Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Same here...  My work cafeteria is heavily subsidized (as part of a union agreement) so I got to enjoy an egg white omelet with turkey sausage, tomatoes, and green peppers for $2.50 at breakfast and salad with swordfish fillet for $5.95 at lunch.  It was only dinner that I went off the rails.  hahaha

with meals for that for prices like that.... are they hiring?🤣 I'll do just about anything 

• Haha 1

FULL DISCLOSURE:  Friday nights are the swim team pep rally for the kids...which may mean ordering pizza and enjoying a beer tonight.  So I'm no angel when it comes to food.  It's more about minimizing the damage than preventing it all together.  hahaha

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

with meals for that for prices like that.... are they hiring?🤣 I'll do just about anything 

I know, right?!?  They need to put the menu in their job announcements.  hahaha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

FULL DISCLOSURE:  Friday nights are the swim team pep rally for the kids...which may mean ordering pizza and enjoying a beer tonight.  So I'm no angel when it comes to food.  It's more about minimizing the damage than preventing it all together.  hahaha

Why not. You still gotta live. 

I know people in their 70s going strong who never took care of themselves drank, smoked, worked with asbestos, I know some  that made it to their 80s-90s who lived long healthy lives not taking care of themselves.. and people who really took care of themselves who died In their 30s and 40s...  You never really know.

like you said its all about minimizing the damage and doing the right thing most of the time.

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I know, right?!?  They need to put the menu in their job announcements.  hahaha

haha... sure beats peanut butter and fluff thats sitting in the truck for 4 hours...  Actually I try to do the same thing with chicken, me or my parents will buy chicken, have dinner, my mom will make chicken salad out of left overs and soup out of the carcass, thats good for a few meals for each of us... its easier, and it's cheap ,me and my dad work together anyways.   

• Like 1

Nice , portion Controle and beaning consistent is the key, 

• Thanks 1

First Time Lifting my York Legacy 105 with my Right Hand 06-21-2024

Today was the first time I lifted this to lockout with my right hand.  Happy to see that progress.

Musical Inspiration:  "Almost Easy" by Avenged Sevenfold from the album "Avenged Sevenfold" released in October 2007.

• Like 5

Nice work Doug , you made that look easy 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug , you made that look easy 

Thanks John!  Might have looked easy, but my right hand is hit or miss on a Pre-USA 90.  Yesterday just happened to be a really good blob day (for my right hand only).

• Like 1

Massive blob cut up today...😂🤣😅

Reasons for dismembering a poor defenseless dumbbell:

(a) I had a lonely 30 sitting around gathering dust.

(b) My OCD didn't like starting a blob run with an odd number.

(c) I could use this to start the kids on blob training.

(d) All of the above.

Blob 30 - Before and After.jpg

• Like 2

New life to the lonely dumbell, 

• Thanks 1

Nice. Try side raises with them (thumbs facing up). 🙃

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

New life to the lonely dumbell, 

Yes!  I have a matched pair of 30s (in a little better shape) so this thing was a completely neglected.  Now it has new life!

5 hours ago, matek said:

Nice. Try side raises with them (thumbs facing up). 🙃

Seems like a great idea!  This is the first opportunity I have for a matched set.  All of my other Yorks have been one-off purchases from eBay or The GripBoard.

This is the first York I've ever cut (because frankly I didn't think a slightly bent single 30 would be missed all that much...so I didn't really worry about the historical or financial value of it).

• Like 3

Brian Shaw Style Blob Run 06-25-2024

Brian Shaw's video, The Super Grip Gauntlet, was a huge influence for me and the catalyst for me getting into lifting blobs in my 50s.  Just looked like a whole lotta fun.

So tonight I decided to roll out everything I had...from half a York 30lb dumbbell up to half of Legacy 125...just to see how I compare to the folks fortunate enough to visit his gym and train with the 4x World's Strongest Man.

Musical Inspiration:  "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica from the album "Ride the Lightning" released in July 1984.

• Like 5

That is super cool Doug, you have the coolest gym

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work on the blob run  @Douglas Carney . Id take training with you in your gym any day of the week over Brian Shaws.

He does have a cool gym. I'm really itching to buy a house so I can expand my gym. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Thanks John!  I have a little bit of blob addiction.

10 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work on the blob run  @Douglas Carney . Id take training with you in your gym any day of the week over Brian Shaws.

He does have a cool gym. I'm really itching to buy a house so I can expand my gym. 

Thanks Joe!  Brian has a lot more space and some pretty cool stuff.  But my gym is my happy place...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Vintage Dumbbell, York Krusher, Blob and Baby Inch Workout 06-28-2024

Dumbbell Decline Bench Press – 70lb York Roundheads

My favorite bench press variation and exercise to do before blob lifting to get everything firing.  I'm not trying to max out, so this rep range feels ok to me.

York Krusher with Two Big Springs – First Time Closing These

I got this thing about five months ago, but this is my first time closing it with two of the heavy-duty springs I bought online.  Going to take some time to work up to ten reps.

York 100 NextGen Blob – First Time Right Hand

Pretty sure this is the first time I picked up the NextGen to lockout with my right hand and a conventional pinch grip.  Prior to this it was just the occasional face pick for a combo feat.

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” – Can Lift Attempt

First tried this feat back in October and the front can was just as uncooperative back then.  Not sure what exactly is wrong with my technique that just the back can stays on.

Musical Inspiration:  "Runnin' Down a Dream" by Tom Petty from the album "Full Moon Fever" released in April 1989.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Vintage Dumbbell, York Krusher, Blob and Baby Inch Workout 06-28-2024

Dumbbell Decline Bench Press – 70lb York Roundheads

My favorite bench press variation and exercise to do before blob lifting to get everything firing.  I'm not trying to max out, so this rep range feels ok to me.

York Krusher with Two Big Springs – First Time Closing These

I got this thing about five months ago, but this is my first time closing it with two of the heavy-duty springs I bought online.  Going to take some time to work up to ten reps.

York 100 NextGen Blob – First Time Right Hand

Pretty sure this is the first time I picked up the NextGen to lockout with my right hand and a conventional pinch grip.  Prior to this it was just the occasional face pick for a combo feat.

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” – Can Lift Attempt

First tried this feat back in October and the front can was just as uncooperative back then.  Not sure what exactly is wrong with my technique that just the back can stays on.

Musical Inspiration:  "Runnin' Down a Dream" by Tom Petty from the album "Full Moon Fever" released in April 1989.

great workout great song, one of my favorites. "Full Moon Fever" is one of my favorite albums of all time. 

As for the can lift attempt,  Perhaps you are just favor the back globe while lifting and the front drops enough to lose that can. 

I wonder If doing drills with a weighted magnet on just the front globe would help.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

great workout great song, one of my favorites. "Full Moon Fever" is one of my favorite albums of all time. 

As for the can lift attempt,  Perhaps you are just favor the back globe while lifting and the front drops enough to lose that can. 

I wonder If doing drills with a weighted magnet on just the front globe would help.

I still vividly remember hearing this song for the first time.  Was on Saturday Night Live May 20, 1989.  Couple weeks before I graduated high school.  (Yeah...I'm old. 🧓)

Appreciate the idea about putting a magnet on the front globe.  Might need to try that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Obviously, this would count as a level lift, but this coke can thing requires it to be perfectly level.
The bells don't clear the floor at the same time, so you start it just a tiny bit tilted (1st pic). Then you compensate and make it perfectly level (2nd pic). This tiny tilt>compensation actually happens one more time, and that's just too much moving around for this feat.
I've never tried this, but considering the mechanics of it, I would
1. move more forward, to make the center of the bell closer to my center, and "lock" my back to a position I don't change, and do the lift entirely with the legs to make sure I lift in a straight line
2. do it slower

Just my thoughts

I'm sure you will get it very, very soon👍

1i.png

2i.png

Edited by matek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, matek said:

Obviously, this would count as a level lift, but this coke can thing requires it to be perfectly level.
The bells don't clear the floor at the same time, so you start it just a tiny bit tilted (1st pic). Then you compensate and make it perfectly level (2nd pic). This tiny tilt>compensation actually happens one more time, and that's just too much moving around for this feat.
I've never tried this, but considering the mechanics of it, I would
1. move more forward, to make the center of the bell closer to my center, and "lock" my back to a position I don't change, and do the lift entirely with the legs to make sure I lift in a straight line
2. do it slower

Just my thoughts

I'm sure you will get it very, very soon👍

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, Matek!

I'm going to watch a couple of @ZRMMA's can video to see how slow he goes.

But I'm guessing my issue is more in the mechanics of where I'm placing my hand or how I'm moving my body rather than speed.

Either way...I think my best strategy overall is to keep getting stronger.  🤔

• Like 2

Nice work Doug, very impressive.

As always great music 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug, very impressive.

As always great music 

Thank you so much, John!

Laying off pressing for a bit.

After Friday's "Vintage Dumbbell, York Krusher, Blob and Baby Inch Workout" above, I went to the pool and threw multiples kids around from 2PM to 6PM.  A couple of them were younger/lighter but my twins weigh about 50 pounds each.

Was super fun but probably not the best idea for my elbows, tendons, and triceps.  And it definitely didn't help that I was at the pool throwing kids around again yesterday afternoon.

Liniment seemed to help overnight but nowhere near 100%.  Right arm feels worse than my left.  Hopefully it will be better by July 4th because that will be a full day at the pool with the kids...

• Like 2