2" Wrist Roller

Clay Edgin

Rolling the weight back down without it spining out of your hand is the toughest part when it comes to heavy wrist rolling.There were times when this happened to me and it peeled the skin right off my hands,ouchhh!!! and my roller was all bloody.

Precisely why I would never use a knurled one. Don't you want to protect your hands, pexter? I don't see the value in adding knurling to the bar to help the grip when you are running the risk of damaging the skin on your hands.?.?

-Jedd-

I have hit 280lbs.on my wrist roller,I had to ice up my forearms after I was done.

This is the one I have: wristroller

Pexter

Is that just a hollow tube? From the picture it looks like there are bearing's on the inside on the end.

Yes It's hollow,with a thick washer welded on the inside.So you can run a 1" rod through it.

I like the knurling on the roller,do to the fact that it builds tougher hands.I was intrested in training iron palm to build them up even further.

Good reasoning.

Iron palm? Is that some type of martial arts thrust?

not a bad price for a beginers kit huh??Looks good for skin conditioning,don't it Jedd.When you become more advanced you use bags filled with gravel,then steel shot!!!

Edited by pexter

Does anybody still do them the old fashioned way actually holding the weight in their arms themselves ?

I prefer 'unsupported' as well, but not by choice. Due to my extensive travelling and moving around I haven't had a chance to set up a supported wrist roller stand. A wrist roller is a very simple exercise tool that can be carried around easily and if weights are unavailable a heavy object (eg. bricks) can be tied to one end instead

The 'unsupported' wrist roller exercise does indeed hit the shoulders hard and after a few reps the back begins to tire as well. But believe me it sure impresses the hell out of people if you are rolling up 20 lbs. or more for reps. Most weightlifters have difficulty doing a single rep with 5 lbs! I am skinny twerp and have completely floored some muscle heads by challenging them to see who can complete the most reps with a wrist roller. With any weight I beat them every time.

Edited by wells

I hold it in the deadlift position and do it standing on a bench. Doesn't tire the shoulders out very much and feels more natural than doing it in a rack, to me.

Jeff

That is how Lee Priest sometimes does his wrist rolling. Even holding your arms down at a 45 degree angle will focus more weight unto your forearms and less on your deltoids and back. I have seen some incredible pictures of Priest pumping out 6-7 reps on an unsupported wrist roller with 45 lbs. with his arms straight out at a 45 degree angle downward. Tough.

not a bad price for a beginers kit huh??Looks good for skin conditioning,don't it Jedd.When you become more advanced you use bags filled with gravel,then steel shot!!!

It also requires years and years of gradual training and ‘build up’. Something that is not stressed except by trusting and caring master instructors. A typical 'Iron Shirt' practioner will train with sand filled bags and wet canvas three-four times a week for one-two years before progressing to the next level which will require three-five years additional years before steel shot and rough gravel are used. I have seen some statistics of hand injuries due to martial art training and some of the most serious were not due to 'breaking' training (surprising) but rather due to impatient and speedy makiwara board and 'iron shirt' (including 'iron palm/hand') training. The reason why was the build up of hairline fractures in the metacarpals, phalanges, and the fore-carpals (4) in the wrist.

A good friend of mine has been training in China at a traditional Shoalin monastery for about six straight years now, taking a 4-5 week vacation every year to return to his home in Annemasse, France near Geneva Switzerland. He is 6’6” and weighs @ 220 lbs. with 4.5% body percent fat. Hell, I have seen him jump off a fifteen foot high wood shed in a straight body posture with his hands held together in front of his face and land solid with legs straight, back straight, etc.! He hopes to finish his training in two years. As of last week, he is in Beijing auditioning for a Wushu film. Anyways, here is a guy that sits on his head (no hands) for 45 minutes to one hour everyday and he still has not struck his hands in either biu jee (finger thrusts) or palm strike forms into anything harder than a bag of course sand (sand mixed with small pebbles). Why? Because his masters have told him it must be gradual over many years as to not cause severe injuries and to develop the true hardness necessary and required to progress in the system. Well he has had very little injuries and is probably the hardest human I have ever touched plus one of the quickest. And I have seen many martial artists and fighters being a training instructor, being in the security and protection fields, as well as training in San Shou (sanda), Pagua, and T'ai Chi Ch'uan for over 15 years.

By the way he closed my COC #2 for five or six reps laughed and said he thought it was pretty cool... made me sick to my stomach as I hadn't closed it yet at that time...

Edited by wells

I have been a student of Iron Palm training for over two and a half years now. It has awesome potential for grip training. The stuff Ive been doing really chews up your hands but they come back stronger than ever. The liniment that you have to put on your hands several times daily smells terrible but brings amazing recovery. Its not for the faint of heart...