Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yes walking has been great. There’s some nasty turkeys in my neighborhood. Coyotes run away. The turkeys hiss and come after me.

Hate turkeys, the geese by me are absolute goobers though. They are the worst. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, matek said:

turkeys are total jerks

Sure are.. They attack me at stop signs. I think they see their reflection in my truck and attack it. 

26 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Hate turkeys, the geese by me are absolute goobers though. They are the worst. 

Swans too.. As a kid I read "The Trumpet of the Swan" in school and thought they where nice and chill.. Nope those things will attack. 

If I lived in an area that supported guns and hunting you could keep a well stocked freezer.  But you can't even say the word gun around here. Would also help with predator control and stop deer and rabbits from ruining peoples gardens.. But what do I know..

• Like 1

THAT SUCKS

Sounds like you live in California 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

THAT SUCKS

Sounds like you live in California 

California sneezes, Massachusetts catches a cold, mutates it and sends it back affecting the other states on its way back west. 

This morning lower back drills, bought a 10lbs ankle weight to do some things... All and all its getting better but it still nagging me. 

Archer push ups, chin ups, ring rows and ring push ups, lunges

Weaker with the strand pulling to a little bit just did low reps up to 5 springs.

I just did warm up lifts with the 3x4 NN again and 2" NN thumbless dead lift. 2.5" crusher did singles up to 115... I am noticing lifting doesn't hurt... setting the weight DOWN is when I feel pain.  If I put more pressure on the outside of the feet vs in the inside the pain is minimized.

All and all it was still a good session very humid and worked up a nice sweat.

My brother starts PT today for his back maybe I'll steal his moves..

• Like 6

This morning

10 minutes of lower back drills. I tried one where I was doing back bridges with my feet on my foam roller and then as I went up id roll my feet out and back in on the way down... Even the roughly 10 minutes I've been doing  have really helped open things up for me down there.. Stuff seems to be going better and I'll up the intensity. 

Archer pushups, pull ups, diamond push ups.  

Chest Expander tried some new stuff, hit my traps and front deltoids big time. 

Plate Curls 

Left 21x3 22x3 21x3

Right 21x3 21x3 21x3

Plate curl negs

22.5x3 25x3 25x3 both hands

Wrist plate curls

Left 17.5x5 18.5x5 18.5x5

Right 17.5x5 16x5 16x5.  righty was not liking these had to drop weight a bit

Sledge pronation/supination 

11"x5 3 sets both hands

Chest Krusher 4 springs  (going to get my a$$ in gear and make that 5 springs)

Wrist Developer 3 sets of 3 level 2-2 orange springs just for fun

plate curling is my new favorite thing.

• Like 4

Nice work Joe 

• Thanks 1

Just and early morning walk with one of my nephews this morning 

weather is terrible. I feel like I’m in a crockpot 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Just and early morning walk with one of my nephews this morning 

weather is terrible. I feel like I’m in a crockpot 

NOTE:  I'm checking "like" for time with your nephew, not the crockpot weather.  🫠

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

NOTE:  I'm checking "like" for time with your nephew, not the crockpot weather.  🫠

Thanks Doug. Tonight it’s coronas and messing with them in the pool. 

• Like 2

Nice just don’t get pool water in your Beer. Not saying it’s ever happened to me, but it’s not good 

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice just don’t get pool water in your Beer. Not saying it’s ever happened to me, but it’s not good 

funny you say that it happened a few times tonight and I wasn't nice about it🤣..

lime is good in a Corona, pool water not so much.

• Like 2

back drills

chest Krusher good volume with 4 springs

Strand pulling focused on heavy singles and doubes

COC 2 sets of 3 #1 gripper

3 singles #1.5 gripper both hands 

Blobtop

left 19x1 5 sets

right 17x1 17x1 16.5x1 16.5x1 16.5x1

diamond push ups archer push ups chin ups. 

I still don’t feel comfortable lifting or bending over so I did some gripper work instead. It sucks.

40 minute walk and 20 minutes of stretching 

• Like 3

Nice grip work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice grip work.

Thanks John. I know I keep going back and forth but I may have to take a break from thick bar lifting for a bit and perhaps do gripper day, plate curl day and blob top day.

instead of just using warm up weights every week for the time being. My time is better spent  focusing on getting my back strong and improving on other areas of grip that won't aggravate my back.  It's at like 85% of what it was so it's really improved but my gut tells me I'll keep aggravating it unless I give extra time to heal and strengthen it. 

• Like 2

2000m on the rower. 20 minutes of stretching and a 15 minute walk with these three stooges this morning IMG_1908.thumb.jpeg.a9db57a0ddfbfcb1d4037859d88db897.jpeg

• Like 3

THE MOTLEY CREW, Trouble times 3

• Haha 2

Vulcan V2 Orange spring 20mm setblock

1-1x3

1-2 x3

2-2x3

2-3x3

3-3x3

both hands

COC 1.5 

Left

1x 1/8th 

1 xclosed

1x1/8th

Right

1xclosed

1x1/8th

1xclosed

calisthenics  and strand pulling... My neck has been bothering me and I know  its from leaning my head to far forward when using the expanders. 

10 minute walk after to cool down

Have a new routine... Kind of nice doing something different for a change, not moving weight plates around.. Would be great to close my 2.5 before returning to thick bar. 

• Like 5

This morning 30 minutes 4250m rowed very slow and careful of my form.. 25 minute walk and 15 minutes of yoga

Back is slowly getting there..Tomorrow or Friday I have 52 80lbs bags or even more if I get 60lbs bags to carry to the back of a customers house... 7 4 foot deep footings to dig.. Luckily managed to get an auger for the mini excavator so I won't have to dig them by hand unless I hit rock.  I'd normally eat this alive but with my back and his weather its gonna suck.

here's a couple closes from yesterday

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

This morning 30 minutes 4250m rowed very slow and careful of my form.. 25 minute walk and 15 minutes of yoga

Back is slowly getting there..Tomorrow or Friday I have 52 80lbs bags or even more if I get 60lbs bags to carry to the back of a customers house... 7 4 foot deep footings to dig.. Luckily managed to get an auger for the mini excavator so I won't have to dig them by hand unless I hit rock.  I'd normally eat this alive but with my back and his weather its gonna suck.

here's a couple closes from yesterday

Solid closes, Joe!

And happy to hear the back is getting better!

I don't know about the weather forecast up your way...but Friday is supposed to be a bit cooler here in Maryland.  I'd push a day...if you can...to avoid the peak of this heat wave.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Solid closes, Joe!

And happy to hear the back is getting better!

I don't know about the weather forecast up your way...but Friday is supposed to be a bit cooler here in Maryland.  I'd push a day...if you can...to avoid the peak of this heat wave.

Thanks Doug, working on my technique now. This will be my first time every seriously training with grippers.

yup one more till it cools down and the humidity goes. It’s not me I worry so much about as it is my dad. He shouldn’t be out in it.

• Like 2

NICE WORK ON THE GRIPPERS

Be careful today, no setbacks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

NICE WORK ON THE GRIPPERS

Be careful today, no setbacks

Thanks John, thats the plan. It shouldn't be bad.. I've got a mixer, mixing concrete by hand isn't bad but anything after 30 takes too much time.  

The hydraulic hoses are slightly undersized for the augur attachment on mini excavator but should work fine... Been messing around with that all morning trying to get everything hooked up.  As long as everything works like it's supposed to should be pretty easy.  

• Like 3

Plate curls 

left 22.5x3 3 sets 

right 21x3 23.5x3 21x3

plate curl negs

22.5x3 25x3 25x3 both hands 

wrist plate curls 

left 17.5x5 18.5x5 18.5x5

right 16x5 17.5x5 17.5x5

sledge pronation supination

11”x5 12”x5 12”x5

Calisthenics