Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

29 minutes ago, Luke Blackwell said:

True. After my big lunch, I feel like napping under a car where the boss can't see 

image.thumb.jpeg.c83dd989339c8cfdf000ac60c00fa864.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have done that

• Like 2

Snacktown Squeeze Fest Part Deux - Doug Carney's Lifts 10-06-2024

Took part in this comp despite the partial A4 pulley tear in my left hand.  Middle finger is irritated and inflamed, but none the worse for wear.

Here's a rundown of my best lifts:

Event #1 - 2" Apollon's Axle by IronMind - 250lb

Event #2 - 2" Saxon Bar by Arm Assassin Strength Shop - 140lb (Dropped 160lb)

Event #3 - 2.25" Crusher Handle by Fat Bastard Barbell Company - 185lb

Event #4 - 2.5" Pretzel Rod by Nemesis Grips - 190lb

• Like 5

I can't be competitive in a grip competition, but if it was held in a place called Snacktown I'd go anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

way cool Doug

looks like a great day.

Very incredible lifts, even with an injury you did great

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

way cool Doug

looks like a great day.

Very incredible lifts, even with an injury you did great

Thanks John!  So.Much.Fun.Yesterday.

Just thankful to even be able to lift a bit.  Probably left a few pounds on the table here and there either from lack of training or my finger acting up.  But still so great to hang out with awesome people.

The Crusher and Pretzel Rod (kind of a tall JUG with dimples) felt particularly good.  Very happy with where I landed on those.  Overall great day!

• Like 2

Unboxing my Custom Atomgripz Stainless Steel 303z 4 Band Gripper 10-10-2024

@lloyd80s of Atomgripz created a new line of grippers named the 303z after the stainless steel used for the knurled handles.  Customizable options include-Handle Spread, Handle Mount, and Spring Finish.

I went with a narrow spread and mid mount 4 Band to get a gripper about credit card width and a rating somewhere between 130 and 140 pounds.  The carbon grey steel spring was purely an aesthetic choice and achieved the exact look I wanted.

This video is my initial impressions of the gripper (absolutely awesome) and first attempt to close it (not quite there yet).  I plan on having it rated by @Cannon at Cannon PowerWorks to know exactly where Lloyd and I landed, but it feels perfect to me.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

Shoot Doug you are almost there. Nice 👍 

cool looking gripper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Shoot Doug you are almost there. Nice 👍 

cool looking gripper

Thanks John!  Right hand felt pretty good yesterday, so perfect timing for a first attempt.  😊

• Like 2

30lb Ammo Can Lift - 80 Reps at Age 53 10-12-2024

First time attempting the Ammunition Can Lift from the Marine Corps Combat Fitness Test, a series of high intensity workouts that test a Marine's readiness for the physical rigors of combat operations.

Bought an old ammo can from eBay, added grit tape and as much sand that would fit.  Total weight was only 28.65lb according to my scale but seemed close enough for an initial assessment.

At 53 years old, the minimum score is 16 reps according to the current standards.  So 80 reps seems like a decent start.

Musical Inspiration:  "Shades of War" by Testament from the album "Low" released in October 1994.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

First time attempting the Ammunition Can Lift from the Marine Corps Combat Fitness Test, a series of high intensity workouts that test a Marine's readiness for the physical rigors of combat operations.

Bought an old ammo can from eBay, added grit tape and as much sand that would fit.  Total weight was only 28.65lb according to my scale but seemed close enough for an initial assessment.

At 53 years old, the minimum score is 16 reps according to the current standards.  So 80 reps seems like a decent start.

Musical Inspiration:  "Shades of War" by Testament from the album "Low" released in October 1994.

That's good stuff

• Thanks 1

Supper Doug strikes again 

very impressive 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Nice work Doug.

don’t score too high on that Combat Fitness Test

Uncle Sam might want you back🤣

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Luke Blackwell said:

That's good stuff

Thanks Luke!  Was searching for ideas on fitness benchmarks/tests and what better place to start than the military?

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Supper Doug strikes again 

very impressive 

Thanks John!  I need to incorporate more general physical preparedness into my workouts.  Think my two hand lifts will benefit from me being in better shape overall.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work Doug.

don’t score too high on that Combat Fitness Test

Uncle Sam might want you back🤣

Thanks Joe!  When they see my two mile run score, they may change their minds about bringing me back.  hahaha

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

When they see my two mile run score, they may change their minds about bringing me back.  hahaha

Lol. But when they need the new shipment of ammo cans stocked, you know who they're calling👌

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2024 at 1:43 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Finally got around to Step 1 of organizing and cataloging my gripper collection.  Today I put together a list of FORTY gripper that I need to have rated by @Cannon🤪

Step 2 is to install additional hooks in the wood shelves in my gym (on the cable attachment side behind the trap bar) and start hanging the loose, rated grippers I currently have sitting on IronMind caddies.

Step 3 will be to enter those into a spreadsheet to be merged with the list I created for Matt.

And finally Step 4 will be to work in the grippers that come back from Minnesota based on their ratings.

I'm sure my wife would appreciate a Step 5 to downsize by selling off any duplicates but I need to see where I land first.  🤔

@Cannon has everything rated and ready to go, but I'm still at step 2.  🙄  Looks like I need to install 40 or so hooks this afternoon.

Matt was kind enough to email me all of the ratings, so I can leave spaces to work stuff in when they arrive.  H-u-g-e help for steps 3 & 4.

But me being me...I already have some more grippers that need rating.  hahaha

I especially want to see  where that beautiful 4 Band from @lloyd80s lands.  Guessing 130 at best unless I was having a really good gripper day.

• Like 2

Organized and cataloged my rated grippers in preparation for the batch that should soon return home.

By my count I'll have 118 rated (including 8 at work) and 9 recent additions to send to Matt (for 127 grippers total).

RatedGrippers10-14-2024.thumb.jpg.bc60419c827c37a024249362fb2b0c8f.jpg

• Like 4

NOTE:  That number will likely go lower.  Ex. I probably don't "need" nearly identical CoC Trainer - #2.5 grippers (unless I take more grippers to work).

That’s a nice collection of grippers 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

That’s a nice collection of grippers 

Thanks John! I have all of the rated ones in a spreadsheet now.  I can post a copy after I send a few recent additions to get rated.

A4 Pulley Update - Yesterday marked four weeks since my workout ended abruptly with a partial pulley tear.

And I noticed this morning that it no longer hurts to tie my shoes (something in the way I had to hold or move the laces didn't feel so good for a few weeks) and I absent-mindedly grabbed two half gallons of milk (full glass bottles) without any issue.

All this to say I'm hoping this means I'm on track to ease back into grip workouts (particularly blobs) after Halloween.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Luke Blackwell said:

Thats good. Hope you keep improving man

Thanks Luke. Appreciate the support.

• Like 2