Starting point for an untrained woman

Primitivebeasty

Another vote for the Ivanko - the parallel handles are much better than the typical V shape.  As is well known I do not like "nutcracker" type grippers.  If what ever you get has too much spread - you can always choke it down with a hose clamp - it does work strength without having to mess around with a "set" - something she may not really really need (nor does anyone else) - sorry I just had to throw that in..

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you go with the SIlvis adjustables you might as well ask someone who works with metal to make handles without knurling for you, it's very easy, if you know someone in that business. Or you could buy extra handles and sand them down completely, I think they sell them separately, 

I'm a machinist, actually. So I could also totally do that. Didn't even occur to me because the handles on everything else I've seen are glued on. Thanks for pointing that out!

As my training progresses I may consider making my own "rolling thunder" type handles, and tapered pinch blocks, things like that. I'm pretty excited for it actually, but I need to know how committed I am to gripwork before I dedicate any shop time to it.

49 minutes ago, Primitivebeasty said:

I'm a machinist, actually. So I could also totally do that. Didn't even occur to me because the handles on everything else I've seen are glued on. Thanks for pointing that out!

As my training progresses I may consider making my own "rolling thunder" type handles, and tapered pinch blocks, things like that. I'm pretty excited for it actually, but I need to know how committed I am to gripwork before I dedicate any shop time to it.

DEDICATE YOUR LIFE TO ZEE GRIP!

Got the Velociraptor. She can close it better than 3/4 of the way when it is set to 45 pounds, and didn't comment on the knurling. Perhaps it will bother her more when she does more than a few reps, but I can knock it down with some scotch-brite or something if that happens. I think it will be just right for her when we move the handles out some, so we found a good solution. Thanks everybody!

Edited by Primitivebeasty
A word
  • Like 3