matek's training log

matek

45 minutes ago, RSC said:

Interesting stuff Matek. I myself have been on a strength training and conditioning routine for almost 12 months now, where I work out once every five days. My work out is designed for not only my age, but also for an outdoor activity that I specialize in. On the day that I train, I work my entire body - forearms included. The reps and set numbers change with each session. Since starting this routine, I have seen notable changes in fitness, strength, and overall size. My bodyweight has also increased from a starting weight of 240lbs, and now currently is up to 270lbs. 

I train my hand grippers the same way, though my HG workout falls on the third day post my above-mentioned gym workout. So essentially, I am training hand grippers the same way - once every five days. Since starting in the new endeavor in the Month of May 2024, I have experienced the same growth when it comes to hand grippers. My rep scheme sees nothing more than 10 reps on the higher end, with the bulk of my work taking place in the 1 to 5 rep range. I continue to assess progress monthly and periodically I make small adjustments in training to assure continuing the upwards growth trend. I am quite addicted to hand strength right now but work equally on as not to let my forward momentum entice me to start overtraining. 

I look forward to seeing how you fare in your own training and hope that you experience similar positive gains as well. 

Nice👍

Edited by Luke Blackwell
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RSC said:

Interesting stuff Matek. I myself have been on a strength training and conditioning routine for almost 12 months now, where I work out once every five days. My work out is designed for not only my age, but also for an outdoor activity that I specialize in. On the day that I train, I work my entire body - forearms included. The reps and set numbers change with each session. Since starting this routine, I have seen notable changes in fitness, strength, and overall size. My bodyweight has also increased from a starting weight of 240lbs, and now currently is up to 270lbs. 

I train my hand grippers the same way, though my HG workout falls on the third day post my above-mentioned gym workout. So essentially, I am training hand grippers the same way - once every five days. Since starting in the new endeavor in the Month of May 2024, I have experienced the same growth when it comes to hand grippers. My rep scheme sees nothing more than 10 reps on the higher end, with the bulk of my work taking place in the 1 to 5 rep range. I continue to assess progress monthly and periodically I make small adjustments in training to assure continuing the upwards growth trend. I am quite addicted to hand strength right now but work equally on as not to let my forward momentum entice me to start overtraining. 

I look forward to seeing how you fare in your own training and hope that you experience similar positive gains as well. 

Thank you!

For a while now, I also assess my max regularly, just one cycle is 2 months in my case.

For a long time, I would've bet that moderate volume with moderate training frequency is the best for me with grippers. But my last cycle when I trained grippers only once per week made me question this. But I feel like if once per week, then I could benefit from a higher volume.

Thanks, and I hope you will continue becoming stronger as well!

Btw if any new guys reading this; I don't recommend a routine like what I just started. I'm not that strong but I'm doing grippers for almost 3 years now (with some off periods, but still) and with everything else grip-related I do, I think my tendons can take the abuse.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, matek said:

if any new guys reading this; I don't recommend a routine like what I just started. I'm not that strong but I'm doing grippers for almost 3 years now (with some off periods, but still) and with everything else grip-related I do, I think my tendons can take the abuse.

You definitely are impressive. I wouldn't recommend your programming to beginners. Like you said, you can handle the abuse. 

I train with 0 programming in mind. And I don't recommend the types of workouts I do to people who are newer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Londonjoseph said:

You definitely are impressive. I wouldn't recommend your programming to beginners. Like you said, you can handle the abuse. 

I train with 0 programming in mind. And I don't recommend the types of workouts I do to people who are newer. 

Thanks London.

I think it depends on the person. Consciously or unconsciously, but you still consider your current condition, recent trends, successes/failures, etc. You're just the "going by the feel" guy, and it works for you because you have experience assessing your condition well. But yeah, not a beginner thing for sure.

And somehow, I have the feeling you don't really warm up properly (sorry if I'm wrong😅), because I was the same in my twenties 😂 But of course you do a lot of stuff at work, so I guess you're already warmed up...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, matek said:

And somehow, I have the feeling you don't really warm up properly (sorry if I'm wrong😅), because I was the same in my twenties 😂 But of course you do a lot of stuff at work, so I guess you're already warmed up...

I hear you there I never warmed up until I had to🤣… 

now I’m like a steam locomotive. Takes me awhile to get going but once I do stay out of my way

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I hear you there I never warmed up until I had to🤣… 

now I’m like a steam locomotive. Takes me awhile to get going but once I do stay out of my way

When bending, it takes me almost 10 mins. 🙃
Edit: nah, even more for sure

Edited by matek
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, matek said:

somehow, I have the feeling you don't really warm up properly (sorry if I'm wrong😅), because I was the same in my twenties 😂 But of course you do a lot of stuff at work, so I guess you're already warmed up...

This is 100% correct lol

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, matek said:

When bending, it takes me almost 10 mins. 🙃
Edit: nah, even more for sure

It’s all in the prep🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DU bending - 1/2 IMPs

- CRS HEX 6mm x 5.7"
- C45 7mm x 7"

Main bend. Took three long hits to put it to 42.8 degrees but nice progress.
If you don't know the material, the closest would be some very hard batch of drill rods.
- Stainless 304H 1/4" x 5.5"
- DR 6.9mm ("I") x 7"

I wanted to do more, but I tore my skin at multiple places. I should have waited a few more days; this was probably too close to the previous session, and I'm new to this half IMP bending.

Edit: I've noticed I was writing 1/2" IMPs for these sessions, obviously I meant 1/2 ahah

20241003.jpg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

Incline bench dumbbell rows
- 6x14 37.5kg/83lb dumbbells

Dumbbell biceps concentration curls
- 6x11 25kg/55lb both arms

Neck curls
- 6x12 20kg/44lb plate
I haven't trained my neck for a while, but I will do it again every week because I really like the results.

Stand pulling
- 6x16 purple band looped

• Like 8

RH - grippers
I felt like my crush had fully recovered from one week ago, so I made the routine even more demanding (mainly volume-wise).
Let's see how I will feel next week.
Warmup
- GD90 Level 1-5 MMS
20mm block set, 3-sec hold on last reps
- 1x3 RGC 120 Filed Standard Adjustable Ti
- 1x2 RGC 143 IM CoC #3
- 1x1 RGC 156 Standard Ni

Choked (bottom)
- 2x2 RGC 162 20mm Stainless Adjustable
- 2x3 RGC 174 10mm Stainless Adjustable

I rested ~10 seconds before the last "rep" of the last set, it seemed safer for avoiding a miss.
I think from next week, I will do the heavier 10mm choked sets before the 20mm choked sets.
20mm block set
- 1x3 RGC 140 GHP #7
- 2x6 RGC 130 Standard Adjustable W

At this point, my crush was really tired...
- 2x6 RGC 120 Filed Standard Adjustable Ti
- 1x16 GD90 filed stoppers Level 4

LH - wrist curls
Blue Fat Gripz, small wrist curls in one-handed dl position, plate rotation stopped
- 8x8 42.5kg/94.7lb

• Like 5

KILLER GRIP WORK

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

KILLER GRIP WORK

Thanks John! Will test my max in 6-7 weeks to see if this kind of routine works work me

• Like 2

DU
1/2 IMPs
- CRS HEX 6mm x 6"
- CRS 9/32" x 7"
- 2x CRS 9/32" x 6"

Leather singles
- CRS 5/16" x 7"
- CRS 5/16" x 6"

I was sick, so I didn't do too much last week. I didn't even have a cold for many years, so it was quite "surprising". When others in the lab had covid, or when wife had influenza, whatever was the case, somehow I was always ok (or just asymptomatic). Well, not this time.
Anyway, about 80% recovered now, but it was still hard to focus on the bends and activate my CNS.

20241015.jpg

• Like 5

That’s ok everyone gets a turn in the barrel.

glad to see you’re getting better 

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

That’s ok everyone gets a turn in the barrel.

glad to see you’re getting better 

Thanks a lot John!

• Like 1

Grippers RH

Warmup
- GD90 Level 1-5 MMS
20mm block set
- 1x5 RGC 120 Filed Standard Adjustable Ti
- 1x3 RGC 145 SMD #4
- 1x1 RGC 156 Standard Ni

I got it for the second try. This sickness got a lot out of me.
Choked (bottom)
- 2x4 RGC 174 10mm Stainless Adjustable
- 2x4 RGC 156 20mm Stainless Adjustable

20mm block set
- 2x2 RGC 140 GHP #7
- 1x5, 1x4 RGC 130 Standard Adjustable W
- 1x5 RGC 130 Standard Adjustable W

20241018.jpg

• Like 6

Great grip work

that is a nice looking line up

• Like 1

Incline bench dumbbell rows
- 5x16 35kg/77.2lb dumbbells

Dumbbell biceps concentration curls
- 5x14 22.5kg/49.6lb both arms
Last 4 reps of the last sets were meh but I was kinda rushing it.

Triceps pushdown
- 5x16 purple band looped

• Like 5

DU 1/2 IMPs
- CRS HEX 6mm x 6" (part of warmup)
- CRS 9/32" x 6.7"
- CRS 9/32" x 6"
- FBBC Stainless Square 1/4" x 7"
- Stainless 304H 1/4" x 5.5"
- DR 9/32" x 7"

LmmlkLI.jpeg

Edited by matek