How Long Did It Take You To Close The #3 (From Parallel)?

AryanVegetarian

Some seem to have worked consistently for almost a decade to get there, other gifted individuals just a few months.

How long did it take you? And where did you begin?

Checked my original log recently. Was about 3 months for me Right hand. No idea left hand. Starting point was closing an average #2 from parallel first day I got it which was a couple days after first touching any kind of gripper. The #3 I closed after 3 months is my one that eventually was rated and came in at 154#

- Aaron

• Like 1

It took me one year.

I closed my #1 and #1.5 first time trying them, but I couldn't close my #2.

Closed my #2 after three workouts, doing negatives.

I kept doing negatives with my #2.5 and closed that one after perhaps 3-4 months.

Then negatives with my #3, which I closed exactly one year after closing that #2 first time.

I would guesstimate that #3 to be around 138-140.

I think a big part of it is where your starting point is.

If you already have a fitness/sports/powerlifting background vs someone that doesn't it will happen faster for you.

• Like 3

If you already have a fitness/sports/powerlifting background vs someone that doesn't it will happen faster for you.

I agree with Jared on this one...big variable in this equation...also if you work a manual labor type job where you use your hands alot helps as well...(mechanic, block layer ,farmer..etc)I've done all manual labor from a young age and was able to close a 110# IM#2 the first time outta the package in 2004/2005....after training on the 2 for a while (see high reps lol) the 2.5 was released from ironmind..was able to close a 125# IM2.5 for 2 or 3 when I first got it....Interests changed for a good bit but since getting back to grip training more seriously/consistently now for about the last 5 months I've managed to get a some #3 closes...(which I need to document once a get a suitable video camera setup)... Tell you one thing... this site will help you get there..Lot of strong, determined people here willing to help you out.

Started properly grip training Dec-14 and being able to close a #2 from parallel and very close to a #2.5 from a deep set from the packet. Gained my MM0 cert in the May-15. For me working with high volume daily built up a great base strength

• Like 1

38 years! That said, once I'd decided I wanted it, probably about a year or so but under two...I did have good base strength though.

• Like 1

It took me about 22 months of dedicated, focused training to close a #3.

I got my first grippers in June of 2006. To start I could not close the #2. I was about 1/2" off. I posted this pic in the gallery and then started a training log here at the board when I closed the #2. That was August of 2006.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/1156253518/gallery_9552_555_40075.jpg

After that I struggled with my Super Master for what seemed like forever. The #2.5 came out during this time and I met up with a GB member who had one. I destroyed it easily which confirmed my Super Master was a difficult one. This was January of 2007, about 8 months into training. The 2.5 close:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/1167095323/gallery_9552_555_14395.jpg

I finally closed that Super Master in June of 2007, 1 year of training. Rating has since shown it's about a 130# gripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-48xQwBU780

I did my MM0 certification in 2007 but in hindsight I know that #3 is probably one of the easiest I've ever closed. It felt very similar to my Super Master. Definitely a 130s #3.

So my first "real" #3 close came in April of 2008. I remember because I had just moved into a new home and had Chris Mathison over for a grip workout. I finally closed my own #3 which was a 148-150 gripper. I wish I still had that video but it was posted to Google Video and didn't get converted to YouTube. At that point I would have been training for about 22 months.

Then I got my all-time best close of a 164 Elite in Septermber of 2010. A little over 4 years of training. I also did my MM1 certification that same month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PVxCU4tdc

• Like 3

May 2012 I closed a 2.5 with a CCS. Didn't touch a single gripper until October or so of 2014 closed the 3 and the ghp 7 first time I tried. Then I worked on my sets and submitted the mm0. Then about 6 months ago did the mm1. I never trained grippers, all I did was bend steel and rarely use straps when lifting.

• Like 1

End 2008, bought my first #3, mid 2010 first parallel set close. I closed my #2 the first time btw end 2008. Did several closes that session when I closed my 3 first time. did it after a vacation. I could have gotten it earlier, but overtrained in that period I think. The #3 was in the 150 -153 area, judging my other rated #3's now. CCS however, see my log heh. 5 years now, some injuries, private stuff and typical life things included which caused me delay. Now I can CCS light and medium #3's on a very good day, heavy #3's still prove a challenge.

Edited by Geralt

Took me 7 years. Started at the equivalent of a Point Five, which had not come out yet. Was a week short of 53 years old when I finally did it.

• Like 2

I started with barely closing coc1 and 2.5 years later closed coc 3 and certed MM0. Maybe could do it faster if focused more on grippers.

About 2-3 months. I started straight with #3 gripper. Didn´t know what to do but I have good advicers (Teemu Ilvesniemi, Matti Heiskanen, Tomi Kujala)

My 1st coc#3 close:

:grin:

• Like 1