2002 # 3 Vs. 2003 # 3

tmmicklabs

I have found several that have been able to sweep a #3 down fairly far and not be able to fullly close either the #2 or #3

I have a friend who could get the #3 down to less than 1/2" and could not close a #1 when he began training with grippers. He still can't close the #2 after a few monthes of training :erm Very strong sweep but no close. He is a fairly strong lifter who can almost bench 2*BW.

the strength needed to do that is the kind of specific strength that can only be obtained via gripper training IMO

I agree !

I just got my new #3 yesterday. It does have the engraved circle. I'm quite a bit behind most of the members on the gripboard. I can only now on occasion close my #2 cold. And I can't rep it at all. My new #3 however, I can get to past paralel on the first and sometimes the second attempt. Now that I finnally have the #3 I can get into the KTA program I bought a week and a half ago. My original goal gripper was the #2,but once I learned how to hold it properly, I was able to get it closed.

I'm thinking about buying a #3 gripper. Now, if the new #3 gripper is easier... then if I'm able to close the new #3 gripper, will I still get certified? I don't want to be up on the list of over 100 people that have closed the #3 knowing that it was easier then everyone else's.

I'm thinking about buying a #3 gripper. Now, if the new #3 gripper is easier... then if I'm able to close the new #3 gripper, will I still get certified? I don't want to be up on the list of over 100 people that have closed the #3 knowing that it was easier then everyone else's.

Yes you will still get certified; and no the new ones are not easier than the ones in recent years. It just depends on the luck of the draw. As I said in my post above, my thought is that most 3s fall within a fairly consistent range--based on my sampling of 10 or so.

Some have indicated that the older, single stamped #3s are harder as a group than the new ones as a group. I've tried one of those older ones and it was no harder than the other ones I have tried--of course it could have been unusually easy for an older gripper, but I doubt it.

I have squeezed more than twelve COC #2 grippers. All were the same except for two: one was a tad easier (a well used gripper in a base gym that was frequently oiled with CLP!) and one harder (which is one of two #2s I own and it feels like a 2 1/2).

Edited by wells

I've got two of the newer #3's and both are ALOT harder than my PDA .280.

:D

So it maybe a very long time if ever!!

Just read this thread.

Amazing differences in these grippers....and recently we clearly found out that there is a huge difference between an old IM Rolling Thunder and a new IM Rolling Thunder..(I always new there was SOME difference but the reports from competitors...some seasoned grip masters like Wade....indicated HUGE differences)

I'm not going to criticize a couple of 20$ to 25$ products...cheaper than tennis

shoes or a cheap pair of boots or a lifting belt -but it does seem amazing that such devices are used in competition and certification?

But then without IM/M I L O there would not be prize money for the Rolling Thunder championships or a 'real' magazine to put a picture of a certified #3 closure.....thus the quagmire :laugh ...... how much would people be willing to pay-and keep in mind to get the prize money and/or photo in the magazine and name on published list would mean an Iron Mind product-for an accurate Rolling Thunder(more my interest)and an accurate gripper???$35?$45?55$?...$75???$100???per gripper?per Rolling Thunder???

I have a '02 and a '03 #3 and they are almost identical.

I you are reading this thread trying to find out if the new #3's are easier for an in-between gripper, don't waste your time. Just give Warren a call.

-HH

So how many of the 110 certified COC's would be certified if they had to certify on Richard Sorins 1991 Silver Crush # 3 ???

I bet the list would be pretty short.

The only person I know of that can close it besides Richard is Heath Sexton.

So how many of the 110 certified COC's would be certified if they had to certify on Richard Sorins 1991 Silver Crush # 3 ???

I bet the list would be pretty short.

The only person I know of that can close it besides Richard is Heath Sexton.

who knows... but unless that gripper is as hard a #4, I'm quite sure there are many more than just Heath and Richard that can close it, including almost anyone who can do a no set close with a #3. No doubt the list would likely be shorter though.

Amaury,

I have tried three different #3. First, my 2001 #3 (the one I certified on). Next, Pat Lemieux's #3, a 94 or 95 model. Same strength as my 2001. Third, my 2003 #3, which is harder than the two others I've tried.

I closed all #3 I tried. I don't say I can close ALL the #3 out there.

A page from Randall Strossen's Diary - October 1, 2010

"It was a unusual day today. We just produced a whole new batch of grippers and I'm wondering if we're doing something wrong. I just don't understand all the fuss, I mean, we officially certified over 100 guys yesterday, about the same number today, and probably more tomorrow. There is word going around that these grippers, especially the #3 and #4 are somewhat "easy". I seriously doubt that. I gave a brand-new #3 gripper to a 9 year old boy at a school I was visiting and he got the gripper to within a quarter-inch of closing it. This tells me that these grippers are still the standard when it comes down to grip strength."

A page from Randall Strossen's Diary - October 1, 2010

"It was a unusual day today. We just produced a whole new batch of grippers and I'm wondering if we're doing something wrong. I just don't understand all the fuss, I mean, we officially certified over 100 guys yesterday, about the same number today, and probably more tomorrow. There is word going around that these grippers, especially the #3 and #4 are somewhat "easy". I seriously doubt that. I gave a brand-new #3 gripper to a 9 year old boy at a school I was visiting and he got the gripper to within a quarter-inch of closing it. This tells me that these grippers are still the standard when it comes down to grip strength."

This is not appropriate for the gripboard John.

Your "Dr. S." diary entry was hilarious! I still can't stop laughing after reading your post then gripper32001 singles event post with a big fat heart... I think he had a few beers and thought it would be nice to screw around with Wannagrip. Actually, I know Wanna has a tough job keeping us in line and has to play the tough guy with us but I tell you guys are funny sometimes.

Wanna,

Sorry. You can delete it if you want - again, I was making light of the situation and not really wanting to show any disrespect towards Mr. Strossen or IronMind.

I think its all relative. Personally I'm going to make darn sure I can close the #3 in any condition, cold or whatever, probably rep it, before I try to certify.