last time I used the reverse hyper was July 2, 2021--over three YEARS ago.

Musical Inspiration:  "Loser" by 3 Doors Down from the album "The Better Life" released in February 2000.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hey Doug 

way cool Deadlifts

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug 

way cool Deadlifts

Thanks John!  It's a start...

My seven year old twins have four pool parties in the next two weeks.

I'm predicting several hours of overhead press tossing kids in the five foot section of the pool.  hahaha

• Like 1

Great pool day yesterday.  Arms and shoulders were fried by the third hour of tossing kids.  Thankfully in our fourth and final hour, my daughter wanted me to stand in the three foot section of the pool and toss "gems" for her to dive and retrieve.  🫠

For an added workout, last night was date night and my wife and I went for an hour walk before a nice dinner.  Think I earned this margarita...😇🧉

Cadillac Margarita.jpg

Step Count 08-10-2024.png

• Like 2

You definitely earned it. date night with the wife and the margarita.

Sounds like a great day.

• Thanks 1