Win An Emerson Knife

Bill Piche

After lunch, Pat and Steve bent a nail or two in a hotel lobby. A couple of cuties were interested, so they did a mini bendathon for them. They left with wide smiles and a few souveniers.

A great day!

Alan

Attention single guys. Chicks dig grade five bolt benders.

Incidentally, he does sell his grippers right off the table.
Crap, I should have bought that #3. It would have been a perfect interemediate gripper between my #2 and #3 :D
I closed his #2 for him, which he said only 3 people had ever closed.

He did say that, yet all four of us closed it easily. The one he had out felt only a little harder than my BBM.

Great meeting you guys, and finding out where my grippers stand in the scheme of things (both my #2 and #3 are on the hard side). I also go a lot of good bending tips from Pat and Steve, as well as a few nails to try at home from Steve.

Robert

Did you guys try and sandbag the guy?

No. And the challenge is actually more difficult than I thought, even with an average #3. I don't think Mr. Emerson is aware of gripper variation, or he might be tempted to put a really tough #3 out. I only got his #3 down to ~1/4" (and mine to~1/2") under these conditions. At home I was able to get my #3 to <1/4" a few nights ago.

I must say that the challenge is completely legit, just prepare yourself for closing a brand new #3 under what are probably unfamiliar conditions. Emerson is a nice guy with a real interest in grip feats.

Robert

The Emerson #3 that I tried was quite used - it was somewhat dirty, not sharp and clean as you describe. So yeah, I'm thinking you tried another #3.

Congrats to both Pat and Steve for winning the knives!! ;):D:D

Robert,

I believe Mr. Emerson said he was aware that the grippers varied in some degree of strength. I also don't think he is worried about getting a weak #3. With as few #2 closers as he has seen, he is overjoyed to meet someone who can actually close a #3. He wanted pictures of Pat and Steve for his website, because of all the naysayers telling him that the #3 can't humanly be closed. He also had the horseshoe that Pat bent for him, as well as the 60-penny that Steve bent, sitting on his table "for display purposes only". I don't think he'll be selling those anytime soon!

I went to the show on sunday, as I got stuck at work on Saturday. Wish I could have been there for Pat and Steve's bending feats!! So.........I wound up having to give a go at a fresh out of the wrapper #3, and missed by about 1/8 of an inch. Mr. Emerson aked me"did you have some friends here yesterday?!" I told him that I had "corresponded" with the gentlemen that were successful with the #3, and he conveyed to me that he was indeed impressed with Pat and Steve's levels of strength. So.......after about a 15 minute walk around, I came back to try again, but was about 1/4 inch away.........like the Red Sox fans say - next year!!!

Nice try, Mike. I don't think I made made 1/8th. I got it to about 1/4. It's too bad you couldn't make it Saturday. Maybe next year we'll hook up, and put on our own show for Mr. Emerson.

Alan

Nice try, Mike. I don't think I made made 1/8th. I got it to about 1/4. It's too bad you couldn't make it Saturday. Maybe next year we'll hook up, and put on our own show for Mr. Emerson.

Alan

Yeah Mike, it's a shame we missed you. We had a great time hooking up with Robert and seeing Alan again. Another time I'm sure, and I expect you guys to win some knives!

• 2 months later...

O.K., I finally made it into the magazine! :yikes:bow

Blade magazine, March 2004 issue... page 30, bottom left hand corner of the page. That's where you'll see my ugly mug. They did a bit of editing on the writeup, but I'm happy. :happy

Nice job, Snott. Closing a tough gripper without a warmup is great! Being recognized for it and getting a knife for your efforts is even better!

Nice job, Snott. Closing a tough gripper without a warmup is great! Being recognized for it and getting a knife for your efforts is even better!

Thanks. It was waiting for someone to conquer it... I stepped up to the plate.

I took the magazine to work today and showed some of my co-workers my appearance in the magazine. They were in awe of me, as usual! :tongue:laugh

snott good job bro. this emerson challenge is what originally got me involved with the COC................ :bow:tongue