Preferences and discussion on long steel length (scroll)

canthar

Think I found a supplier for longer steel. Waiting to get all the details on pricing for having the 20' lengths cut down to size. 

The way I am seeing lengths right now is that around 5'-6' is nice for a good visual in regards to on stage bending. While a 3' or 4' is great for a smaller more artistic style piece that's easier to ship. Bending techniques are similar but different between the lengths neither being easier or harder than the other really (depends on the desired outcome from the bend).

As people who know and understand what is involved with bending what would you rather see?

Thanks for your input!

Eric Vining has a nice little book on scrolling as does Jedd Johnson.  Length simply depends on what you want to make.  What I would call "strength scrolls" are relatively short as you mention.  "Artistic" scrolls on the other hands are much longer often using 10' to a full 20' section in one piece to allow for more complex twists and bends. 

If you're looking for some guidance, like Chris mentioned, I teamed up with Bud Jeffries on a Steel Scrolling product a couple years back.  Bud is phenomenal when it comes to scrolling.  The stuff he bent that day BLEW ME AWAY.  It's available in both digital and hard copy:  http://thegripauthority.com/scrolling-dvd.htm

We cover multiple techniques, both stage-style feats, and more personal project types of bends. A bunch of the stuff we bent is near the bottom of the page, also.

I'm not really after guidance here either, it is appreciated though. What I really want to know is what people prefer to see, personal preference. I'm curious.

Just my Personal Preference.  After making the "standard scroll shapes" with 4 -5 - 6 - 8' etc lengths I started going longer and "freestyle" - I found I enjoyed them much more.  Making wine bottle holders and generally more artistic shapes is more fun than making a "fish" or a "fish with eye" over and over etc.  But it's all good - thick hard bends just give a different satisfaction than smaller longer steel does.  It's all good.

• Like 2

Chris,

did you mean Eric made a video instead of a book?  Or is there a book out there?  I tried google, but could not find the book

thanks, Rich

29 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Chris,

did you mean Eric made a video instead of a book?  Or is there a book out there?  I tried google, but could not find the book

thanks, Rich

His video came with a small booklet.