Barriers to entering a FIT EXPO contest

riccardomagni

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes that’s a very good outlook. It’s you against you. Do the best you can to beat your former PR.... and see how it goes. Do it for the love of the game and not the hope of the trophy. Many people will see the train pass by and look back and say if I only did this or did that.... and have regrets. I don’t want that in my life. I want to look back and say I tried it, had a blast, and would not change a thing!

I agree.  Then the issue of weight class, 300#+ monsters, and everything else begins to fade away...

I'm not trying to brag, but I got 3rd in the Anaheim FIT EXPO this year weighing 237#.  This was against two VERY large recognizable contestants who are stronger than me in many events but because of the events at that contest, I was able to beat them.  

I never would have gotten 3rd if I didn't go to compete.

1 minute ago, Lucasraymond said:

I signed up yesterday; from what I know it is possible that Jedd, myself, Big Joe Sullivan, and possibly Storm Chellino are going to compete. I suck at thickbar and havent touched a hub in about a year so I wish LBH was an event. 

I know that you signed up.

Thanks.  I look forward to meeting you!

I met you a while back at LA 2016. Personally, the only drawbacks I didn't like was the axle opening at 170kg and the hammerholds - those killed my nonstrongman shoulders before my grip was even a factor. 

Hopefully those issues have been worked out. I would go again! Time and expense are the only issues now. Any consideration of a Texas expo? 

16 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I signed up yesterday; from what I know it is possible that Jedd, myself, Big Joe Sullivan, and possibly Storm Chellino are going to compete. I suck at thickbar and havent touched a hub in about a year so I wish LBH was an event. 

You and me both man! I’ve touched an iron mind hub maybe 2x.... wish it was LBH! I think I’m good for 45 on the hub! Haha ☹️

21 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

It will be great to meet you.  I'm sure that you will do well!!  Good luck this weekend at Jedd's contest.

Thanks Riccardo, probably I might perform better at the expo than at Jedd's event...

You and me both man! I’ve touched an iron mind hub maybe 2x.... wish it was LBH! I think I’m good for 45 on the hub! Haha ☹️

Better than me

19 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

I agree.  Then the issue of weight class, 300#+ monsters, and everything else begins to fade away...

I'm not trying to brag, but I got 3rd in the Anaheim FIT EXPO this year weighing 237#.  This was against two VERY large recognizable contestants who are stronger than me in many events but because of the events at that contest, I was able to beat them.  

It ain’t bragging if it’s true Riccardo. One should never be shy to display their hard earned achievements. That’s what we are here for.... to encourage and get encouragement from each other!

25 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

Ya, I would totally go if it was closer to me. I'm a big guy but you also gotta remember 237 lbs is still considered large for many on the board (Not me as I naturally just weigh a lot). I train with some guys in the 150-170 lb range. attendance at Nags events shot up when we included all the power lifting weight classes a couple years back. Before then comps didn't have weight classes or had 2-3 weight classes and I feel this kept attendance low for the smaller guys. 

Edited by Chez

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Ya, I would totally go if it was closer to me. I'm a big guy but you also gotta remember 237 lbs is still considered large for many on the board (Not me as I naturally just weigh a lot). I train with some guys in the 150-170 lb range. attendance at Nags events shot up when we included all the power lifting weight classes a couple years back. Before then comps didn't have weight classes or had 2-3 weight classes and I feel this kept attendance low for the smaller guys. 

It’s not far from you bro! I’m thinking of going from Syracuse! You’re in Queens right? I mean it’s a good drive but not too far. You should go

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

It's pretty close to you, go compete you bum

haha, I'm gearing up for Nates comp. And then I need a break until Nationals. Also plan on going back to gripmas. I usually plan the comps I'm attending for the year in advance. I like a couple of months in between to recharge the batteries and focus on improving. 

It’s not far from you bro! I’m thinking of going from Syracuse! You’re in Queens right? I mean it’s a good drive but not too far. You should go

ya, its not crazy far. I'm in the suburbs north of NYC but I meet up with guys in queens to train. I'm just a little run down right now for another road trip. I was in a tiny rental car for over 9 hrs each way to make it to gripmas. If I wasn't doing another comp in February and then one in June I would have probably gone. 

39 minutes ago, riccardomagni said:

Yeah I couldn't care less about competing against the big guys; going for PRs and to overall improve my grip game.  I also go to meet new people and hang out with others that have the same interest as me. I want to do well as much as anyone but that isn't the only reason I attend grip and armwrestling contests. 

Edited by Lucasraymond

4 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Yeah I couldn't care less about competing against the big guys; going for PRs and to overall improve my grip game.  

Word up homey! Just asked Amy if she’s ok with me doing the expo.... I think I almost have the green light!

Edited by Guest

Gil Goodman would crush under 200lb class- RT, axle, SB - day 2 Pinch block and HUb - good luck anyone beating him.

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Is he going?

I was stating in general for the Fit expo's that those 5 events I listed- which generally are contested- Gil would be terrific at. I have not seen anyone in the world that has his combined axle and Hub numbers which is a very hard combo to have.  Plus I just saw couple days ago his pinch block was in high 80's 2 years ago!!!!

39 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Gil Goodman would crush under 200lb class- RT, axle, SB - day 2 Pinch block and HUb - good luck anyone beating him.

yep; him and Kody would kick @ss!!

15 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I was stating in general for the Fit expo's that those 5 events I listed- which generally are contested- Gil would be terrific at. I have not seen anyone in the world that has his combined axle and Hub numbers which is a very hard combo to have.  Plus I just saw couple days ago his pinch block was in high 80's 2 years ago!!!!

Yea hub is hard to be good at 

8 hours ago, jvance said:

I met you a while back at LA 2016. Personally, the only drawbacks I didn't like was the axle opening at 170kg and the hammerholds - those killed my nonstrongman shoulders before my grip was even a factor. 

Hopefully those issues have been worked out. I would go again! Time and expense are the only issues now. Any consideration of a Texas expo? 

Of course I remember you.  

The axle and hammer issues have been fixed.  I'm not aware of a Texas FIT EXPO.  If there is one, I will let you know.

8 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Yeah I couldn't care less about competing against the big guys; going for PRs and to overall improve my grip game.  I also go to meet new people and hang out with others that have the same interest as me. I want to do well as much as anyone but that isn't the only reason I attend grip and armwrestling contests. 

I think that Lucas is on to something.  I have made life long friends from the people that i have met in grip/Armlifting.  I now communicate daily with people around the globe about lifting.  This never happened before with any of the other strength sports that I have competed in.  If you are curious, please come and watch.  If you are feeling more aggressive, I say enter the contest.  With 3 months to prepare, there is plenty of time to get ready...

Competitions are awesome, I'm not competing but I'm still considering coming down just to hangout. Everybody on the east coast should go there and you are all strong enough to enter from what I've seen at recent competitions.

not sure which got announced first., but...

This also is the same date as the BIG northeast Bending Competition.   

I live in Philly, but if I was not working that weekend, I would rather make that Long drive to Mass for a unique event then to check this contest out.

but that said, it is cool to see someone trying to promote these contests   I know for a fact that anything happening in that Philly Convention Center can be very expensive    Their are many hidden costs that make events very luctutave - for everyone except the event sponsor 

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Competitions are awesome, I'm not competing but I'm still considering coming down just to hangout. Everybody on the east coast should go there and you are all strong enough to enter from what I've seen at recent competitions.

Please introduce yourself if you can make it!